August 20, 2014 | 1893 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Walkyrie

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2014 1:12:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my second Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil purchase (well, my third but I don't really use the "regular" pencil I bought years ago) and I'm in love. I don't say this lightly, especially about lipstick or pencils, but I'm glad I finally bought these. These pencils along with Nars' sheer lipsticks have helped me broaden my horizons to a degree. Aside from the cool names, Nars tends to have out of the ordinary lip colors that look scary in the tube but really pretty once applied.

The first Velvet Matte pencil I bought was in the Dolce Vita shade. I bought it because I really like the Dolce Vita lipstick and wanted to layer the pencil with the lipstick. I honestly had no intention of buying another but when I was at Sephroa recently, I swatched Walkyrie on my hand and fell in love with the color. Naturally, the Sephora I swatched this at didn't have any so I drove to another and they didn't have it either. The online site was out too and sellers on eBay are attempting to sell this shade for almost double its retail price (Really eBay sellers?) so I had no choice but to wait. I discovered that a Sephora inside of a JCPenney near my house has been open for months so I rushed over and, lo and behold, they had four of these. Yay for me! I usually don't lust after a lip color like this but the color is just so pretty and flattering.

I'd say Walkyrie is a pinkish brown that reads a little darker than your real lip color if you're tan to olive or have naturally darkish lips. I won't say this is universally flattering but I do think it would work on people with fair skin as well as tan. I think it's one of those lip colors that can be worn at work but would also work well for a date night. It's brown enough to mellow the pink but pink enough so it doesn't look like you're wearing a true matte brown lipstick that was popular in the 1990s. The intensity of the color depends on how much you apply but I found the color payoff to be decent even with one swipe. I'm one of those people who tends to "eat" their lipstick or lip product but even after an hour or so, the color is still apparent. Almost like a nice stain that is pinkish.

I find the formula of this pencil to be decent. As it is matte, it is on the drier side so I use Chapstik or a lip balm before applying. It glides on very smoothly but, like any pencil, if you have dry lips this will accenuate them so exfoliate and moisturize before applying. The price is a bit jarring ($25) but the pencil is sizable and I doubt anyone would run out of this quickly unless they decided to use it to draw on their face! As this is a jumbo pencil, you do need a large sharpener to refresh it but those can be found almost anywhere.

If you're looking for a neutral lip color that is flattering or something a little darker than usual to perk up your makeup, I would recommend Walkyrie. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to makeup and err on the side of caution lest I look like a pair of brightly colored lips comin' at 'cha but this color scratches that itch of something out of the ordinary yet noticeably flattering and pulled together.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2014 12:36:00 PM More reviews by Siimie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely LOVE this lip pencil. I'm a bit of a lipstick junkie, always on the lookout for a new beauty to try out. A girlfriend of mine had this and let me try it... I was hesitant to shell out $25 for it ($10 more than the MAC lipsticks I ususally buy!) but every time I saw my friend wearing it, the shade struck me as so perfect I decided I had to give it a go.

Well, this may be my favorite lip color EVER. It can be applied lightly for a very natural and subdued rosy lip, or a bit more heavily for a darker, deep berry color that looks like MLBB with a power punch of sexy. Not shiny *at all* (may be an issue for those who look for that. My man commented right away that it wasn't shiny and he likes shiny lips -- too bad, I love it) so it flies under the radar. May just look like super pigmented lips, very natural without looking at all nude.

Also, though it is matte, it is NOT drying at all. I've got chronic dry lips and this feels smooth and supple throughout the long wearing period. I could probably go on and on. I'm tempted to buy a backup just in case they discontinue this amazing color, I don't care how much it costs.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 7:55:00 PM More reviews by mwebba1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the perfect my lips but a bit more seductive color for darker berries out there. I am MAC NW45 for reference and this look absolutely amazing. People can tell I have on lipstick but it is classy and subdued. $25 is not cheap but these velvet matte pencils are so worth that. I will continue to purchase these, I kinda want lots of colors. Women of color, please take note. This is as matte as you can get but not drying in the least. Last very well and I love the pencil form for easy on-the-go touch ups. Well done NARS! I have these in Dragon Girl, Train Bleu, Red Square, Damned and Bahama as well. And I will continue to get more.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by babysharks

I've been looking for a nice wearable red for the longest time, and I think I've found it. I've tried darks, corals, brights, and have found some nice shades, but Walkyrie works for me. It's long lasting and isn't high maintenance at all.
It's a light brownish coral that is buildable. The formula is matte, but not drying. I usually apply some Chapstick and reapply after a few hours. I own Nars' Train Bleu as well and find it extremely drying! Probably because of the darker color and formula? I haven't had any issues with dry spots or build-up with Walkyrie at all. I'm excited to try the other shades!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by gazelma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love NARS Walkyrie. It is a perfect colour that is great for any occasion and it is very work friendly. It's pinkish brown and it looks nice on my olive coloured skin. It is truly matte and it does not dry my lips out at all. It has excellent staying power as well. Walkyrie is the lip pencil I use whenever and wherever, and it is always in my purse at all times! The only complaint I have is the packaging - I wish they made this in a lipstick because the lip pencil format is not economical at all, I feel like every time I sharpen it I lose precious product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by Twee74

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this yesterday. Firstly I am NOT a lipstick person. It's Vaseline for me. But I cannot be more in love with this lipstick ! I am a bobbi brown honey, no 5, nars sheer glow in Syracuse and a mac nc42 ( although only the concealer ) . The lipstick goes on a beautiful browny pink. Did not dry my lips out at all . It looks matte but feels like a cream, not icky or sticky just nice. And I like how it makes my lips look fuller. I love it and would definitely buy more colours from this range.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2012 1:33:00 AM More reviews by sparklemotion

Gorgeous muted red that I imagine everyone would suit. I wear it over the top of Dolce Vita velvet matte pencil for a more intense look. Love the formulation - only negative is that the cap is not as secure as it could be

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2012 7:06:00 PM More reviews by natasha27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a new job and rushed to buy this overpriced indulgence that I had been eying from afar during my unemployed days. It's a beautiful rose pink and goes well with my brown/gold skin. The texture is well, velvety and it has reasonable staying power. It's understated and could work well for work. Because of the price, though (see rant below), I use it only for fun times.

Your lips have to be in impeccable condition, though. The pencil emphasizes flakiness.

BUT: why is is so darn expensive? Even with a pay cheque, I don't know if I can afford another one. Sharpening also means a good portion of my, ahem, "investment" ends up in the bin.

VERDICT: Beautiful, but very expensive.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2010 6:15:00 PM More reviews by kimf79

I am really liking this velvet matte lip pencil. For one thing you avaid having to use a lipliner and lipstick because it pretty much does the job of both! I like the matte finish! And the color is a very pretty kind of reddish raisin color - has some reddish brown but not too dark or dramatic! if that makes any sense at all. I buy lipsticks sometimes and I just don't seem to make a habit of wearing them but this lip pencil is becoming a favorite!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2010 1:51:00 PM More reviews by Rina7

This review is for NARS Velvette Matte Lip Pencil in Walkyrie. The color is basically a true rose. On my slighly darker lips, it looks sophisticated, understated and natural with a slight berry tone which works with my skin; but not too much pink, a problem I usually have with rose lipsticks. Love the combination of matte finish, creamy texture, sharp lip definition, and staying power. It's not particularly drying, though I apply lip balm as an under- or over-coat. Just wish it came in more colors!