August 22, 2014 | 1248 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 7:49:00 AM More reviews by MermaidAtlantica

La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo is an anti redness and pore unclogger. It is NOT an exfoliator and it is NOT designed for dry skin. It is designed to even out skin texture and tone, and to, over time, reduce the redness left by acne blemishes.

This is not a spot treatment, there is no salycilic/alpha hydroxy acids in this to treat blemishes. Its just designed to even out the skintone and texture. And also reduce redness.
90% of the people who have given this bad reviews have used it wrong.

It does work, it minimises blemishes and lumps and bumps. It doesn "unclog" pores but with daily washing you will do that yourself anyways. It reduces redness and speeds up the healing process of scars.

If youre using this to "treat acne" or as some kind of spot treatment youre using it wrong.

It smells a bit funny to me after a few weeks of use, like veet or nair? Kind of a bit hair remover creme-y. Not horriffic and it dissipates but a bit alarming.
I have repurchased this and will continue to repurchase as it is great.
I wish it came in a pump bottle, as the squeeze tube is a bit unhygenic.

Im commenting on the EU formula also. Not the US formula (not that I think there is a big difference)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by LauraMichelle1515

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

For about two years now I have suffered with blocked pores/whiteheads on my chin and I have searched high and low to find a product to help me get rid of them, so far I have found the only way to totally do this is to physically unblock them.
I was originally drawn to the product when browsing the shelves in Boots and spotted that this product claimed to 'unclog pores'. I had never used any La Roche Posay products before but thought I would take a chance due to the good reviews I had read.
I have been using this product morning and night on my chin after cleansing for 4 weeks now. When applied I find it burns every so slightly but nothing I can't handle and my skin never looks red. It has made my skin a little dry and I sometimes do get flakey bits throughout the day after applying this but it doesn't bother me too much. I have noticed my skin is a lot clearer in term of breakouts, I used to get at least 1 new spot a day but now it's more like 1 a week! And I do agree that it helps to reduce the appearance of dark marks left over by breakouts (although takes some time).
In regards to clogged pores...it has helped slightly but the difference in using it is not massive. I still get new clogged pores and I believe it's probably due to the amount of makeup I have to wear on my chin to cover breakouts!
The BEST thing about this product is it really is a good base for makeup! Using other spot treatments I have found you cannot apply makeup over the top as it dries and looks cakey, however this product does not do this AT ALL! My makeup apply just as smoothly (if not better) then if I've not put this product on.
I'm going to continue using this product and I may repurchase it (although on the pricey side for 15!) mainly to help reduce breakouts and to keep a spot treatment on which I can apply makeup ontop!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2014 5:57:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I've been using the same tube for almost 2 years, as a spot treatment. I'm still on the fence about this! The texture is nice, it's unscented, and my skin shows absolutely no sign of irritation/redness/peeling from this. On the other hand, I don't know how effective it is at clearing acne. Sometimes it seems to help, but other times it doesn't seem to do much. Because this is so pricey and it's not a sure cure, I wouldn't buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2014 5:30:00 AM More reviews by forthefirstime

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been using this product on my whitehead/bumps and has done it job pretty well after 2 weeks of use. I have this rough skin texture on the nose bridge due to tiny bumps and was irritated by it everytime I touched it. Upon applying this morning and night for a week, they were gone. As my skin is pretty sensitive, I dare not put it on other areas which are prone to redness. I decided to give it a shot with the results I have thus far. It's my fifth day using it on my most sensitive part of my face, and sad to say, I started developing those acne again on that zone. It started developing tiny whiteheads on the 3rd day and erupt into a bigger nodule. (3 to be specific) However, I've tried it on this other acne a week ago and it has significantly reduce the redness, so I decided to stick with it. Whilst using this product, you definitely have a purging process.

It's only been two weeks/five days of using the product and I could say I pretty like this. It's specially formulated for sensitive and acne-prone skin, and the claim is indeed true because I didn't have any adverse effects unlike other products I've tried previously.

I have been using drying lotion (HG) at night for my stubborn acne which has effectively draw my acne to a head. Based on my observations, La Roche Posay Efflaclar Duo (+) works deep in and attacks the acne, instead of drawing it to a head. The new formula claims that it prevents acne marks and I agree to a certain extent. Being someone who is extremely prone to acne marks/inflammation due to my fair skin tone, I do see a slight difference between the intensity of the acne marks compared to my existing ones. It doesn't completely eliminate it but it really does its job in preventing it.

I will continue using it and update here once I get the chance. I'm even thinking of getting a second tube now so I will never run out of it.

P.S Some ppl mentioned that the product is pretty pricey. To be honest, I think the price justifies the amount they provide. Previously I used Clinique spot treatment which is a few pounds cheaper but the content size is only 15ml. If using it as a spot treatment, this is one product that works and cost-effective.

Update 1 (19/08): Using it for at least a month and I really really do love this product. My breakout has stopped. (*cross fingers*) Only once in a while, I have very faint pink marks that looks like mosquito bites but when I do apply it, it goes off within 3-4 days. I highly recommend this product. If you have extremely acne-prone and sensitive skin, I advise you to spot test the product if you don't want a nasty purging period. Thanks to Effaclar Duo, I am now more confident of going makeup free on dress-down days. Hopefully, continual use will completely eliminate the need to use concealer for my blemishes. (:

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by papnarus

(This is about the European formulation) one of the worst products I used, irritated my skin , made my breakout worse and my skin began to flake very badly! Stopped using it after 3 month

rated 3 of 5 on 7/7/2014 5:28:00 AM More reviews by tezbeth

So I got this product 3 days ago after hearing all the hype about it for acne skin and so far, it is doing what it said and is reducing the pimples. After my first use, I noticed I had a lot of new white heads on my chin (11 to be exact) and a lot of the pimples I had already had now had whiteheads on them so I am assuming my skin was purging. The next day, a lot of the whiteheads had disappeared but there were still heaps of bumps and rough skin. Today I woke up and all of the pimples on my chin were really dry and the skin surrounding was really flakey making my make up look terrible. I am assuming this is normal, although I haven't read any reviews from anyone else saying this has happened to them so not sure. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the product at the moment as it seems to be getting rid of the pimples, even though my skin looks terrible at the moment with all the dryness on my chin. I guess only time will tell!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2014 8:41:00 AM More reviews by Dee958

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have skin that's oily in the summer and dry in the winter, but always acne-prone. I didn't start getting acne until I went to college. My hormonal acne was annoying me so one day I purchased this at an Ulta near me. At first, this caused my skin to become extremely red where it was put on my face. After a few days of letting my skin calm down, I saw that, despite causing the redness, the acne was gone. This is a great product, don't be put off at first if it causes redness. Everyones skin is different, what's right for me might not be right for you. But for me, the redness went away and the product does its job.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Madlenka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a review on the European version, not USA, since the formulations are very different. Made my skin burn so beware if you have sensitive skin. Did not use it enough to see if it lives up to its claims because it is quite irritating.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 3:54:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

Excellent product for making your skin smooth and keeping your pimples and imperfections in check. Just love it! No particular dryness or itchiness observed. The texture is somewhat gel-like. No particular smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by bailey1008

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I LOOOOOVE THIS PRODUCT!!! It looks expensive as it is all in French but it's really good value! It has cleared my skin up remarkably and it mattifies my skin so it's not the usual greaseball but more dewy which I love at this time of year(summer). I didn't have awful skin to start off with just some pimples around my face especially on my forehead but they have reduced incredibly in size and have actually stopped appearing at all!! Loooove