July 25, 2014 | 1103 users online

Fragrances - Yves Saint Laurent - Opium

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2014 8:35:00 PM More reviews by kbono23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

love this fragrance, really strong deep and sensual sent that really lasts! find myself coming back to this time and time again. love

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 3:32:00 PM More reviews by jeane519

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Loved the original from the 80's, haven't smelled the newer versions. I will check them out. Even though most of the 80's perfumes were heavy, they remind me of such a good period of my life :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2014 7:05:00 AM More reviews by ninanina

Funny how something can smell soooo wonderful on someone else and not on you...that would be Opium for me.I have stopped 3 women who are wearing this because it smells so good..finally sprayed some last time at Saks...within one hour a migraine. Too bad too because it is lovely...I'll stick with Dior Addict.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 1:56:00 PM More reviews by ncashen

I have never tried the legendary vintage version of YSL's Opium, but my love for the current version makes me curious. This designer classic is a sophisticated oriental that lingers around the wearer. One of my top fragrances if all time.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2014 8:49:00 AM More reviews by FelisCatus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Too strong for me.I love sweet and light scents and this is definitely not one of them.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 3:34:00 PM More reviews by prettygeeky

Dark. Sensual. Serious. So glad that I found this, it suits me perfectly. HG!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 10:11:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

This isn't a fragrance for the faint of heart! One spritz of Opium surrounds its wearer with musky woods and sharp orientals that dry down to a sensual cinnamon-amber(the best part). It's intoxicating and invites compliments, I've never had so many people ask me, "what are you wearing?" Or they tell me I smell good! Wears close to the skin and lasts all day! 12 hours later, I can smell it on my scarf :) Because of all the positive feedback and sex appeal I feel while wearing Opium, this has quickly become my signature HG scent.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 10:45:00 AM More reviews by sillage

I was never an Opium fan -- mostly because of its absence of prominent vanilla. I love orientals, but mostly just the ones with a noticeable warm vanilla note (like Dior Addict, Dior Hypnotic Poison, Must de Cartier, or Givenchy Organza Indecence, for example).

Opium was all woods & spice, and I thought it was too tough & stern, sort of, not softly sensuous enough. My sister wore Opium a lot when it first launched, and when she'd walk past me with it on, I never really loved it (what I loved on my sister was Jovan Musk for Women spray, the 70's version).

And THEN ... about 10 years ago, or more ... I was walking through the center of the perfume department at Dillard. And a whiff hit me -- and I literally stopped dead in my tracks -- sniffed some more -- and backed up. And stood there sniffing & trying to guess what it was. Mmmmmm!

What hit my nose was soft & warm & musky -- just that -- a soft warm delicious musk -- and I thought it was *awesome*! Then, after I backed up and was standing there sniffing and trying to figure it out myself -- yes, it was soft, warm, & musky -- but it also seemed to have a bit of fruit to it -- it was a little bit delicious, with the fruit note, as well as being warmly musky.

Then I asked the sales associates, "What am I smelling that smells so GOOD?" And this very young 22-ish sales associate said she had just sprayed the tester of Opium EDT (in tall clear oval-shaped bottle with russet cap) all up and down her clothing, and that must be what I was smelling.

Opium EDT? Well, I was shocked. It wasn't uber-spicy or woody -- it just gave off a soft light warm musk, for the most part -- and it worked very nicely on that young girl, even though it hadn't touched her skin, just her clothing. That wonderful whiff gave me a whole new impression of Opium, since I'm a huge fan of warm musky scents.

Opium launched in 1977, and here are the notes, per parfumo.net

Top Notes: Bergamot, Clove, Jasmine, Coriander, Laurel, Mandarin, Pepper, Plum, Citruses
Heart Notes: Orris root, Lily-of-the-valley, Carnation, Patchouli, Peach, Rose, Sandalwood, Cinnamon
Base Notes: Amber, Benzoin, Coconut, Musk, Myrrh, Opoponax, Sandalwood, Tolu balsam, Vanilla, Vetiver, Frankincense, Cedar, Cistus

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2013 6:49:00 AM More reviews by etherealbeingsss

Ohh this reminds me of golden brown, and i am golden brown, the bottle is golden brown, it fits me so well, i love this soooooo much ohhh...
first time i smelled it on my grandma as a little child and i adored it until i was 13 or so and asked her if i could have it so she gave it to me... i like the new formulation more though and also the bottle but sadly my bottle broke :( and a lot of it dripped out its only half full now i am so sad about that but i will definetly buy a new one when this is completely empty. love love love love it i feel like a diva, like a sexy queen when i wear this.
va va voom effect. and its not for old women i am only 18 ;)

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2013 7:13:00 PM More reviews by skystone

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This review is for the original formula- yes, there is a difference...

Opium is the only fragrance I've worn for almost 15 years and I love it! It works so well with my chemistry- which is a huge deal for finding a fragrance you love. Countless times people have told me how amazing I smell. I use the EDP and parfum and it has never been overpowering- but I only use a tiny bit as it goes a long way. (I believe that if people wear fragrance, the amount of fragrance should be subtle enough that it should only be smelled by others within close parameters- such as when hugging. IMO this is very elegant and sexy. I can't stand it when I smell someone from several feet away.) Opium is very oriental, woodsy and rich. I tend to be attracted to the oriental, spicy scents like this. I received a new bottle of EDP for Christmas and am disappointed in the new version. I didn't even realize there had been a change until I wore it the other day. Thinking I had received a bad batch I went online to see if anyone else had left a review describing a similar experience and that's when I found out that YSL had changed their formulation. The original Opium that I've been using the past several years is almost gone so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Opium is that amazing of a fragrance for me. This new version doesn't seem as classy, rich and pure (it's very difficult to describe the difference but it just seems cheaper or perhaps a tad bit more floral?). Over the years I've checked out other oriental spicy fragrances so that I could wear something else once in a while for a change but have never found anything I like as much as Opium. And, being the sentimental (no pun intended) person that I am, the formula change is even more disappointing for me because after I started wearing Opium I found out that my grandmother had worn it too (she passed away when I was four years old and I apparently inherited many of her traits and tendencies). I will probably still wear the new version as it still is a nice scent.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No