December 22, 2014 | 1825 users online

Foundations - Black Opal - Mineral Brilliance Foundation

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by Kellie11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased the Mineral Brilliance Powder foundation about two months ago. My foundation color is light and I am quite pleased with the coverage and the fact that it doesn't leave my skin ashy, as some other mineral powders do. I'm also a Bare Minerals girl, so from time to time I alternate between the two. The price of Black Opal is great and the quality is acceptable. I will definitely continue supporting Black Opal; I've even suggested it to a few of my friends.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/18/2011 5:29:00 PM More reviews by blaze789

This is the WORSE mineral makeup that I have ever tried. When I applied this powder to my face it was very ashy looking; it looked horrible. I would recommend Black Radiance Mineral Powder over this mineral makeup. I was highly disappointed because typical I love Black Opal makeup, but this just did not work for me. This makeup was a huge waste of my money.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2011 3:12:00 PM More reviews by jemayhew

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was pleased when a company doing makeup for women of colour brought out mineral makeup especially that could be purchased in the UK, so i I orderedfrom pak cosmetics in the shade 'very deep', without liquid foundation it left me looking ashy, unfortunately this did make me break out, I gave it another chance thinking maybe it wasnt the product but it was! at least it didnt break the bank.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2011 7:42:00 PM More reviews by mrsforte

I used this product because I love black opals creme to powder foundation and I wanted to try a mineral foundation. Although the coverage was incredible and surprisingly long lasting, it broke me out after 1 use. I stay away from any and everything that breaks me out because it's a hassle getting my skin back in order so, I won't be using this product again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2010 4:40:00 PM More reviews by AnOmali

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

While I LOATHE Bare Escentuals, I agree with most of the previous reviewers take on this. I am also too light for this (and very golden/warm with strong yellow undertones) and found that this is warmer/more red toned than I would prefer but blends well. I need a shade or two lighter than this with more golden/yellow tones. I am surprised that a line for black women doesn't think about those of us who are lighter or mixed but not light or pink enough to wear the major name brand foundations that only cater to white women (Asians and Latinos don't usually fare so well either).

The coverage is truly buildable, but it takes a LOT of product to get good coverage. I think I will mix a yellow foundation adjuster into this and see how it works for me, but in general, I wouldn't buy this again. Darker ladies with pretty good skin would likely fare well with this, however, so don't write it off because it didn't work for me! ;)

I'm still traumatized that my absolute perfect foundation company (Earthen Glow Minerals) no longer exists and having a hard time finding a suitable replacement and I have tried EVERY mineral foundation there is over the years...:(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2010 1:54:00 PM More reviews by micdeajones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used this product for a couple of days and have a better opinion of it now. I will admit that I've returned to my ID Bare Escentuals and am in love with it. My issue has always been having to mix colors to get the exact match. I use Tan 4.53, Medium Tan, and a small of amount of Tan mixed in. I'm not really sure why I need to mix 3 colors to get the exact match but I do. Anyway, Tan 4.53 is always the one I run out of the fastest. I came across this brand at Walmart, liked the fact there weren't any parabens, and loved the price so I decided to give it a try.

First, the lightest color (Light) is too dark for me (they need to add more color options) so I added the Bare Escentuals in medium to lighten it up and it worked out just fine. I like the fact that I'm able to eliminate one jar of Bare Escentuals and save money.

Second, while it does provide adequate coverage, it's not as good as the Bare Escentuals. Since my skin is pretty ok it's no big deal. But there was a time when my acne scarring was major. This wouldn't have been enough for me.

Third, the texture is nice and smooth and somewhat light, but it doesn't give my skin that velvet, 'glowy' look like the Bare Escentuals. I like the fact that it doesn't make tan skin look ashy like Bare Escentuals can if the color match is off.

Overall I like this foundation. I compare it to BE because that's the only other mineral foundation I've used. For the price, this is good. I wish there were more color options for lighter complexions with golden undertones. I wish the texture were a little smoother and I wish it was better at controlling my oily t-zone (I got oily really fast with this one). I don't get oily with BE but with this one I do. This is a good filler for the Tan 4.53. I love the fact that it doesn't contain parabens.

For the price, the size of the jar, and the ingredients, it's a great deal. It doesn't turn orange and oxidation was minimal. I didn't feel it on my skin and I haven't experienced any of the itching that I've experienced with BE in the past. Actually, I'd say my skin seems more moisturized and soft. It doesn't make my pores disappear so primer in my t-zone is definitely necessary. Overall, it's a winner IMO.

Sorry for the long review but foundation is very serious business lol. It can make or break a look.