April 19, 2014 | 1525 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Walkyrie

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by babysharks

I've been looking for a nice wearable red for the longest time, and I think I've found it. I've tried darks, corals, brights, and have found some nice shades, but Walkyrie works for me. It's long lasting and isn't high maintenance at all.
It's a light brownish coral that is buildable. The formula is matte, but not drying. I usually apply some Chapstick and reapply after a few hours. I own Nars' Train Bleu as well and find it extremely drying! Probably because of the darker color and formula? I haven't had any issues with dry spots or build-up with Walkyrie at all. I'm excited to try the other shades!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by gazelma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love NARS Walkyrie. It is a perfect colour that is great for any occasion and it is very work friendly. It's pinkish brown and it looks nice on my olive coloured skin. It is truly matte and it does not dry my lips out at all. It has excellent staying power as well. Walkyrie is the lip pencil I use whenever and wherever, and it is always in my purse at all times! The only complaint I have is the packaging - I wish they made this in a lipstick because the lip pencil format is not economical at all, I feel like every time I sharpen it I lose precious product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by Twee74

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this yesterday. Firstly I am NOT a lipstick person. It's Vaseline for me. But I cannot be more in love with this lipstick ! I am a bobbi brown honey, no 5, nars sheer glow in Syracuse and a mac nc42 ( although only the concealer ) . The lipstick goes on a beautiful browny pink. Did not dry my lips out at all . It looks matte but feels like a cream, not icky or sticky just nice. And I like how it makes my lips look fuller. I love it and would definitely buy more colours from this range.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2012 1:33:00 AM More reviews by sparklemotion

Gorgeous muted red that I imagine everyone would suit. I wear it over the top of Dolce Vita velvet matte pencil for a more intense look. Love the formulation - only negative is that the cap is not as secure as it could be

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2012 7:06:00 PM More reviews by natasha27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a new job and rushed to buy this overpriced indulgence that I had been eying from afar during my unemployed days. It's a beautiful rose pink and goes well with my brown/gold skin. The texture is well, velvety and it has reasonable staying power. It's understated and could work well for work. Because of the price, though (see rant below), I use it only for fun times.

Your lips have to be in impeccable condition, though. The pencil emphasizes flakiness.

BUT: why is is so darn expensive? Even with a pay cheque, I don't know if I can afford another one. Sharpening also means a good portion of my, ahem, "investment" ends up in the bin.

VERDICT: Beautiful, but very expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2010 6:15:00 PM More reviews by kimf79

I am really liking this velvet matte lip pencil. For one thing you avaid having to use a lipliner and lipstick because it pretty much does the job of both! I like the matte finish! And the color is a very pretty kind of reddish raisin color - has some reddish brown but not too dark or dramatic! if that makes any sense at all. I buy lipsticks sometimes and I just don't seem to make a habit of wearing them but this lip pencil is becoming a favorite!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2010 1:51:00 PM More reviews by Rina7

This review is for NARS Velvette Matte Lip Pencil in Walkyrie. The color is basically a true rose. On my slighly darker lips, it looks sophisticated, understated and natural with a slight berry tone which works with my skin; but not too much pink, a problem I usually have with rose lipsticks. Love the combination of matte finish, creamy texture, sharp lip definition, and staying power. It's not particularly drying, though I apply lip balm as an under- or over-coat. Just wish it came in more colors!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 12:13:00 PM More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been wearing this almost everyday since I bought it,which was almost a month ago.For me that's significant; I have an embarrassing number of lipsticks so I rotate them often.
I thought the velvet matte pencils would be exceptionally drying,but it is not the case.I make certain to exfoliate any dead skin patches first so it applies evenly.Staying power is excellent.Walkyrie is described as a "warm coral red creme" at Sephora.I tend to think it has a bit of a brown undertone as I can wear it without it going fuchsia,as a lot of corals are wont to do on my lips.I think it is a great neutral shade that would flatter most anyone.
This is what Sephora's claims are to the product on the website:
"Combining the convenience of a pencil with the application of a lipstick in a jumbo-sized crayon design, these pigment-rich sticks provide a matte, creamy finish that will not dry the lips. Enriched with emollients, vitamin E, and unique silicones, each gorgeous shade glides on and stays put."
I use UD grindhouse pencil sharpener to sharpen mine, and leave it in the fridge so it doesn't melt with the hot temperatures.It also makes it easier to sharpen that way.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No