Tarte Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

4.1

Translucent - Silica, Kaolin, Lecithin, Lysophosphatidic Acid, Lysolecithin.

on 8/24/2015 1:27:00 AM

Wow, I'm surprised by all of the negative reviews! But then again, different products work for different makeup routines, skin types, etc... First, they've updated the packaging from what is pictured, and it is SUCH a big improvement! The first one I had actually broke, and was much more difficult to use than the current packaging. It lasts forever; I'd had my original powder for a couple of years and finally just purchased a new one when I saw they'd changed the packaging, despite not being out of my original.

I find this looks really natural, not cakey, no white cast, and it truly sets my makeup; my liquid foundation doesn't feel tacky at all after I set it with this powder. It's described as a finishing powder, and it does give a nice airbrushed finish, but I use it as a setting powder and I prefer using it that way; I typically look for some sort of illuminating or slight color in a setting powder.

You really don't need very much product, a very light application is enough to set your makeup and keep it from looking unnatural. I've tried many other powders (Urban Decay, L'Oreal, Laura Geller, NYC, Make Up For Ever, etc...) and this is still my favorite. In fact, I went and tried a few other powders thinking I might like them better than this one, and ended up coming back to this one in the end. There are other pressed powders I enjoy using when I want a bit of coverage or something that is easy to take with me in my purse, but this is by far my favorite loose setting powder. I can't promise I won't try other products since I am a product junkie, but this will always have a place in my makeup drawer.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

The concept of this product is great, and the way it makes my skin look is great; however, it contains a known cancer-causing ingredient, so I had to return. Please research 'Lysophosphatidic Acid' before you purchase this. Yes, I understand we are exposed to carcinogens all the time, but I decided that I don't want to knowingly increase my risk by using something that has so many other alternatives.

So I bought this because I was in desperate need of a translucent powder, I use the Laura Mercier one everyday and I love it but I bought this one because I was in a hurry and ULTA doesn't sell LM. I am not a huge fan of the smell, it's not chemically but it does have a destinct smell to it. The overall performance of the powder I felt was nice but it was kinda chalky,though it did keep my face matte through out the day I still prefer the LM one, and because I still have a lot of it left I tap a little extra on my eyelids before I apply the shadow and around my nose before I use my MAC Studio Fix PP to add a little extra to help with the oiliness if I'm going to be outside or have a long day.

on 5/26/2015 3:41:00 AM

It gives me the most natural look on top of my foundation and my makeup doesn't budge because of this. My skin is oily/combo by the way and it keeps my skin matte.

on 4/28/2015 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I just don't like this product, I had high hopes for it because I adore the Smooth Operator tinted moisturizer (now called BB cream I believe). I've had this about 2 years and use it off and on, the finish is not matte on me, almost shiny?? There's something odd about the finish imo. The powder itself feels very light and finely milled which is the nicest thing about it. The packaging is horrible, a jar with a small hole in the top. There's always too much or too little coming out of this. It doesn't look natural on me at all which is my biggest issue with this product. Would not repurchase.

on 3/15/2015 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't think this product should be so expensive (at sephora)! half of the product flies everywhere when you dip your brush in it and I'm not a big fan of the smell. BUT i would like to say that it really gives me that air brush look and keeps my make up in place. It has a smooth feel to it and is very light weight. For someone who has oily skin, this finishing powder keeps my foundation in check for a good 8 hours! I really love this product but like I said the price is the only thing that makes me cringe.

on 1/7/2015 11:52:00 PM

Product itself is OK, nothing special. It mattifies my normal skin with no white cast. Dislike packaging...the top does not screw on properly. Also, the powder flies all over the place and I feel like I am inhaling it in, even if I hold my breath during application.

on 1/7/2015 7:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Having the oiliest skin on planet Earth, this was the first finishing powder that EVER worked with controlling my oil. I have used it daily for years now. I love it and won't be a day without it! It has even improved since they recently added more holes in the distributor lid and made its format larger (easier to dispense and easier to apply to my kabuki brush). I am so happy that they also now have the pressed version of this powder which I use for travel. All of that being said, I am also using Tarte's Maracuja oil (as my moisturizer - I never dreamed that using oil directly on my oily skin would work, but it has balanced it out!) I use Tarte's BB Cream (12 Hour "Primer") as my foundation, which I also believe helps to control the oil. (I like it even more than the Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Foundation, because the BB cream contains SPF 30.) My point is that all of the products work well TOGETHER for me controlling oil. Some reviews have mentioned that they don't like the white color of this powder, however if that's the case, I think too much has been applied. It's microfine, and only a teeny bit is needed (barely visible on the brush). If I apply too much, I just dust some of Tarte's powder foundation on top of it. LOVE THIS!!

on 11/28/2014 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This product is terrible!!! Save yourselves the trouble and just use baby powder! This powder lasted me a couple of years, and it really does its job in clogging up oily pores (I have combo-skin, mostly forehead), but this is really an over-priced product with too many downsides to it.

I HATE the packaging. Almost with a passion. I've actually broke it intentionally and wrapped with foil because it drove me crazy. The screw-cap isn't even the right shape for its bottom, so screwing it back on takes like 15 tries. The powder sucks up all your oils, but your face/pores will feel SO tight and uncomfortable. It also leaves behind white powder on your skin and dries the heck out of your skin. The price is $$. Not worth it.

on 11/7/2014 9:36:00 PM

Ehhh... What else can I say? Right now, I'm using this powder every day just to get rid of it, because I want to use up my makeup before getting new makeup. I use more than I should, so that it runs out faster, so I can get something new :P

First the packaging, what a nightmare. They tried to make it a cool, portioned control packaging-- I can never get it out.

When I do get it out, the smell! I don't know what it is, but I don't like it.

Then- the application. It is much more chalky then the MUFE HD, and I can't use it on my forehead because it makes my pores stand out.

I would not repurchase, and I am excited for when I don't have to use it everday