April 16, 2014 | 2037 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - No Chip

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2014 4:28:00 AM More reviews by Lauraasti

I've only had a few chipping instances with this stuff, and it was all reasonable. However, it CRACKS like crazy. I could see so many fine cracks in my nail polish the next day and all I had done was send out a few emails on the computer. It's not noticeable with darker polishes, but lighter ones make it very obvious. My biggest problem with this stuff is how it gets old so fast. I was not even 1/4 through the bottle when it became extremely thick. When I would brush the applicator along the edge of the bottle, little strings that reminded me of spider web strings would come off the brush and leave long wisps hanging off my nails. And it completely wipes out my nail tips--something about it when it gets old and gloopy, it just won't go on in a smooth, even coat and makes nice manicures look lumpy and takes most of the polish off the tips of my nails, despite me waiting HOURS for it to completely dry. I can't count how many manicures I've had to do all over again. When it does go on smooth, air bubbles galore! Doesn't matter how many precautions I take to avoid them, they're there. I don't even get 2 months out of these bottles before I need new ones. It's not expensive, but with the crap quality you get, I wouldn't want to pay even a dollar. Also leaves the edges of my nails jagged from the polish that chunks up there. Absolutely not! Don't waste your time.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2013 4:32:00 PM More reviews by hoverfly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Chipped the next day both times I tried it. Chips were big and small, almost every nail.

First time layers used:
Opi Nail Envy
Sally No chip as 2nd base
Orly fx polish (1 layer)
2 coats Sally No chip as top coat

--chipped next day. Within 4 days, all nails chipped.

Second time:
1 coat Sally No chip (dried for 24 hours)
Fresh coat Sally No chip
2 coats Sally hard as nails Xtreme wear polish
2 coats Sally No chip as top coat

---every nail tip chipped very next day

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2013 9:39:00 AM More reviews by crimson101294

"No chip top coat"
Ok, lets get one thing straight, I used this and the day after my nail colour chipped more than if I hadn't even put a top coat on at all.
The price was ok because I got it half price, but it is a load of rubbish in my opinion. Literally my nail polish chipped so badly when I used this, I just don't understand. Anyway, I hate it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by emxs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I mistakenly bought this after reading the good reviews on this site for Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri Anti-Chip top coat, thinking this was the stuff. I'm really sorry I made that mistake. All the negative reviews are true. After this ruined all my nails in under a day, I did an experiment to see if it really was this top coat that was the problem by painting it over one of my nails and leaving the rest with just the base coat and color. By the time I woke up this morning, all of my other nails still looked great and the color on the one nail I'd used this on already had several large cracks in it. I removed it and redid that one nail before it could get worse. This stuff is total crap. Guess I'll head back to the store sometime soon to buy the top coat I meant to buy.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this stuff is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remove using just a regular strength remover. I have no idea how this product somehow manages to make your nail color crack and peel off in large chunks, yet suddenly becomes extra sturdy when you're actually trying to get rid of it.

Also, while looking through these reviews I noticed that there are many five star reviews from around ten years ago, then as the reviews become more and more recent the rating really starts to taper off. I'm guessing that the company must have done something to the formula, like started using cheaper ingredients or something.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by famouscigarillo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I usually always have a problem with my nail polish chipping after a day or two, so I bought this top coat because it was specifically called "No Chip". Much to my surprise, it actually made my nails chip even MORE than before.

All in all, this is a really bad top coat.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/1/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by CarrieNations

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Absolute worst ever. Started chipping almost instantly. Worse than not using any base/top coat at all.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2013 5:17:00 PM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Sadly, I didn't check MUA before buying this. This product is super thick. Be sure to apply a thin coat of this or you will ruin your manicure. Sorry I bought this, but that's what you get when you don't check in with MUA..

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by kabshop

Super shiny and nice for a few hours, then makes a great polish job crack! Disappointing.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2013 3:00:00 PM More reviews by mjhassell

This product makes your nails look beautiful for about a day and then you see horrible chipping on multiple nails. Even when applied with a base coat, its almost like the product is too thick, so any impact on the nail causes severe chipping. The only plus to this top coat is that it makes your nails super shiny and glossy which is good for about 15 hours. Extremely disappointed in this product as I have bought sally hansen products for years.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/26/2013 8:01:00 PM More reviews by gdeezy

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This stuff is horrible. Put it on at dinner time and by lunch the next day 3 nails had horrible chipping. Tried it again and had even worse results. No redeeming features at all.