December 21, 2014 | 1554 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Home-made Refresher Spray (Fix + Dupe)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2013 9:53:00 AM More reviews by candy4me63

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Awesome tip! Thanks =)
I used this one and a couple other recipes I found online to make my perfect mix.
Mine involves glycerine but just a little bit (it gets sticky!) and I use aloe juice so that it can sprits nicely in my atomizer.
I, like others, was also thinking about putting down 20 smackers for a make up fix but f that!
I spend enough money on finding the right makeup, I dont think I should pay extra to find makeup that sticks! (is this a setup???!!)
Im still finding my right formula, Ill post when Ive perfected it!
So far, my recipe is as follows;

2 parts aloe juice by volume
2 parts witch hazel cucumber lemon toner
1 part glycerine
drop of lemongrass oil (and I mean 1 drop! too much stings the face, I tried. and I dont have sensitive skin either. If your skin is sensitive, leave this part out I think? lol)

Cheers!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by LMxo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Searched on google for my HG homemade setting spray and its so easy and works wonders! All you need:
- A spray bottle (of course)
- Favorite toner that you use and love
- Distilled water

Mix half toner and half distilled water in bottle and thats all! I used glycerin but it broke me out bad so i replaced it with a toner that i know doesnt break me out and im in LOVE! My makeup looks the exact same as if i were using MAC's fix +. Def try it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by mooshrimp

I have a lot of peach fuzz on my face + dry skin so my makeup always looks powdery, even when I moisturize well, add a primer, and use very good moisturizing foundation (Chanel or Lancome). I thought maybe a spray would help, but the price on the UD or Mac ones seemed ridiculous for basically scented water.

I use glycerin water mixtures for mica powders and thought, maybe that would work. I checked online and sure enough, that IS what people use.

I mixed a spray bottle of 1 part glycerin to 3 parts water and put it in the fridge. It's very refreshing in the morning too, so it's nice for waking up. I SHOULD throw it away more often, but I don't... It's been a month now and no acne yet.

After doing my makeup and powder, I went and sprayed this over my face. It was OK, but not that much of a difference in staying power or appearance. The next day I sprayed a LOT more of it (like 5 spritzes per face section) and waited for it to dry. The powdery look was completely gone! I was so happy. My makeup no longer looks cakey and dry even when I apply it badly. This is an indispensable part of my makeup routine.

I think people prone to cystic acne should not use this though. My boyfriend wouldn't get out of bed and kept trying to make me late for work so I sprayed him in the face with this and a few days later he got zits EVERYWHERE. Maybe just try a test patch if you're acne prone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2012 8:03:00 PM More reviews by nyomya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I have oily skin and I also wanted something last longer so I followed MrsTefee's recipe with aloe vera gel. I have 2 brands at home: Trader Joe's, which is 99% and CVS brand is 100%. So I used CVS brand and also used CVS brand Vitamin E oil. Both are already at home for the past uses for insect bites and sun burn relief. I also have travel sized spray bottles from Dollar Tree (3 for $1). Filtered water is also free at home and so does my time :)

I don't wear MU daily so I don't use this spray daily. That's why I wanted my spray last longer. This spray definitely made my MU last longer (I also used silicone gel as primer) and less powdery look. I have success with Revlon whipped cream and Missha BB cream in the ~100F heat weather. I have some home made MMU with lots of zinc and titanium oxide and this spray made natural look. I must give equal credit to silicone gel as primer... bought from TKB trading ($2.50 for 1 oz + shipping) but Coastal Scents has cheaper $.

I just saw some reviews here at MUA that lavender oil is good to treat burns, cuts and acne and control oil so I am thinking of adding a couple of drops into my spray. I will update later. Smell will definitely be great. I already have lavender oil from Coastal Scents ($2.99 for 2 oz + shipping) and the site did not mentioned whether it is 100% or not but smell is good so I'll try it anyway.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2012 4:45:00 AM More reviews by MrsTefee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I didn't want to use glycerin in my recipe because I wanted something that won't expire! So I switched it out with aloe vera gel instead! This is the best recipe I have made with aloe vera gel and also it doesnt expire although I would suggest changing it out every month or two just for sanitary reasons... however I usually use mine up fast enough anyways!

**Ingredients**
-100% pure aloe vera gel (fragrance/dye free)
- clean fresh water
-2 Vitamin E capsules
-1 travel size spray container

*****Directions*****
First in a travel size spray container add the oil of 2 vitamin E gel capsules (I poke a hole in one end of the capsule with a pin and squeeze out the oil, throw away the empty capsules).
Next, pour up to about 1/4rth of the bottle full of 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel into the spray container. Then fill the rest of the spray container with hot water (NOT boiling hot!) and replace spritzer and cap. Shake the container until all the contents are mixed throughly! You are now finished with your homemade refreshing setting spray.
_________________

This setting spray shouldnt expire (but I do recommend changing it out after every month or so) because aloe vera gel itself doesnt expire and also Vitamin E is a natural preservative. Vitamin E also helps heal acne scarring, restore skin moisture, soften fine lines, combat chronic skin conditions like rosacea and eczema as well as providing natural sun protection. Aloe vera gel is also natural and helps keep skin moisturized and soothe irritated and sensitive skin! PLEASE try this recipe out and let me know what you think of it : D!!

++++++++ TIPS +++++++
-If you want a thicker solution add extra aloe vera gel and less water
-try adding brewed green or black tea instead of plain water, but if you choose to add tea the setting spray will need to be refrigerated and may only last about a week before spoiling

___________
What ingredients I purchased and prices $$
****
"Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel" $3.97 Walmart
"Spring Valley Vitamin E soft gel capsules" (100 count) $4.44 Walmart
"Travel Size Empty Spray Bottle" $1.00 Walmart
"Water" FREE from tap! Unless you prefer to buy bottled water, up to you!

Total: $9.41 to buy all ingredients fresh and new. However they will LAST you a long time.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2011 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Daynnie

Oh My Ladies! Look no further. Creating Fix+ dupe could not been easier! Frankly, I have NEVER purchased the real MAC magic thing. I researched some blogs and videos, looked at the ingredients list and used some creativity.
First I started with pure glycerin + rosewater/lavender essential oil mix (lavender is antibacterial antifungus great for skin - avoid eyes!). Loved it. But I heard that this solution would be more of a Mixing Medium mix and that I'm missing on some goodie extracts that Fix+ has.

THE TRICK??

Go to your health food store/drugstore (I went to Whole Foods - your best choice) and looked at ingredients of natural toners. They have cucumber, chamomile, vitamin C, glycerin, most have NO fragrance and are 99% alcohol free; plus ORGANIC products. Because glycerin is listed farther in the list, I added about 1:8 of pure glycerin in my beautiful sparkly purse-size atomizer (fr sephora) and I could not be happier!!!!!

Burt's Bees has a Tomato toner (which I skipped because of high content of alcohol..I do not want to dry out!) and also sells rosewater+glycerin toner (for those who do not want to mix at home) each for about $10!
I recommend Avalon toners. Mostly organic, affordable ($10-13 at Whole Foods) for a 250ml/8.5fl oz bottle. For my Fix+ dupe I picked up "Avalon Organics - Everyday Renewal nourishing facial toner"
Ingredients: Purified water, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, panthenol, echinacea purpurea extract, camellia sinensis (GREEN TEA) leaf extract, cucumis sativus (CUCUMBER) fruit extract, carica papaya fruit extract, lavandula angustifolia (LAVENDER) flower extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) flower/leaf extract, camellia sinensis (WHITE TEA) leaf extract, arnica montana flower extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, magnesium ascorbylphosphate, melatonin, bioflavonoids, allantoin, glycerin, sodium PCA, citric acid (VIT C), salicylic acid, polysorbate 20, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, benzyl alcohol.
Basically, I'm getting MORE goodies in the bottle and while missing fragrance and caffeine (found in Fix+) in it - both of which are actually not that good for you.

Because some of us can get irritation from various ingredients, making a dupe using natural toners is the easiest and safest way for those who can't handle lot of alcohol/fragrance/additives in cosmetics.
I recommend you checking natural alcohol-free toners out (Avalon has several) and choose which one you think would be best for you. I am thinking of purchasing pure vit E oil at CVS and adding a drop into my potion. Atomizers/spritzers are sold everywhere. I love the little perfume ones - so easy to carry around and spray anytime, small batch makes the whole experience quite bacteria free as well... They are sold in different shapes, sizes, and colors (found anywhere from Bed Bath and Beyond to Sephora).
I actually believe that I am using something that is great for my skin! Plus I feel great justification in creating it myself, organically.. at home.
Try it and let me know how you like it! Also, Whole Foods has a great return policy (think Nordstrom lol), don't be scared to try it out... ;)
=
=
IMPORTANT: beware of adding oils such as lemon/bergamot/grapefruit/orange etc as those are photosensitive and can cause discoloration on your skin if exposed to sunlight. If you do want to add essential oils to your skin routine, make sure you know how to use them (look up dilution charts) and NEVER use on your skin photosensitive oils.
You will be safe with lavender and tea tree but make sure you do your research first :) Google-> aromatherapy.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2010 2:08:00 AM More reviews by leeli86

I too was not willing to give MAC $20 for what is essentially glycerin and water so I tested this out and it's pretty amazing! I have oilier skin so I definitely dilute it a lot more than the 1:3 ratio the recipe gives and I usually add a few drops of tea tree oil instead of the lemon oil. If you don't dilute this you'll end up with this sticky film on your face that might be hydrating for drier skin but is plain nasty on olier skin. Mostly I use this to set my make-up by just spraying it onto my face or spritzing it onto a cosmetic sponge and patting it all over like powder. However, I've also used it as a mixing medium and it seems to work pretty well for that too. Does it help my make-up last longer? Mmmmm...probably not. Does it fix cakiness and make me look glowy and flawless? Absolutely yes!! If you like to use mineral make-up or heavy powders like Studio Fix Powder then I would say you have to at least give this a shot, it just might change your make-up life.
PS. If you're having trouble finding glycerin I got mine in the cake decorating section at Michael's (craft store)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2010 7:16:00 PM More reviews by klaiyr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

UPDATE+++++++++
I had to stop using this ALL TOGETHER b/c it was causing my pores to clog up and turn into giant cystic zits! I was going to try and dilute it with more water.. but after I got like 3 giant zits at once, I think I will stick to MAC and shell out the $20. ;(
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

God I love DIY beauty products for super cheap! I am so glad I found this recipe on MUA! I wear A LOT of foundation everyday. It's tinted SS, liquid foundation + concealer, then mineral MU over that, so as you can imagine my face can look majorly cakey.

I was milling around after I ran out of MAC fix + and could not get myself to spend another $20 on the bottle so I tried this recipe and it works even better than MAC! I swear my face looked perfectly dewy, not too oily, and my MU stayed in place after a crazy amount of hours - like 15 hours or so.

HOWEVER... I think I will have to put more water into my next batch b/c I THINK the glycerin is clogging up my pores and then erupting them into big zits. I have not had more than 1 zit on my face in YEARS and suddenly I have 2 or 3? This spray is the only thing I have changed in my routine, so I think it is causing these nasty zits to pop up.

I must also add that I was mixing the glycerin with my rose water and spraying that on my face right after washing it in the morning before putting on my SS (I was really in love with this stuff). But I have stopped using it and spray very lightly to set my MU.

Overall this is SO worth it to try, but you have to tweek it to adjust your skin and the way it reacts. I will con't to use and NEVER purchase MAC fix+ ever again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2010 5:18:00 PM More reviews by lilaleahg

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Just like the user below me, after seeing Fix+'s reviews....there was no way in hell I was going to shell out a $11.99 price tag!!!

So, being the internet savvy person that I am, I Googled a way to create your own concoction that's even better and cheaper in comparison to MAC's setting spray.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:::
___________________

*Water (I highly recommend purified, bottled, or distilled water)

*Glycerin

*A container such as a spray bottle

*Either a measuring cup or measuring spoons

*Now this isn't really needed, but I found that it helps to use a funnel. If you have one laying around, I suggest you use it.

WHERE TO PURCHASE THESE ITEMS::
___________________________________

*Water such as purified, bottled, or distilled can be bought literally anywhere. You could use regular tap water too but it's better for your skin to use something that has been sanitized.

*To find glycerin, go to your local pharmacy. For some examples try checking out familiar stores such as Rite Aid, Walgreens, doctor office pharmacies, and even CVS. Glycerin should be located within the skin care isle.

*For a measuring cup or measuring spoons, they can be found at any type of grocery store. Literally.

*For a funnel, they can be purchased anywhere a grocery store is located.

*For a spray bottle, Rite Aid and CVS carry cheap plastic spray bottles for 99 cents each. You can also reuse old bottles too. Empty perfume, cologne, Fabreeze, or even Windex bottles are all great. Just be sure you disinfect them before pouring your precious homemade setting spray inside!!

STEPS::
_______

What you'll need to do is take a container. Pour three tablespoons of water into it.

Then add just one tablespoon of glycerin.

Shake the bottle for about a minute.

All done!!!

Now because of how bacteria multiplies within glycerin, it's absolutely important to re-make this homemade setting spray every two weeks or else you'll be putting nothing more than filth on your delicate skin. Also let's not forget, bacteria can cause acne.

So to help remember when to refill your setting spray container, what I normally do is I take a piece of paper and I write the expiration date on it.

Then I apply scotch tape to the paper and place it on the bottle where I'll be able to see it to hold the paper in place.

To help figure out when to create a new batch of setting spray, take the current date then add that by 14. For example, on the day that I'm writing this review, it's currently August second, 2010.

I'll add 14+2.

That means on August 16th, it'll be time to make a new setting spray.

Hope this helps!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2010 9:39:00 AM More reviews by Gizzyxx

**UPDATE: I finally bought MAC Fix + and although it was nice to use and set my make up nicely, it aslo BROKE ME OUT - badly! I am not suprised as many of MACs skin care products and foundations break me out.....but I am so happy to say that my home-made one DOES NOT break me out! So its really cheap and much more friendly to my skin....RESULT! Now my Fix + is up for swaps.....

The Review:
I was interested in using Fix + from MAC, and after reading mixed reviews I didnt want to fork out the 11.50 price tag for the Fix +, before looking into any possible dupes of it.
Now, bear in mind that whilst I have called this a dupe for Fix +, its not really that, as I have never used Fix + except for spraying it on my hand in the store to test....but I got this recipe from a You Tube video, where the girl on there compares it to Fix + and also EnKore has a video with a dupe for Fix + but it uses a lot more ingrediants than the one I am going to show you, however for a closer dupe its probably best to follow EnKore's recipe and video (look on YT)
Now for the one I made you need:

Glycerin
Water (distilled is better than tap!) OR Rose water (I used Rose water)
Cucumber
Lemon Oil (or other oils)

Method:
Basically you mix the water or rose water with the glycerin - its approx 1 part glycerin for every 3 parts water or rose water. The more oily your skin the more water you need, so I have relative oily skin (esp on my T-zone) so I make 1 part glycerin and 4 parts water, but you can play around with the formulations.

Then get the end of a cucumber (or any part of it) - you need like the last 2 inches of the bottom of it or so, and squeeze out as much juice as possible (real MAC Fix + has Cucumber extract in it) with a lemon juicer or other device.
Pour the juice in with the water/glycerin mix.
The cucumber will make the spray a long more calming and refreshing but it will also mean the shelf life of your spray is shorter.
You can increase the shelf life by adding one drop of Lemon oil to the mix...Lemon oil is also meant to be good for controlling oil!)

Pour your mixture into a spray bottle. Job done!

So normally the spray will last 2 weeks MAX but if you add the lemon oil its meant to add a week, making it 3 weeks max, you can maybe keep it in the fridge? I recommend only making a small amount of this everytime and I have put mine in a 30 ml spray bottle so its tiny and handy in my bag.

I have stuck a label with the date I made it on the bottle so I know when to make a new batch. I may make a batch without the cucumber and how it makes a difference.

Now, EnKore adds green tea and lots of other oils (which he says are good for the skin and are in real MAC Fix +) but i have not used them in this spray. I may vary my spray in future and see what works well....will update my review.

Smell: I like the smell, its refeshing due the cucumber and you can still pick up hints of the rose water too, which is subtle and not over powering. The smell doesnt linger, so even if you are not keen then it shouldnt be a deal breaker.

Now on the review itself:

As a setting spray for make-up I think this works rather well. I always have an issue with my blush wearing off part way through the day but this definately increased the length of its life, and made me have a really nice dewy glow BUT without making me look greased up! I spray it on right after I have finished my make-up in the morning.

I also use it as a refresher spray during the day and its been really nice...I have to say as its summer now, I like this, but I probably wont do this nearly as much in the winter when its cold!!

I have used it on my shadow brushes to apply shadows wet and I like the effect (more intense colour etc) BUT it makes it really hard to blend my shadows so its a big drawback for me.

I have also sprayed it in my hair as a refresher spray and its lovely.

Conclusion:
If you want to save yourself some money before splashing out on MAC then maybe give this a try for a fraction the cost? Or if you use Fix + then maybe this out and compare it for yourself.

Im sure its not 100% dupe of Fix + but even if its 50% of the way there, for the money it will save me from buying Fix + I am happy to make myself this instead!

I took a lippy off as the spray is a little bit sticky and the shelf life of this is not great....but i guess both are be expected to a certain extent.

Anyway, i hope you have found this helpful and will give it a try!

Cost of materials:
Glyercin - 65p from Sainsburys (cake making section)
Rose Water - 99p for 500ml from Middle Eastern food shop
Lemon Oil - 4.25 from Holland & Barrett (yes its pricey but a bottle will last FOREVER as you only need a drop everytime)

Link to video on YT: