October 22, 2014 | 1075 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Control Force

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely love love LOVE this hair spray! Definitley my HG hairspray, without a doubt! I was always a fan of the Big & Sexy line of sprays when my hairstylist friend told me about Aveda's Control Force and I thought, okay, isn't Aveda all hype and doesn't actually perform well? I had never truely liked the Aveda brand but her hair always looked phenominal so I thought, what the heck?
Upon first spray, this stuff can get sticky & hard REAL fast. Best to apply it about 10 inches from your hair and don't stay in one spot for too long! The one thing that I absolutely love about this product is that even after spraying it like crazy, I can still brush through my hair, have the hair keep its style, have NO white flakes, AND keep it's hold! It's amazing. I once ran out of my Control Force while on vacation with no Aveda in sight and had to buy a Big & Sexy spray. Man, what a difference it made! My hair's curls fell within minutes and my hair got super frizzy very fast. Made me realize what a gem Control Force truly is! Humidity control, flexible but strong hold, nice smell (doesn't phase me one bit, in fact I like it), and lasts a long time since you're not using half the bottle. Well worth the investment in my book! Give it a go, curly hair, straight, or wavy. It will change your hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2013 4:51:00 AM More reviews by dpetals

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Negatives
- there is way too much liquid in the spray which ends up on your hair, unless this is the so called "wet look".
- pricey
- surprisingly, not a good smell for an aveda product

Positives
- strong hold (which is important for some people)
- makes the hair look thicker

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by 1Bruce1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Good performance, but can't get past the strong smell. And I have never before met an Aveda product that I didn't adore the scent of. That's probably at least half the reason I buy them, seriously. It's not that the scent of this itself is necessarily bad, but it is so strong and lasts allll day. Headache-inducer for me, and I worry that it will offend fragrance-sensitive people around me because it's so overpowering.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2012 8:39:00 PM More reviews by lestrange

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

As far as functionality goes - it does exactly what a hairspray is supposed to do. It held my style in place for a good portion of the day. It really was weightless and did not make my hair feel weird or crunchy. UV protection is a nice bonus. However as far as the scent, one of the worst hair sprays I've had. It was very unpleasant to me- it smelled like a milder version of the Orlando Pita hairspray. I can't quite define the scent, but reminds me of Old Bay seasoning for some reason. If it wasn't for the scent, I would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2012 12:26:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsCatEyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Good versatile hairspray. Actually more of a medium hold than firm. Great for finishing blowouts.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2012 4:53:00 PM More reviews by pillager13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Wish MUA had a "maybe" repurchase option because that's how I feel about Control Force. I've been buying Aveda products for over a decade, although I would not call anything I've ever used HG material and, of course, all Aveda products are very expensive. Control Force is expensive, but if you want a firm hold it's pretty good. The smell, unlike most other Aveda products, is horrible (industrial smelling--make sure your room is well ventilated before using it), but it held my hair in hot, humid weather even though I reapplied it many times. Would probably repurchase, but only because I always get sucked into buying Aveda products.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2012 10:06:00 AM More reviews by Moneyinthebanx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this after having an updo done for my cousin's wedding. Little did I know, I wouldn't need it because the stylist already sprayed the **** out of my hair. I took the bobby pins out and my hair stayed! perhaps overkill......

ANYWAYS. I think it is expensive but I like Aveda products so I will spend the money for them. Packaging is good but you have to make sure the aerosol doesn't get clogged.

Now to the hairspray itself, this stuff HOLDS- it does make your hair sticky if you touch it but once it dries it will hold you FOREVVVERRRR. Great stuff for summer humidity. I find myself using this with both straight and curly looks to get some hold in this weather.

If you aren't looking for SUPER SUPER HOLD, don't buy this product.

I will rebuy if I ever run out but who knows when that will be.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2012 11:39:00 AM More reviews by peanut32

I REALLY like this hair spray....I use Air Control for lighter control days and the Control Force for when I am putting my hair up. If you have shorter hair that you need to get up in a pony THIS is your go-to hairspray! It will hold everything up and not fall! Also I like that it doesn't have as toxic ingredients as others, and a pleasant scent, actually mostly smells mostly unscented vs drugstore perfumey hair spray smells.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by IllTakeIt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have wavy hair that is already frizzy and dry , this made it terribly crunchy and even drier! This might not be a good idea for ppl with curly/wavy hair!

Did hold well though, but was dry and hard to brush out.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2011 9:21:00 AM More reviews by Bulbasaur

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Let me start my review by telling you how I would normally (pre-Control Force) curl my straigher-than-straight hair. I would apply heat protection with a curl awakener , blow dry my hair with a round brush, curl in small locks using a straight iron, add tons of extra holding power hairspray (drugstore brands) at once, three to four times in a row. I would then go out, even though my hair was really sticky, move a little, and two to three hours afterwards, my hair would be wavy and my curls almost gone.
I decided to give this hairspray a go based on the reviews I had read here and on their website. It seemed expensive (31$CAD) but I was tired of my old formula and willing to give it a try. When I went into the store, the SA quickly commented on my purchase and asked if I wanted to see a demonstration of its holding power.
He curled my hair using a straight iron and as soon as it was done, asked me to flip my hair down. He started putting hairspray like two feet away from me. In layers. After, he asked me to flip my hair back up, move it a little with my hands, and then proceeded to add layers of hairspray, still about two feet away from me.
It was already a win situation, because my hair did not feel sticky AT ALL. It didn't feel greasy from product build up like it did from other cheap brands and I couldn't WAIT to test it's holding power.
So amazed by the soft feeling in my curls, I kept touching them the whole night. I knew that this would wear them down, but I couldn't help it. I went to bed tying my hair in a low ponytail, ready to say goodbye to my curls.
The next morning I woke up and still had curls in my hair. Granted, they weren't small bouncy curls, but more long pronounced waves. My hair still looked really good. All in all, this gave me curls/waves for more than 24 hours. Something I had never thought my straight hair would achieve.
I also used this to control the direction my bangs are going in and it's wonderful as well. Even though the wind would sometimes blow some hair strands back into my face, as soon as I pushed them back where I wanted they would return back there and hold.
This is definitely HG status for me and I don't even think I'll ever try another brand of hairspray. It is expensive, but then again, it takes a lot of time to go through an entire bottle of hairspray.