July 29, 2014 | 2088 users online

Eye Shadow - Make Up For Ever - Bronze No.84

rated 4.0(1 review)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2010 4:47:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"The unique texture of MAKE UP FOR EVER Eyeshadow is due to its high pigment density, which makes them last and last. You can obtain maximum coverage with the Matte texture; the Semi-Matte has a silky satiny feel; and the iridescent shades give a transparent sheen."

Claims - True or False?
1) High pigment density: True.
2) Long-lasting: True.
3) Silky, satiny feel: True.

Packaging:
Comes in a sleek and slim black compact, with a slender window running down the lid allowing you to see the shade. The lid flips open and stays closed with a magnet. I find that the plastic, perhaps because of the sheen, gives off a bit of a cheap appearance, but otherwise I do like the packaging. I've never had issues with durability or it breaking in any way. One thing that I'd like to see changed though is how far back the lid opens. It only opens to a 90 degree angle, and I'd prefer it to open completely, as the lid can easily close when you don't want it to.

Consistency:
Although it's not as nice as some of the other MUFE shadows I own, or other shadows in general (including drug store products), it is a good, solid shadow. While not chalky in the least, it is a little powdery. This means it can easily cause fallout while applying, as well as doesn't apply as evenly as some of my other shadows with the initial layer. It is very smooth though, and has a very pretty finish; not really shimmery or glittery, but it has a nice luminous sheen. The colour itself is described quite basically as a bronze. However, I find that it really doesn't look all that bronze to me, perhaps due to the depth and darkness of the shade. I find that in some lights it takes on a bit of a dark khaki undertone, and in others it will appear a little greyer. I find the colour to be versatile enough to use with multiple shades. Pigmentation is about semi-opaque, while never really matching the depth in the pan when layered on the lid.

Other Notable Aspects:
Despite being a bit powdery, it blends very well without completely removing the shadow you've just applied. It gives off a soft finish. It definitely applies best when using a denser brush so as to minimize fallout and to apply it more opaquely.

Bang for your Buck:
This shadow and others in this line come in at $19.00USD for 2.5g. While it may seem expensive at first, these shadows can last quite some time with regular use. However, I find that when compared to their star powders, these shadows are used up faster and more product is used, yet this one provides less product for the same price.

Final Consensus:
A pretty shade, slightly neutral, and easy to work with. I initially thought it was a dark green shade when I bought it at Sephora, and was surprised to see it was not a green when I got home. Regardless, I'm happy with the purchase, and I do quite like the shade. If you are looking for a dark neutral that has minimal shimmer with a somewhat interesting tone to it, give No.84 a shot!
- Pros: Pretty colour, understated shimmer with a nice pearlized finish, decent quality, doesn't crease, can be used sheerly or with more intensity, works wonderfully smoothed over the lower lash line without looking harsh.
- Cons: A little pricey, not as high-quality as some of their other shadows, a little too powdery, does not offer full pigmentation, can fade minimally over the day.

Overall Rating: 4/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.