September 1, 2014 | 1909 users online

Powder - Tarte - Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 5:23:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the best powder I have ever used. It sets make up wonderfully, leaves a very pretty matte finish, isn't cakey, and doesn't irritate my skin. It has a wonderful light and finely milled texture that buffs into my skin very well. It can leave a white cast if applied too heavily though, which is the only downfall of the product itself. The packaging is another story. The jar that houses it has one teeny tiny hole in the sifter, and it takes forever to sprinkle out enough powder to actually use. I enlarged the hole just slightly and it works much better for me now. I am on my second jar and even with almost daily use one jar lasts almost 2 years so I feel that it is a good value for the money. I will continue to buy this as long as Tarte continues to make it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2014 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Laiscg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this powder very much. It does really keeps my skin shine-free all day long, looking super natural, and it's the best I've ever tried for that (I've used MAC's blot for years, but this one looks more natural and tha mattifying effect lasts longer). This powder is white but applies really translucent, it doesn't leave that dreaded white cast. It's also SUPER finelly milled, doesn't cake at all and feels good over skin. Never gave me millia or breakouts as well (and I tend to get those with mineral makeup - actually now I've realised this is the first mineral makeup that I love.) It's not cheap but I use a really small amount so I guess it will last long.
I took one lippie for the packaging - seriously, wtf. It's a pain to get the powder out of it, but it's woth the effort anyway.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2014 8:22:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my HG setting powder. I have a lovely Sephora associate to thank you for introducing me to tarte's smooth operator. I use it to set my BB cream. Perfect matte finish, no added color to change one's foundation. It blurs the appearance of the pores on my nose...looks airbrushed. Does not cause me to break out at all. I love this powder. Works well for my acne prone skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2014 6:51:00 PM More reviews by jenny1974

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for about 2 years now, and I genuinely love what it does for my face. I have very oily skin and this powder mattifies me, and - more importantly - keeps me shine-free for at least a couple of hours before I feel the need to blot (yes, my skin is THAT oily). The powder creates a beautiful, natural finish that's matte but not flat - my skin glows without looking shiny. I like this powder much better than MUFE HD, as it keeps my look fresh for about 10 times as long.

It would be perfection, except...

The packaging sucks. It really, really sucks. Every day, I wrestle to get a usable amount of powder out of that tiny little hole by banging the jar on the lid. I have to use scissors to make the hole bigger (but not too big, or else too much powder will come out), but still, the hole eventually gets clogged. No matter what, I'm shaking and tapping that stupid plastic jar for at least 30 seconds. Every day. Which means I'm annoyed every day. For the price I pay for this product, I expect it should be easy to use. It should feel luxurious and glamorous to use. It doesn't. Plus, the plastic they use for the jar is cheap and flimsy, and the lid NEVER - in all the jars I've bought - twists on perfectly the first time.

Still, I'll continue to repurchase. Performance-wise, it's the best finishing powder out there.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by misskalli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great product. I got it from my points at Sephora. I would have NEVER pay the full price for it. I agree with other MUA users. Too messy to use. I either get waaaaay too much or not enough! It's frustrating. I usually just have to dump it out on a napkin and save the rest for another day. Kind of a waste if you ask me. I've accidentally thrown away the powder before.
It's nice, but I prefer a more multi-purpose powder. Something with a SLIGHT tint so I can use it as an eyeshadow catcher under my eyes. If I did that with this, I would end up with WHITE bags under my eyes lol
Other than the cons, a GREAT product. Keeps my makeup on and fresh all day :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2014 5:00:00 AM More reviews by MarinaJohaness

Upon application, it gives a beautiful finish with a soft focus effect. Don't really like the smell though. Maybe it's just me.

I have issues using the small little hole to get the powder out. Always end up removing the entire plastic top, tip some powder onto the cover and swirl my brush in it. Messy situation!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by kassijade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great setting powder, lasts forever a whole year of product in that little container and gives you the perfect little amount, to prevent you from using too much at one time, I like that it has clay in it to soak up oil and minimize the look of pores, also its invisible and doesnt make your face older looking like some powders do.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by lola444

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product!!! it totally controls my oil the whole day and with really pleasant smell. it's just fantastic, what else can i say?! the only thing is it comes in transparent (or maybe white, hard to say) so I have to use another powder to fix my foundation before I finish all up with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2014 12:43:00 PM More reviews by kailingggg

This product is god sent. I just dust a little all over my face and it just gives off such a natural finish and helps my makeup last for quite a long period of time.

One thing that irks me about white powder is that it will usually create a ashy cast over your face, but rest assure, this one doesn't. Oily again? No problem, just blot off the oil and reapply this. Doesn't clog my pores, doesn't settle in fine lines. But do note if you have dry patches, use a good moisturizer underneath, because i do feel this will emphasize on it.

Overall, this powder is holy grail level, though i hope they will widen the hole. lol. I had such a hard time tapping out the powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 11:41:00 PM More reviews by ellieeeeee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

To start off, this product is AMAZING! This is my first Tarte product, and I am beyond impressed. Buying this, I honestly didn't have high expectations considering all the products I have bought before, claiming to control oiling skin, didn't. I have spent loads of money searching for that one product to help with my very oily skin. Of course I've realized that as hard as I try, there is no product that will completely get rid of my oily skin, but I think this is about as close as I will ever get. After applying, my face is matte for 2-3 hours and even after it isn't near as oily as it used to be. If I want my face to be matte again all I have to do is reapply or use a blotting sheet and BAM, many more hours of a shine free face! Before I found this, my face would be an oil slick after just 30 minutes. I even think this product has helped with my acne, because since I've been using this I've had less breakouts and my skin is nearly clear. It's a bit pricey, but worth every penny. The packaging could be a bit better, but that is seriously the least of my worries. I use this alone with primer and concealer because I don't need much coverage, but if it isn't enough for you alone, I know it will work great with foundation. Not only is my skin oily, but it is also sensitive and this hasn't caused my face to become dry at all like some products for oily skin have. I really don't know how I survived without this, because it is just so wonderful. I'm planning on using this for a long time, and hope Tarte will never discontinue this! Right when I had given up and accepted the fact that I would never find something to really help my oily skin, I found this! Tarte, thank you SO much!