Yves Saint Laurent Opium

3.9

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Back in the day when I was working the fragrance counter at Macy's and hawking it, Opium was flying off the shelves. Everyone was wearing it. People talk of Giorgio and how it created a sensory overload but Opium was right up there in its distinct aroma and how women over-sprayed it. Now, the prices for a vintage bottle are ridiculous. Is it worth it?

Looking at its notes, yes, Opium is everything its cracked up to be. It embodies all its notes. It's an outrageous perfume. This can be a grand old dame, wrapped in soft velour, adorned with Mikimoto pearls, carrying a Judith Leiber clutch or a bar-fly with a hiked-up faux-leather Guess skirt, Sam Edelman booties and a crop top. Anyone and everyone has worn it and altho it is a classic that stands alone, it is so well-known it is no longer special. It's lost it's uniqueness.

It had its place back then in the late '70's and '80's when the powerhouse perfumes were all the rage. Rock 'n' roll was loud, clothes were big and so were the hairstyles and attitudes. It just fit the time period. You'd wear it and strut because you could. Wearing it today outside takes a certain attitude, a certain way of dressing, it's a completely different way to be.

I'm not saying Opium can't be appreciated today, it just can't be appreciated in the same way because this isn't the same time period. Some perfumes stay beautiful and always will be, but they just don't make it into the mainstream of the future decades.
Opium is a perfume that needs to sampled by all vintage lovers because it belongs in the perfume Hall of Fame. It's rich in feeling, opulent in spices and incense, animalistic in nature and makes you want to let go. It will strangle the weak enslave the willing. If you are a fan of patchouli, spices, incense, myrhh, cloves and too many others to list, go for it. You won't be sorry. But be forewarned, you're signing up for the den of inequity to other perfumes. You may never be the same.

I got the edt which I wear comfortably around people hopefully without offending anyone's personal tastes. *I'm hoping here*
I like the edp too so might go back soon and get me one but not sure if the slight difference in these is worth the cost
On me my edt is dry smokey clean and a bit of sweet cloves which is ok, with a mix of chi-tea spice maybe something fruity. People do seem to like it on me (without saying anything, I can tell because they don't avoid me) It lasts several hours but I was hoping for some vanilla, sandal wood, musk, resin, amber, incense and balsam but alas it does not want to show itself.

I've not met the previous formula of Opium so I can't compare. Since the one now supposedly does not smell the same as the bygone one, it would be nice if reviews were for the now one.
The Opium that's in stores now smells to me like a slightly sharp, warm and woody, clean, unisex? without noticeable floral, if there is spice then its smokey spice but not clear to my nose, ending with balsam.
This scent is not too strong, I'd consider it easy enough to wear anytime, any season.
I have noticed on me sometimes it gets a bit of a burning rubber smell within the first hour which lasts and other times I don't notice it. I'm not too keen on the rubbery smell. It could be a reaction of Vetiver essential oil which can smell like rubber, its suppose to have an earthy grounding aroma which is calming and relaxing.
I like this YSL Opium EDP very much at times when I'm stressed it does its magic to help me.

Would be nice if YSL could produce tiny bottles of the original old formula for those who prefer it. YSL could perhaps put a warning on the label about allergies or whatever to cover themselves legally

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Top notesmandarin and bergamot notes, deepened by myrrh, jasmine and carnation. Base note amber. A classic. I prefer the EDT. Even the reformulated version (the one you buy in stores now) is not half bad...very good.

Yes, this used to be different, but not necessary STRONGER, they just took the high-quality
franckincense out, and the deep ethereal myrrhe that gave it that characteristic melancholic
and distant base-note that came fluffing up in little breezes even after you thought it had longlong disappeared, everything else was gone and still you had the softy appearing-disppearing of the marvelous incense-myrrhe that gave it a steady COOLNESS inspite being called an óriental'. The only other fragrance with that sollemn cool incense-basenote was,mind you, INCENSE by Givenchy, legendary, and there was no insence at all in this later
just so many well-composed and regrouped elegant flowers that they made together a
symphony of pure insence and myrrhe.....now is that art or is tthat art?
Back to Opium, he's gone, one of the most original melancholic notes in parfumhistory, only compareable to the blues of L'HEURE BLUE, so amen.
The modern resuscitation, or zombie if yoy like, does stil look a lot like the classic, but is much more brighter and flowerish with no undernotes ( drydown a lot simpler and faster ) more linear and happier ( because we are happier aren't we ).
But I still like it and recognise it as a big part of my Opium, thats the reason i still bought it,
i miss it otherwise. But am i clever in doing so? No, we should strike and sent millions of emails to that multinational, because YSL is not happy ( he was a melancholic so there's reason for those blue original notes that first enhance your blue mood then affirm it and at last vanish the mood out in a O.Wildish sarcasm decadent rage) and so aren''t the Opium-affecionados.They should realise that we don't let ourselves be scammed and lied to and they should honour the true beloveres of the smell for almost 40 years!!! There's no new marketgroup to fill those enormous sellinggaps, it's money and we shouldn't give it,N.B.:it was the second worldwide-selling hit only after n.5 C.!!! ART. Skystone:try L'HEURE BLUE!!

This is a very good perfume. The only thing I dont like is that its weak for me. This review is for the edt. I don't understand people trashing it in other reviews, its very well made, subtle, coherent scent. The spices are very suave and it smells like good expensive incense.
I wish I had the vintage fragrance, but this review is about the new formulation. If it was a lot stronger it would be much nicer.
It's very original, comforting and elegant perfume.
It doesnt hurt that the bottle is beautiful either.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This smells like a bad Bijan Cologne that my uncle used to wear back in the day (let’s hope that his taste have changed since then). When it comes to the fragrances that I wear, I prefer something light and this is definitely not it. I will not purchase.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

definitely buy again I want the bigger bottle everyone knows iv got this perfume on when I put it on lasts all day love it love it love it

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent is not a sweet, rich contemporary oriental a la Serge Lutens. It opens with a heavy dose of aldehydes, sweet florals—ylang ylang and jasmine—and a touch of citrus. The sweet floral/aldehyde combination, also found in Chanel No. 5, is just enough to add a “perfume-y” touch. Next, myrrh, resins, and spices add warmth that balances the cold opening. I love how earthy patchouli is offset by soapy florals; Opium smells very “70s”, but I think that one or two sprays after a shower could produce an elegant and freshly scrubbed effect. Four or five sprays could be a little bingo hall. Also, men really need to try Opium.

Retro, unisex, perfume-y, elegant

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is my mums holy grail perfume, it's just like, her scent. I think this perfume is soooo gorgeous and it smells classy. Gorgeous warm scent. I like to use it when I go out :-) the packaging is really nice too! I do like a pretty perfume bottle. I want to purchase black opium, purely because the packaging is so pretty - I'm terrible!! But really, if you like long lasting perfume that will get lots of people saying you smell good you need to invest in this! It's just an absolute timeless classic.

Popular Fragrances