November 29, 2014 | 1702 users online

Skincare - Face - Tamanu Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2014 4:51:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

I have been using this for about 3 weeks now. I have the New Roots brand pure Tamanu oil (with vitamin E as a preservative?). Got it at Whole Foods, 1oz dropper bottle for about 14$ cdn. I needed something to help after straying from my routine with new products that gave me a crop of clogs and zits (one of those products was a reformulated spot treatment that now gives me new spots, the other was a mineral sunscreen that left a tonne of clogged pores that are slowly blossoming into little baby pimples. Argh). I am pleasantly surprised by this oil. It's a pretty moss green colour. Quite thick (not as thick as castor oil) and has a scent almost like old celery/vegetable cripser drawer or very burnt maple sugar. It's honestly not as unpleasant as it sounds, and fades very quickly. I have been appliying about 2-3 drops of tamanu, mixed with 2-3 drops of water to my skin after cleansing morning and night and am quite pleased with the results. Massaging it in, as opposed to just applying it is the key for me. My active acne is fading a bit faster than it would if I wasn't using this (I do use an 8% glycolic at night), and while I am noticing some skin peeling at the sites of old spots, I think it's just skin cell turnover happening a bit faster than normal. My skin tone is a little more even, and even a bit glowy. While I don't think this prevents new acne (I got 3-4 new zits for TTOM), it does help heal them quickly and it's very soothing. It's not a moisturizing oil I find, but am able to apply a bit less moisturizer than I usually do over this. And I think it is helping my nighttime glycolic sink in a bit more than it had been, which in turn is finally bringing up all the clogs I was left with last month when I tried a new sunscreen. I'm not sure I will continue to use this as an all over oil once my skin clears up again (I'm about 75% there now), I will definitely continue to use this as a spot treatment or as needed. I may even add a bit of tea tree oil in a separate phial with this, to specifically use as a spot treament. I also found it great for bug bites and the little scars left behind and supposidly this is good for nail fungus (don't have this, so can't say, but good to know). As with any oils, YMMV. I was quite hesitant to try this despite the rave reviews for acne because it's slightly higher in oleic acid than linoleic acid (which is meant to be lacking in acne prone skin), but I'm really glad I tried this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this Tamanu oil particularly for my eczema. I suffer from it on my hands, and at times when the itch gets so bad I can't help myself but scratch it, it gets oozy. This oil dries it right up, takes away the itch and burn and heals the eczema patch. It is a bit of a drying oil, so I do find I need to apply a good moisturiser on top (cocoa butter, shea butter or even just olive oil/coconut oil).
I bought it at an outdoor market here on the West Coast of Vancouver BC, Canada. So I think it's a small independent brand, called Healing Scents. The ingredients are 100% pure organic Tamanu Oil. It comes in a pump bottle, which I love, makes it easy to get the desired amount out with no waste. The color is green/gold or amber and the smell is lovely to me. All natural! No artificial chemicals here :) It is reminisce of curry, like another user said. It made me laugh because my boyfriend actually pointed it out when I started using it. Lucky for me, I love curry :) It also smells slightly nutty/earthy. Personally I find the smell fine, I'm more bothered by artificial fragrance in cheap products by mass cosmetic producers like L'Oreal, Lancome etc.
If I get a pimple I put this on overnight and within a day or two it's gone and healing. I have mild rosacea on my cheeks/nose and have dehydrated skin so I think I would find this too drying for the entire face. Maybe I'll try it though and see what happens if I layer another oil on top like Marula etc.
Overall, I would repurchase this. It's wonderful to find something that heals my eczema without having to resort to steroid/cortisol cream!
I would highly recommend anyone with acne to try this on their face, it works wonderfully.
EDIT - 11/14 - I wanted to add that this product is AMAZING for healing rashes and other skin ailments. I recently had a horrible allergic reaction to Dermalogica Essential Cleanser. It broke out my entire face in a red, bumpy, itchy rash. The Dr said it's Contact Dermatitis and will take 2-4 weeks to clear :( I tried a ton of different stuff to heal it and soothe the rash, but nothing was really working. So a few days ago I remembered my Tamanu Oil and that it apparently is good for rashes, so I gave it a shot. Now, 2 days later, the healing is AMAZING! My rash is subsiding and the redness is gone, the welts are still visible but shrinking every day. I am totally in love with this oil and will never be without it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2014 9:07:00 PM More reviews by Greeenleaf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Tamanu oil is worth every drop since I've been using it since late December 2013. I was worried to start using oil to moisturize my skin but I am so glad I went ahead and bought the product. I use to have greasy, clogged, rough, pimply skin. Furthermore I use to have many dark spot/ discoloration from years old acne scars. Now my skin is so hydrated (therefore less greasy) and even toned. I also notice I have less breakout, and clearer pores. Overall my skin looks much healthier! I use this product 5 minutes after getting out of the shower every other day. I noticed using it every day makes my skin over hydrated, oily and thus breakout.

Tamanu is a natural affordable non drugstore product that smells nutty and a herbal. At first the smell was OK to me, but I love the smell now. My middle eastern friend said it reminded me of her mothers herbs. :) My favorite is the Aura Curia brand, but the NOW foods does the job too.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 2:06:00 AM More reviews by SaraxD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh my lord, I looooove this stuff. I bought it on a whim after a review by @acnesufferers on instagram. I honestly didn't expect this to do ANYTHING for my skin, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have finally, FINALLY found an oil that works with my skin and helps combat acne. I suffer from mild cystic acne, and this is the only thing that I have EVER found, that actually heals them. It's not perfect, I still have breakouts, but it really does help a lot. I just can't say enough about this oil. I love it! And I've already bought 2 of them ;)

(For reference, I got the Aura Cacia tamanu oil from iherb.com)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

This oil is great for many things. It is green, thick and has a nutty smell. It leave a green colour on my skin. It stings my eyes. But it makes my facial skin smooth, hydrated and helps with some scars I have on my chin. I also use it on my body. Great oil!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 12:35:00 AM More reviews by babydoll80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is amazing! I have tried many carrier oils (avocado, almond, apricot, jojoba, coconut), but this definitely is one of my favorites. I got the life-flo pure organic cold pressed tamanu oil from vitacost.com for about $15. I use a drop of it mixed with coconut oil at nighttime. I have only been using this for a little over a month and have seen a noticeable improvement. My post acne pigmentation have began to fade and my skin looks so much smoother and healthier! The only downside about the products container is there is no dropper lid. A little does go a long way..a drop is all you need. Loveee this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by babieedoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Brand: Divine Essence Tamanu Oil
Cold Press/Unrefined

The scent of this oil is pretty strong and to me it has sort of an earthy-nutty-celery smell. At first I was applying this alone and the scent would give me a headache. Also I found using it like that was almost too rich for my skin and felt as though it was giving my blackheads. I then decided to mix it with a carrier oil like passion fruit or hazelnut oil (both coldpress/unrefined of course). I would mix basicallly 60-70% carrier oil to 30-40% tamanu oil. Using it like this the scent no longer was an issue and I didn't feel like it was clogging my pores. Right before I apply my oil blends I mist my face with a floral hydrosol or with my ACV toner. Doing this helps the oil spread on this skin easily, locks in moisture and therefore helping to moisturize the skin better. So far I like how it helps with some of my dry patches, redness and any kind of inflamtion. Presonaly I like to use passion fruit oil as my base carrier oil. I basically have combination skin: normal to oily tzone and some dry patches. When I use tamanu with my carrier oils I don't feel any shiner/greasy. It wears well under my makeup. I definitely recommend this oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I got a 30 ml bottle from Aura Cacia at Whole Foods for $17. I use it daily and it's been at least a month and I've still got more than 3/4 of the bottle left.

I bought this because I've heard it's good for acne prone skin and for fading post-acne hyperpigmentation. Fading dark spots can be painstakingly slow, but this definitely helps clear up acne. It's weird...it's an oil and is definitely moisturizing my skin, but in the morning any acne spots are dried up and the dead skin flakes right off. Like magic.

Some people have complained about the smell. Maybe we have a different brand, but my bottle smells kind of nutty, a very warm comforting smell that I actually find quite soothing. Sometimes I'll put it on just so I can smell it! I plan on trying other brands once I've finished this bottle so I will update in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by dalma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Tamanu Oil is very moisturizing especially during the winter time. I use it at night before I go to bed after I cleaned my face. I use it also in the morning not to much it can be rich and oil and I let it sit before I apply my makeup (sometimes). This oil is great for any skin type, and gives skin a glow, softness, shine, refreshed look, heals scars, pimples, blemishes and over all makes my skin look fresh. I would recommend this product to anyone!

PROS:
SOFT FACE
HEALS SCARS, PIMPLES
MOISTURIZING

CONS:
SCENT
PRICE
A LITTLE OILY

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by IrisTree

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've had a small but very visible icepick scar on my cheek for a year. It got inflamed easily and never showed any signs of fading. I began to use Tamanu oil about 2 months ago, and after a month the scar was fading fast. Now I can barely see it! I can't think of any other changes in my skin care, diet, climate, anything, other than starting to use Tamanu oil. Just incredible, I never thought it would be so effective in reality.

My pores get clogged all the time, but this oil doesn't do that any more than other oils suitable for my skin. As for the scent, it's pretty strong but not exactly bad, just takes a little getting used to. This oil is so good that I wouldn't mind no matter how repulsive it was!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No