July 31, 2014 | 1240 users online

Styling Products - Carol's Daughter - Hair Milk Lite

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Monday1

I have long, fine hair with a naturally mixed texture: flat in some places, curly in others. I was using a curling cream to do coils before bed, but still felt my hair was dry (and staticky in the winter). I also felt the product in my hair, which I didn't like. This stuff was the solution I was looking for! Where I used to need a detangler and curl cream, now I just use this--straight out of the shower as directed. Also, as other reviewers have said, even with very long hair you only need a dab of it. I now moisturize before combing my wet hair, coil it up without any additional product, and sleep on it. The result is super soft, bouncy and moisturized curls, with no feeling of product unless I've used too much. I have way less breakage now too.

As for the scent, it's just fine for me--sweet and subtle. I also find that it goes away once my hair is dry.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/11/2012 9:50:00 AM More reviews by djripley

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very curly frizzy fine hair. I thought I had found my dream product - putting it in soaking wet hair after a shower and wrapping it up in a microfiber towel. no frizz, shiny tight curls I could fluff up.

However, they changed the scent. I may be an outlier here but I really liked the earlier scent which I thought smelled like frosting. Now it smells like my grandma's underwear drawer. It's a sickly floral scent, to me it smells cheap and fake. sigh. I don't want to pay 20 bucks for a smell I dislike, even if the product works pretty well.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2012 2:10:00 AM More reviews by smachiee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I originally tried this after bleaching the bottom 1/3 of my hair to ombre it. I effectively killed my hair at the ends and rid it of all moisture, but I wanted to try something before just cutting it off. I used a masque overnight 2 times a week and that did nothing, as well as deep conditioned and did an oil treatment. Surprisingly, this was the product that worked. It by no means "fixed" my hair, but when I put it in, it drastically reduced the appearance of brittle, split ends the bleach caused. My hair felt smoother and looked much less frizzy. In this less damaged part of my hair, it worked wonders, even though it wasn't bad at all. My hair felt smooth as silk and the definition it gave my curls was unmatched by any product I've ever used. It made my curls look much tighter and more defined while still leaving them very soft and natural. I was very pleased. I have very course hair that never felt soft, bleaching or not, and this definitely helped it feel great. I never applied it to my roots, so it never made my hair feel greasy. There was none of the dreaded "crunch" that some styling products left it my hair. I apply this almost exactly how the bottle suggested- to soaking wet hair after leaving the shower, then drying with a towel. I sometimes add a little to damp hair too, if I don't feel like I have enough. A little goes a long way, also. I picked this up for $20 at Ulta, and I feel like I definitely get my money's worth. I use a little more than a pea-sized drop, and I have a ton of hair. This will last me a while.

I will definitely continue using this for a while. It definitely doesn't repair seriously damaged hair or split ends, nor fixes very dry hair, but it does do a lot appearance wise. For healthy or normal hair, it makes it feel like silk. In terms of smell, which was never a big deal to me, it actually is quite pleasant, and not overwhelming at all, which I like. I don't like hair products fighting with perfume or body lotions. This one was very light and almost faded completely when my hair dried.

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2011 3:37:00 PM More reviews by mulletoftruth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

This stuff is genius. It's the first product from this line I've tried - I scooped up the mini size when I was browsing for curly hair products at Sephora for under $10. I didn't have high hopes but for $9 I figured I'd give it a whirl.

I haven't worn my hair curly for probably 20 years and now that I'm going natural I'm realizing I need to use different products than I was previously. I'm growing my hair out from a pixie cut and it was looking mom-ish and unfinished -- not styled at all. It looked like what it was -- bad grow-out hair. (Or like Nick Arrojo from WNTW had given me his typical soccer mom cut. No thanks.)

I'd been using Fekkai Glossing Cream (which I've used and loved for 10 years) followed by his Luscious Curls Cream, and occasionally finishing it with John Frieda Curl spray. None of those was giving my curls enough definition. My hair looked a mess and the Frieda stuff really dried my hair out.

I totally lucked out and hit it out of the park by picking up the Hair Milk Lite and HerCut Short Curly Bob. I put the Hair Milk in damp or towel-dried freshly washed hair, using a medium sized blob of it, then smearing it on my hands. I flip my head upside down, then run it through all of my hair. When I turn right-side up, my hair falls into perfect, lush, big, defined curls. It works this way even if my hair's almost dry and has settled into a big frizzy mess. Crazy!

I then do the same with the HerCut, which helps to hold the style in place. I've never had my curls look so bouncy and defined, with this kind of volume. Previously the best it looked was curly but a little frizzy and kind of flat on my head, and not at all defined or styled -- and that was after putting a ton of work into it to make it look halfway presentable.

I'm finding that I actually love my hair at this length now that I have the right products to style it. It even looks good the next day, which is saying a lot for a curly hair style.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2011 9:11:00 AM More reviews by lucyricardo85

i had tried the original hair milk about 2 years ago and wasn't not impressed. i went ahead and recently tried the new hair milk lite. still not impressed! i got very little wave definition from this product. was not too thrilled with Marguerite's magic either! ehhhh, no thanks!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2011 12:27:00 PM More reviews by meglouie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

It took me awhile to figure out how to make my hair like this product, but when I did I fell in love. A little goes a long way. I rub a pea sized amount in my hands and just scrunch the ends of my damp hair. When I wake up the next morning I have frizz free springy curls. I'm just not a huuuge fan of the super strong lemon scent, and it makes my dry damaged hair actually greasy if I use it all over. This product will last me a long time, and I would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2011 10:29:00 AM More reviews by az1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I got a free sample of both Milk and
Milk Lite and the Milk Lite was just perfect for my hair. I used the free sample for a month before I decided to buy it. I also had a sample of Miss Jessies Curly Pudding sold at Target and I still found Carols Daughter to be better. I had no idea that MJCP was so much more expensive. My naturally curly hair looks beautiful and I like a little frizz since thats how they show models on the runway with naturally curly hair. A little goes a long way. CD explained to me to separate my hair in 4 sections then apply a dime size amount and don't separate curls until its dry. This product must be used correctly for maximum benefits. Will reprchase!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2010 10:48:00 AM More reviews by eritreanempress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

Carol's Daughter hair products are some of the most overated products I have ever used. I loved Lisa's story after reading about her for years in different magazines and purchasing her autobiography. Her hair looks like it is exactly like mine so I assumed her hair products would work with my hair. I was so wrong. The hair milk is very heavy (even the lite version) and all it does is sit on top of the hair. It doesn't absosrb and it doesn't do a thing for curl definition. I prefer Kinky-Curly products. They are all natural and very resonably priced. I bought into the "natural" hype of her products but no longer. Corn oil and beeswax are some of the cheapest fillers you can buy so I have no clue how she justifies her prices.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2010 4:29:00 PM More reviews by snis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was a disappointment! I have used the original formula of Hair Milk for about 2 years now. but in the summer it seems a little heavier and greasier than I needed, especially since it is very humid. So, I wanted something a little lighter that would still provide enough moisture for my hair and define the curls.

I have been using the Lite formula for 2 weeks now and just do not like it. My hair feels like straw a couple hours after putting it on. Initially, when you put it on, its seems creamer than the original formula because it is thicker but it does have the oils/moisurizers that the orignal has. Luckily I only got the small bottle so it is almost gone. I will be back to the original formula and just use it more sparingly in the summer months.

If you want to try this, get the 2oz size first or better yet, get a sample at Sephora to determine whether you like it or not before investing money in it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2010 12:40:00 PM More reviews by MollieRT

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I purchased this product after watching an airing on QVC. I was amazed at the models hair, and longed for my curls to be as beautiful as their's. Well, this didn't enhance my curls in the least bit- it actually RELAXED my curl !!! The only pro in my opinion is that it made my normally coarse hair feel very soft. I cannot tolerate the smell, it actually gave me a severe headache. I've tried using the Hair Milk alone & with other products but I'm still not impressed. I am however in love with the matching shampoo & conditioner.