Tarte Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

4.1

Translucent - Silica, Kaolin, Lecithin, Lysophosphatidic Acid, Lysolecithin.

on 1/7/2015 11:52:00 PM

Product itself is OK, nothing special. It mattifies my normal skin with no white cast. Dislike packaging...the top does not screw on properly. Also, the powder flies all over the place and I feel like I am inhaling it in, even if I hold my breath during application.

on 1/7/2015 7:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Having the oiliest skin on planet Earth, this was the first finishing powder that EVER worked with controlling my oil. I have used it daily for years now. I love it and won't be a day without it! It has even improved since they recently added more holes in the distributor lid and made its format larger (easier to dispense and easier to apply to my kabuki brush). I am so happy that they also now have the pressed version of this powder which I use for travel. All of that being said, I am also using Tarte's Maracuja oil (as my moisturizer - I never dreamed that using oil directly on my oily skin would work, but it has balanced it out!) I use Tarte's BB Cream (12 Hour "Primer") as my foundation, which I also believe helps to control the oil. (I like it even more than the Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Foundation, because the BB cream contains SPF 30.) My point is that all of the products work well TOGETHER for me controlling oil. Some reviews have mentioned that they don't like the white color of this powder, however if that's the case, I think too much has been applied. It's microfine, and only a teeny bit is needed (barely visible on the brush). If I apply too much, I just dust some of Tarte's powder foundation on top of it. LOVE THIS!!

on 11/28/2014 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This product is terrible!!! Save yourselves the trouble and just use baby powder! This powder lasted me a couple of years, and it really does its job in clogging up oily pores (I have combo-skin, mostly forehead), but this is really an over-priced product with too many downsides to it.

I HATE the packaging. Almost with a passion. I've actually broke it intentionally and wrapped with foil because it drove me crazy. The screw-cap isn't even the right shape for its bottom, so screwing it back on takes like 15 tries. The powder sucks up all your oils, but your face/pores will feel SO tight and uncomfortable. It also leaves behind white powder on your skin and dries the heck out of your skin. The price is $$. Not worth it.

on 11/7/2014 9:36:00 PM

Ehhh... What else can I say? Right now, I'm using this powder every day just to get rid of it, because I want to use up my makeup before getting new makeup. I use more than I should, so that it runs out faster, so I can get something new :P

First the packaging, what a nightmare. They tried to make it a cool, portioned control packaging-- I can never get it out.

When I do get it out, the smell! I don't know what it is, but I don't like it.

Then- the application. It is much more chalky then the MUFE HD, and I can't use it on my forehead because it makes my pores stand out.

I would not repurchase, and I am excited for when I don't have to use it everday

on 10/27/2014 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Interesting product. I purchased this after a lot of research into products for oily skin. This does a good job absorbing oil from my face and eyelids initially, but it doesn't last.

It comes in a container with a tiny hole through which you are supposed to force the powder. I always get too much or not enough. It does leave a white cast on the face and I'm very fair skinned. This would be a much better product if they could add a little color to it.

on 10/21/2014 8:22:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This made my face itch almost immediately after using it so I will obviously not repurchase. Overall this product is finely milled and soft. It works similar to the MUFE HD powder but I like that one much better because it seemed to keep the oiliness at bay just a teeny tiny bit longer and it also didn't make my face itch. It was also kind of annoying how they only put one hole in the top for the powder to come out instead of several.

on 10/13/2014 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I LOVE this finishing powder. So smooth, so soft, and stays put. You can't see it on the face after you set your makeup either, which is a huge plus. It just is translucent. A lot of finishing powders for me personally end up looking cakey and chalky.

They crease in spots and look like you are wearing a ton of makeup. I hate that look, I seriously detest it, but this stuff is magic. it never gives that look. It's all natural and it doesn't irritate my face or make me itchy.

on 10/2/2014 10:50:00 PM

I've tried all kinds of finishing powders. I love the amazonian clay foundation so I was super excited to get this product. However I am very disappointed with this product. I have very fine colored skin. This powder doesn't do anything. Its literally like I haven't put anything on. It doesn't smooth my pores or mattify my face. Definitely not worth the money.

on 9/27/2014 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I think this is a really good powder!

Pros:
-mattifys the face
-smooths fine lines and pores (it will not hide them, just make them appear a little softer)
-does not break me out.
-very finely milled
-few ingrediants
-does not leave a bad white cast
-prolongs makeup wear

I use this probably every day, and I've had this for a year and I still have quite a bit of product left! I use this before my liquid or powder to help control oil, or over liquid or powder to smooth the face a bit. In my opinion, this does help with oil control. So it's a winner in my book.

Cons:
-horrible packaging. I find it very tedious to dispense the product from that one tiny hole. So I just punctured a few extra ones and that solves that problem.
-PRICY. For the ingredients in this powder, I don't believe it should be so expensive. But I am willing to shell out the 30+ dollars for a reliable product.
-I do not believe there is actually amazonian clay in it. No where does it say it does.

Overall, I would repurchase.:)

on 9/12/2014 10:40:00 PM

Just an average finishing powder. There are cheaper alternatives. I didn't notice any difference in oil control or helping my foundation last longer.