MAC Matte - Carbon

4.1

Talc, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol [ /- Silica, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)]

on 3/17/2015 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ultimate jet black matte eyeshadow that last long and doesn't smudge on me. I use this to set my liquid liner (Jordana FabuLiner) and it really makes a difference. It makes my liner last longer, even at the gym when I go after work! It stays in place and keeps the liner looking matte which is great. The only small downfall is that there is some fallout, but I place some tissue under the eye before I apply it and there isn't any issues. I had it for about 3-4 months and its still going. I will definitely repurchase!

on 2/18/2015 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Good basic black. Not super pigmented, but I agree with other reviewers that it is nice to have more control in building the color. Can be tricky to blend. Typographic is much more pigmented but unfortunately I had an allergic reaction, so I'm sticking with Carbon. I use it in the outer V, crease, and as a liner.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First swatch isn't very impressive. I'm used to having eyeshadows having full on pigment, when testing them out. But this does what its supposed to and blends perfectly. Its easy to layer and is easy to work with. Most black shadows deposit too heavily and ruin my eye looks. Its nice and black without all the trouble they usually cause.

on 10/18/2014 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

There is nothing special about Carbon. It looks black but shows up dark grey & is very dupe able. It was not worth the $16 as its not a color I reach for often. Also for a color as basic as black Sally Girl would be a great alternative. I ended up giving this away & will not repurchase.

on 8/14/2014 9:49:00 PM

I use this more as an eyeliner than a shadow and for that purpose I love it. It's a nice matte black. Great quality, doesn't make a mess. Love!

on 8/1/2014 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is kinda patchy. I think there are other matte blacks that will work better.
Meh.

on 5/6/2014 11:28:00 PM

Perfect crease color for a dramatic effect. I find it highly pigmented, so don't put too much on your brush at one time. It's better to start off with a little bit and work your way up. I like to use the MAC #217 blending brush to apply this to my crease. This black basically works with any eye shadow color. I like how it is matte...That way I can just add some shimmer powder over it when I am in the mood for it!

I use my smashbox eyeliner brush to apply this is an eyeliner as well. It's easy to smudge if you want to, and I don't get a lot of fall out when I use it!

on 3/25/2014 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Eh, Carbon. Formulation has changed significantly over the years, not nearly as pigmented or smooth as it once was. In order for me to even get a somewhat decent smoky eye with it, I have to use Blackground paint pot as a base & load TONS of Carbon onto a brush. With so many other better black e/s on the market (Sugarpill, Saucebox, MUG, even Milani for half the price MAC is), MAC better step their game up, in a hurry!

on 1/25/2014 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've had this eyeshadow for years, and it's not even close to showing pan. It isn't my favorite matte black eyeshadow to use, because it's not very pigmented, it's fairly patchy, and it can be hard to blend. If you want to use it for a smokey eye, you really need a dark cream eyeshadow as a base first. You're better off using Urban Decay's Blackout.

on 11/18/2013 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I use this as eyeliner with wet eyeliner brush. Carbon is very well pigmented eye shadow, but requires primer to stay in place.