August 22, 2014 | 1952 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - No Chip

rated 1 of 5 on 8/11/2014 2:30:00 AM More reviews by Twisty18

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this. I mean, Pinterest told me I would. All I had to do was sandwich it with my nail color of choice and Sally Hansen Hard As Wraps Powerful Acrylic Gel. Tried the whole Pinterest tip and the finished product was great. The problems occurred after the top coat had time to completely and truly dry. Like others mentioned the top coat starts to shatter and chips, giving your nails that "days old" nails look. NOT pretty. I even tried the top coat by itself on multiple nail colors with identical outcomes. Hard As Wraps Powerful Acrylic Gel works better on its own. Don't waste your money...look elsewhere, and when you find a good top coat do share with me. :D

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2014 6:39:00 AM More reviews by Aritzia

I read the reviews before I actually tried it and immediately regretted buying it but gave it a try anyway. It was not thick and did not take long to dry like other reviewers have said. When I touch my nails they feel nice and hard and look shiny. So far I like it. update: reviews are right, tested this out
for a while and it does in fact look shattered and starts to flake off.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2014 6:28:00 PM More reviews by dtrautz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I read the reviews AFTER I bought the top coat but I was like "maybe they changed the formula, maybe it isn't all that bad". I applied it 2 hours ago by itself no base coat no nail color, it went on smoothly, it's high-shine, I was loving it.. Until about 30 minutes ago.. it started cracking and I got some on my skin and it tightened it so much it almost hurt. I didn't think it could be that bad, being that I usually like Sally Hansen's nail polishes. WRONG. Steer clear of this nail polishes, ladies. It is AWFUL. I bought a top coat from the dollar store that lasts longer than this. Unbelievable, how it's still on the shelves is beyond me.. Maybe they make money from us unsuspecting victims.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2014 3:02:00 AM More reviews by curlylaura

Cracked and shrunk on my nails in less than 24 hours. The only good thing about it is the shine. In the bin it goes.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2014 12:09:00 AM More reviews by yoshiii

Worst topcoat ever. Super thick, didn't dry, made the polish goopy and run. I've purchase $1 topcoat that worked better. Would not use again.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2014 4:28:00 AM More reviews by Lauraasti

I've only had a few chipping instances with this stuff, and it was all reasonable. However, it CRACKS like crazy. I could see so many fine cracks in my nail polish the next day and all I had done was send out a few emails on the computer. It's not noticeable with darker polishes, but lighter ones make it very obvious. My biggest problem with this stuff is how it gets old so fast. I was not even 1/4 through the bottle when it became extremely thick. When I would brush the applicator along the edge of the bottle, little strings that reminded me of spider web strings would come off the brush and leave long wisps hanging off my nails. And it completely wipes out my nail tips--something about it when it gets old and gloopy, it just won't go on in a smooth, even coat and makes nice manicures look lumpy and takes most of the polish off the tips of my nails, despite me waiting HOURS for it to completely dry. I can't count how many manicures I've had to do all over again. When it does go on smooth, air bubbles galore! Doesn't matter how many precautions I take to avoid them, they're there. I don't even get 2 months out of these bottles before I need new ones. It's not expensive, but with the crap quality you get, I wouldn't want to pay even a dollar. Also leaves the edges of my nails jagged from the polish that chunks up there. Absolutely not! Don't waste your time.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2013 4:32:00 PM More reviews by hoverfly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Chipped the next day both times I tried it. Chips were big and small, almost every nail.

First time layers used:
Opi Nail Envy
Sally No chip as 2nd base
Orly fx polish (1 layer)
2 coats Sally No chip as top coat

--chipped next day. Within 4 days, all nails chipped.

Second time:
1 coat Sally No chip (dried for 24 hours)
Fresh coat Sally No chip
2 coats Sally hard as nails Xtreme wear polish
2 coats Sally No chip as top coat

---every nail tip chipped very next day

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2013 9:39:00 AM More reviews by crimson101294

"No chip top coat"
Ok, lets get one thing straight, I used this and the day after my nail colour chipped more than if I hadn't even put a top coat on at all.
The price was ok because I got it half price, but it is a load of rubbish in my opinion. Literally my nail polish chipped so badly when I used this, I just don't understand. Anyway, I hate it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by emxs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I mistakenly bought this after reading the good reviews on this site for Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri Anti-Chip top coat, thinking this was the stuff. I'm really sorry I made that mistake. All the negative reviews are true. After this ruined all my nails in under a day, I did an experiment to see if it really was this top coat that was the problem by painting it over one of my nails and leaving the rest with just the base coat and color. By the time I woke up this morning, all of my other nails still looked great and the color on the one nail I'd used this on already had several large cracks in it. I removed it and redid that one nail before it could get worse. This stuff is total crap. Guess I'll head back to the store sometime soon to buy the top coat I meant to buy.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this stuff is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remove using just a regular strength remover. I have no idea how this product somehow manages to make your nail color crack and peel off in large chunks, yet suddenly becomes extra sturdy when you're actually trying to get rid of it.

Also, while looking through these reviews I noticed that there are many five star reviews from around ten years ago, then as the reviews become more and more recent the rating really starts to taper off. I'm guessing that the company must have done something to the formula, like started using cheaper ingredients or something.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by famouscigarillo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I usually always have a problem with my nail polish chipping after a day or two, so I bought this top coat because it was specifically called "No Chip". Much to my surprise, it actually made my nails chip even MORE than before.

All in all, this is a really bad top coat.