April 20, 2014 | 928 users online

Skincare - Face - Tamanu Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 12:35:00 AM More reviews by babydoll80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is amazing! I have tried many carrier oils (avocado, almond, apricot, jojoba, coconut), but this definitely is one of my favorites. I got the life-flo pure organic cold pressed tamanu oil from vitacost.com for about $15. I use a drop of it mixed with coconut oil at nighttime. I have only been using this for a little over a month and have seen a noticeable improvement. My post acne pigmentation have began to fade and my skin looks so much smoother and healthier! The only downside about the products container is there is no dropper lid. A little does go a long way..a drop is all you need. Loveee this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by babieedoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Brand: Divine Essence Tamanu Oil
Cold Press/Unrefined

The scent of this oil is pretty strong and to me it has sort of an earthy-nutty-celery smell. At first I was applying this alone and the scent would give me a headache. Also I found using it like that was almost too rich for my skin and felt as though it was giving my blackheads. I then decided to mix it with a carrier oil like passion fruit or hazelnut oil (both coldpress/unrefined of course). I would mix basicallly 60-70% carrier oil to 30-40% tamanu oil. Using it like this the scent no longer was an issue and I didn't feel like it was clogging my pores. Right before I apply my oil blends I mist my face with a floral hydrosol or with my ACV toner. Doing this helps the oil spread on this skin easily, locks in moisture and therefore helping to moisturize the skin better. So far I like how it helps with some of my dry patches, redness and any kind of inflamtion. Presonaly I like to use passion fruit oil as my base carrier oil. I basically have combination skin: normal to oily tzone and some dry patches. When I use tamanu with my carrier oils I don't feel any shiner/greasy. It wears well under my makeup. I definitely recommend this oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I got a 30 ml bottle from Aura Cacia at Whole Foods for $17. I use it daily and it's been at least a month and I've still got more than 3/4 of the bottle left.

I bought this because I've heard it's good for acne prone skin and for fading post-acne hyperpigmentation. Fading dark spots can be painstakingly slow, but this definitely helps clear up acne. It's weird...it's an oil and is definitely moisturizing my skin, but in the morning any acne spots are dried up and the dead skin flakes right off. Like magic.

Some people have complained about the smell. Maybe we have a different brand, but my bottle smells kind of nutty, a very warm comforting smell that I actually find quite soothing. Sometimes I'll put it on just so I can smell it! I plan on trying other brands once I've finished this bottle so I will update in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by dalma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Tamanu Oil is very moisturizing especially during the winter time. I use it at night before I go to bed after I cleaned my face. I use it also in the morning not to much it can be rich and oil and I let it sit before I apply my makeup (sometimes). This oil is great for any skin type, and gives skin a glow, softness, shine, refreshed look, heals scars, pimples, blemishes and over all makes my skin look fresh. I would recommend this product to anyone!

PROS:
SOFT FACE
HEALS SCARS, PIMPLES
MOISTURIZING

CONS:
SCENT
PRICE
A LITTLE OILY

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by IrisTree

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've had a small but very visible icepick scar on my cheek for a year. It got inflamed easily and never showed any signs of fading. I began to use Tamanu oil about 2 months ago, and after a month the scar was fading fast. Now I can barely see it! I can't think of any other changes in my skin care, diet, climate, anything, other than starting to use Tamanu oil. Just incredible, I never thought it would be so effective in reality.

My pores get clogged all the time, but this oil doesn't do that any more than other oils suitable for my skin. As for the scent, it's pretty strong but not exactly bad, just takes a little getting used to. This oil is so good that I wouldn't mind no matter how repulsive it was!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by mastrogianni

This emerald green oil is a true miracle worker!

I used to work as a freelance aromatherapist, and I specialised in the use of essential oils for use on the skin, so my opinion of this oil comes from a lot of research and experience on many different skin-types.

Tamanu Oil is the perfect all-rounder that is suitable for ALL skin types- acne prone, oily, dry, sensitive and everything in between including those suffering from Rosacea or Dermatitis.

It has excellent antimicrobial properties, it's anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, speeds skin/tissue regeneration (great for those with a dull complexion, acne, scarring et al). It has high levels of various lipids, including some unique ones which really soothe, soften and feed the skin.

A note about all oils- they should be massaged into damp skin for at least one minute. This way you will get no shine AND boost the circulation to your skin!

What I found when I added Tamanu into my oil blend-- I used to have mild acne scarring. The combination of essential oils along with a primarily Rosehip base had almost eliminated the scarring. When Tamanu was added to my blend, the scarring completely faded within weeks and my complexion seemed more even and the skin softer. Many "clients" of mine find that in a couple of weeks, wrinkles seem smoothed out (less deep), in time their wrinkles diminish into fine lines and some disappear. This makes Tamanu a top choice for those wanting to treat mature skin or the eye area. Yes, it doesn't smell like chanel no. 5, nor should it! I personally enjoy the tart smell of this oil, regardless, the smell eliminates within minutes of being on the skin, and this oil can always be blended with essential oils to counteract the smell if you are that much of a princess that you can't deal with it's natural scent!

OILY/ACNE PRONE: From my personal experience, and on others, those with acne or oily skin should consider using tamanu oil as a base oil with a small amount of frankincense, lavender, or any other proven pimple/oil fighting essential oil. Tamanu on it's own does treat acne and balances sebum in the skin, but you can really speed this process up by mixing just one drop of the above oils. This is also a good idea if you find yourself breaking out early on in treatment; this is a detoxification and adjustment of the skin to natural products. It is temporary and can be treated!

If ANYONE has any questions or wants ideas on how to blend oil for their particular skin type, please message me! Aromatherapy was always a hobby on the side so I love giving out advice for free :)

I use Aura Cacia's organic (and sustainably sourced) pure tamanu oil. For your convenience, here is a link to get it at a discounted price from iHerb:
for those of you who have never used iHerb before, I am able to give you a referral code for up to $10 off your first purchase! ($5 for under $40 order, $10 off for over). My code is HNN763, enter that at the checkout and the discount will be applied.

If you have come so far as to start looking into Tamanu Oil, I suggest you just buy this inexpensive, nutritious and soothing oil to try for yourself. 99% of you will be so glad you did :)

Love and Light!

18 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2013 10:34:00 PM More reviews by artsaves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a big believer in natural remedies opposed to chemical so I always try finding new oils to try out on my skin. I don't have acne related problems, just texture issues and a bit of uneven skin tone. I find that Tamanu Oil works great to give myself a healthy glow, soft skin, and it moisturizes incredibly. I use the oil from Aura Cacia which is 100 pure, nothing else added into it. It's about 9 bucks for a small bottle but it has lasted me a good couple of months so I feel it's worth the price. I know once I'm close to running out, I will purchase it again. It's a safe alternative to chemical products and since I have very sensitive skin, I like to play it safe. You have nothing to lose by using natural products! Tamanu Oil is said to have anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and antibiotic properties. Give it a shot!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Kavi123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm kinda in love with tamanu oil. I've been using it for about 3 weeks & it's awesome in blemished skin. Whenever I have a pimple I put some on as a spot treatment & literally it's shrunk or gone by the next morning. Kinda amazing! I've had acne prone skin forever it seems. I used to use harsh chemicals to control it (obagi & retin-a). Those were Great in controlling the acne, but full of chemicals. I started researching all natural products & stumbled upon tamanu. I'm using the "life-FLO" brand - 100% organic & cold-pressed. Love it & it really doesn't smell that bad! It's worth it to keep those breakouts at bay! ;)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by crmelody

Unpleasant scent. It would have been the perfect oil if it were unscented and if my body didn't react to it. It smells very strong of musky, woody prunes, like someone pointed out here. At $8.10 an oz on Garden of Wisdom, it definitely is on the more expensive side of oils as well.

The pros are that it makes skin so soft. It moisturizes so well. It also sinks right in and leaves no greasy feel. This oil is too strongly scented for me to put it on my face.

Pros: softens skin, moisturizes, not greasy
Cons: expensive, strong scent

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by saramason111

Tamanu is an interesting little oil. I consider it highly medicinal as opposed to others oils (jojoba, sweet almond, grapeseed etc.). This oil is unlike any I have come across. It smells strongly of raisins or prunes mixed in with a pungent woodland/musky scent. It is not so strong that the person next to you will smell it, but you will probably smell it on you. I believe the oil is derived from the nut of an Asian plum tree of some sort, which explains the prune like smell.

It's supposed to be used for a wide array of skin maladies including rashes, acne, bug bites, eczema, dandruff, warts, athlete's foot, etc and even scars and wrinkles. I saw a youtube video where a doctor recommended it for undereye circles and fine lines.

In the summer, I get an acne like rash on my chest and back sometimes from the heat and this has effectively diminished it in a few days. Also, I've been using Neutrogena's Tone Repair nightly for some freckles I have across my cheeks along with an acne scar on my forehead. The Tone Repair is highly fragranced and I think it was causing me to break out a bit on my hairline (tiny bumps) and cheeks, so I now mix 1 drop of the Tamanu in my palm with the Tone Repair and then apply. It seems to have solved that problem. In the morning, I mix one drop of Tamanu oil with my sunscreen and love it. At first, I was reticent to mix an OIL with my moisturizer because my skin doesn't need any additional moisture, but the tamanu is like a medicine I feel. Adding a drop to your product is like giving your skin a soothing treatment.

At first, when I applied the oil to my blemishes, I thought it was getting worse because the blemish kind of inflated, then became very hard and raised (freaking me out thinking I was having a reaction), then by the next day, it developed a grainy "head" and fell off when I touched it. Weird and kind of scary, but at least they disappeared. So, anyway, if you're like me and most other oils didn't work for you (I've tried almost all of them for my face -- my skin just doesn't like oils), then you might like tamanu. Buy the cold pressed organic -- it's more concentrated. I got mine at Whole Foods.