Yves Saint Laurent Opium

3.8

on 7/14/2015 1:19:00 PM

Yes, this used to be different, but not necessary STRONGER, they just took the high-quality
franckincense out, and the deep ethereal myrrhe that gave it that characteristic melancholic
and distant base-note that came fluffing up in little breezes even after you thought it had longlong disappeared, everything else was gone and still you had the softy appearing-disppearing of the marvelous incense-myrrhe that gave it a steady COOLNESS inspite being called an óriental'. The only other fragrance with that sollemn cool incense-basenote was,mind you, INCENSE by Givenchy, legendary, and there was no insence at all in this later
just so many well-composed and regrouped elegant flowers that they made together a
symphony of pure insence and myrrhe.....now is that art or is tthat art?
Back to Opium, he's gone, one of the most original melancholic notes in parfumhistory, only compareable to the blues of L'HEURE BLUE, so amen.
The modern resuscitation, or zombie if yoy like, does stil look a lot like the classic, but is much more brighter and flowerish with no undernotes ( drydown a lot simpler and faster ) more linear and happier ( because we are happier aren't we ).
But I still like it and recognise it as a big part of my Opium, thats the reason i still bought it,
i miss it otherwise. But am i clever in doing so? No, we should strike and sent millions of emails to that multinational, because YSL is not happy ( he was a melancholic so there's reason for those blue original notes that first enhance your blue mood then affirm it and at last vanish the mood out in a O.Wildish sarcasm decadent rage) and so aren''t the Opium-affecionados.They should realise that we don't let ourselves be scammed and lied to and they should honour the true beloveres of the smell for almost 40 years!!! There's no new marketgroup to fill those enormous sellinggaps, it's money and we shouldn't give it,N.B.:it was the second worldwide-selling hit only after n.5 C.!!! ART. Skystone:try L'HEURE BLUE!!

on 12/3/2014 1:19:00 PM

This is a very good perfume. The only thing I dont like is that its weak for me. This review is for the edt. I don't understand people trashing it in other reviews, its very well made, subtle, coherent scent. The spices are very suave and it smells like good expensive incense.
I wish I had the vintage fragrance, but this review is about the new formulation. If it was a lot stronger it would be much nicer.
It's very original, comforting and elegant perfume.
It doesnt hurt that the bottle is beautiful either.

on 11/26/2014 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This smells like a bad Bijan Cologne that my uncle used to wear back in the day (let’s hope that his taste have changed since then). When it comes to the fragrances that I wear, I prefer something light and this is definitely not it. I will not purchase.

on 11/1/2014 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

definitely buy again I want the bigger bottle everyone knows iv got this perfume on when I put it on lasts all day love it love it love it

on 10/27/2014 3:56:00 AM

I love the packaging. While I am not a fan of strng heady perfumes for some reason I like this fragrance. It envelopes you in such a beautiful way. I find yo must have a light touch with this fragrance or it might be overbearing to those around you.

on 10/11/2014 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent is not a sweet, rich contemporary oriental a la Serge Lutens. It opens with a heavy dose of aldehydes, sweet florals—ylang ylang and jasmine—and a touch of citrus. The sweet floral/aldehyde combination, also found in Chanel No. 5, is just enough to add a “perfume-y” touch. Next, myrrh, resins, and spices add warmth that balances the cold opening. I love how earthy patchouli is offset by soapy florals; Opium smells very “70s”, but I think that one or two sprays after a shower could produce an elegant and freshly scrubbed effect. Four or five sprays could be a little bingo hall. Also, men really need to try Opium.

Retro, unisex, perfume-y, elegant

on 10/10/2014 10:29:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is my mums holy grail perfume, it's just like, her scent. I think this perfume is soooo gorgeous and it smells classy. Gorgeous warm scent. I like to use it when I go out :-) the packaging is really nice too! I do like a pretty perfume bottle. I want to purchase black opium, purely because the packaging is so pretty - I'm terrible!! But really, if you like long lasting perfume that will get lots of people saying you smell good you need to invest in this! It's just an absolute timeless classic.

on 6/12/2014 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

love this fragrance, really strong deep and sensual sent that really lasts! find myself coming back to this time and time again. love

on 4/9/2014 3:32:00 PM

Loved the original from the 80's, haven't smelled the newer versions. I will check them out. Even though most of the 80's perfumes were heavy, they remind me of such a good period of my life :)

on 1/25/2014 7:05:00 AM

Funny how something can smell soooo wonderful on someone else and not on you...that would be Opium for me.I have stopped 3 women who are wearing this because it smells so good..finally sprayed some last time at Saks...within one hour a migraine. Too bad too because it is lovely...I'll stick with Dior Addict.

Popular Fragrances