October 2, 2014 | 1730 users online

Skincare - Face - Tamanu Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this Tamanu oil particularly for my eczema. I suffer from it on my hands, and at times when the itch gets so bad I can't help myself but scratch it, it gets oozy. This oil dries it right up, takes away the itch and burn and heals the eczema patch. It is a bit of a drying oil, so I do find I need to apply a good moisturiser on top (cocoa butter, shea butter or even just olive oil/coconut oil).
I bought it at an outdoor market here on the West Coast of Vancouver BC, Canada. So I think it's a small independent brand, called Healing Scents. The ingredients are 100% pure organic Tamanu Oil. It comes in a pump bottle, which I love, makes it easy to get the desired amount out with no waste. The color is green/gold or amber and the smell is lovely to me. All natural! No artificial chemicals here :) It is reminisce of curry, like another user said. It made me laugh because my boyfriend actually pointed it out when I started using it. Lucky for me, I love curry :) It also smells slightly nutty/earthy. Personally I find the smell fine, I'm more bothered by artificial fragrance in cheap products by mass cosmetic producers like L'Oreal, Lancome etc.
If I get a pimple I put this on overnight and within a day or two it's gone and healing. I have mild rosacea on my cheeks/nose and have dehydrated skin so I think I would find this too drying for the entire face. Maybe I'll try it though and see what happens if I layer another oil on top like Marula etc.
Overall, I would repurchase this. It's wonderful to find something that heals my eczema without having to resort to steroid/cortisol cream!
I would highly recommend anyone with acne to try this on their face, it works wonderfully.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2014 9:07:00 PM More reviews by Greeenleaf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Tamanu oil is worth every drop since I've been using it since late December 2013. I was worried to start using oil to moisturize my skin but I am so glad I went ahead and bought the product. I use to have greasy, clogged, rough, pimply skin. Furthermore I use to have many dark spot/ discoloration from years old acne scars. Now my skin is so hydrated (therefore less greasy) and even toned. I also notice I have less breakout, and clearer pores. Overall my skin looks much healthier! I use this product 5 minutes after getting out of the shower every other day. I noticed using it every day makes my skin over hydrated, oily and thus breakout.

Tamanu is a natural affordable non drugstore product that smells nutty and a herbal. At first the smell was OK to me, but I love the smell now. My middle eastern friend said it reminded me of her mothers herbs. :) My favorite is the Aura Curia brand, but the NOW foods does the job too.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 2:06:00 AM More reviews by SaraxD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh my lord, I looooove this stuff. I bought it on a whim after a review by @acnesufferers on instagram. I honestly didn't expect this to do ANYTHING for my skin, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have finally, FINALLY found an oil that works with my skin and helps combat acne. I suffer from mild cystic acne, and this is the only thing that I have EVER found, that actually heals them. It's not perfect, I still have breakouts, but it really does help a lot. I just can't say enough about this oil. I love it! And I've already bought 2 of them ;)

(For reference, I got the Aura Cacia tamanu oil from iherb.com)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

This oil is great for many things. It is green, thick and has a nutty smell. It leave a green colour on my skin. It stings my eyes. But it makes my facial skin smooth, hydrated and helps with some scars I have on my chin. I also use it on my body. Great oil!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 12:35:00 AM More reviews by babydoll80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is amazing! I have tried many carrier oils (avocado, almond, apricot, jojoba, coconut), but this definitely is one of my favorites. I got the life-flo pure organic cold pressed tamanu oil from vitacost.com for about $15. I use a drop of it mixed with coconut oil at nighttime. I have only been using this for a little over a month and have seen a noticeable improvement. My post acne pigmentation have began to fade and my skin looks so much smoother and healthier! The only downside about the products container is there is no dropper lid. A little does go a long way..a drop is all you need. Loveee this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by babieedoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Brand: Divine Essence Tamanu Oil
Cold Press/Unrefined

The scent of this oil is pretty strong and to me it has sort of an earthy-nutty-celery smell. At first I was applying this alone and the scent would give me a headache. Also I found using it like that was almost too rich for my skin and felt as though it was giving my blackheads. I then decided to mix it with a carrier oil like passion fruit or hazelnut oil (both coldpress/unrefined of course). I would mix basicallly 60-70% carrier oil to 30-40% tamanu oil. Using it like this the scent no longer was an issue and I didn't feel like it was clogging my pores. Right before I apply my oil blends I mist my face with a floral hydrosol or with my ACV toner. Doing this helps the oil spread on this skin easily, locks in moisture and therefore helping to moisturize the skin better. So far I like how it helps with some of my dry patches, redness and any kind of inflamtion. Presonaly I like to use passion fruit oil as my base carrier oil. I basically have combination skin: normal to oily tzone and some dry patches. When I use tamanu with my carrier oils I don't feel any shiner/greasy. It wears well under my makeup. I definitely recommend this oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I got a 30 ml bottle from Aura Cacia at Whole Foods for $17. I use it daily and it's been at least a month and I've still got more than 3/4 of the bottle left.

I bought this because I've heard it's good for acne prone skin and for fading post-acne hyperpigmentation. Fading dark spots can be painstakingly slow, but this definitely helps clear up acne. It's weird...it's an oil and is definitely moisturizing my skin, but in the morning any acne spots are dried up and the dead skin flakes right off. Like magic.

Some people have complained about the smell. Maybe we have a different brand, but my bottle smells kind of nutty, a very warm comforting smell that I actually find quite soothing. Sometimes I'll put it on just so I can smell it! I plan on trying other brands once I've finished this bottle so I will update in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by dalma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Tamanu Oil is very moisturizing especially during the winter time. I use it at night before I go to bed after I cleaned my face. I use it also in the morning not to much it can be rich and oil and I let it sit before I apply my makeup (sometimes). This oil is great for any skin type, and gives skin a glow, softness, shine, refreshed look, heals scars, pimples, blemishes and over all makes my skin look fresh. I would recommend this product to anyone!

PROS:
SOFT FACE
HEALS SCARS, PIMPLES
MOISTURIZING

CONS:
SCENT
PRICE
A LITTLE OILY

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by IrisTree

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've had a small but very visible icepick scar on my cheek for a year. It got inflamed easily and never showed any signs of fading. I began to use Tamanu oil about 2 months ago, and after a month the scar was fading fast. Now I can barely see it! I can't think of any other changes in my skin care, diet, climate, anything, other than starting to use Tamanu oil. Just incredible, I never thought it would be so effective in reality.

My pores get clogged all the time, but this oil doesn't do that any more than other oils suitable for my skin. As for the scent, it's pretty strong but not exactly bad, just takes a little getting used to. This oil is so good that I wouldn't mind no matter how repulsive it was!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by mastrogianni

This emerald green oil is a true miracle worker!

I used to work as a freelance aromatherapist, and I specialised in the use of essential oils for use on the skin, so my opinion of this oil comes from a lot of research and experience on many different skin-types.

Tamanu Oil is the perfect all-rounder that is suitable for ALL skin types- acne prone, oily, dry, sensitive and everything in between including those suffering from Rosacea or Dermatitis.

It has excellent antimicrobial properties, it's anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, speeds skin/tissue regeneration (great for those with a dull complexion, acne, scarring et al). It has high levels of various lipids, including some unique ones which really soothe, soften and feed the skin.

A note about all oils- they should be massaged into damp skin for at least one minute. This way you will get no shine AND boost the circulation to your skin!

What I found when I added Tamanu into my oil blend-- I used to have mild acne scarring. The combination of essential oils along with a primarily Rosehip base had almost eliminated the scarring. When Tamanu was added to my blend, the scarring completely faded within weeks and my complexion seemed more even and the skin softer. Many "clients" of mine find that in a couple of weeks, wrinkles seem smoothed out (less deep), in time their wrinkles diminish into fine lines and some disappear. This makes Tamanu a top choice for those wanting to treat mature skin or the eye area. Yes, it doesn't smell like chanel no. 5, nor should it! I personally enjoy the tart smell of this oil, regardless, the smell eliminates within minutes of being on the skin, and this oil can always be blended with essential oils to counteract the smell if you are that much of a princess that you can't deal with it's natural scent!

OILY/ACNE PRONE: From my personal experience, and on others, those with acne or oily skin should consider using tamanu oil as a base oil with a small amount of frankincense, lavender, or any other proven pimple/oil fighting essential oil. Tamanu on it's own does treat acne and balances sebum in the skin, but you can really speed this process up by mixing just one drop of the above oils. This is also a good idea if you find yourself breaking out early on in treatment; this is a detoxification and adjustment of the skin to natural products. It is temporary and can be treated!

If ANYONE has any questions or wants ideas on how to blend oil for their particular skin type, please message me! Aromatherapy was always a hobby on the side so I love giving out advice for free :)

I use Aura Cacia's organic (and sustainably sourced) pure tamanu oil. For your convenience, here is a link to get it at a discounted price from iHerb:
for those of you who have never used iHerb before, I am able to give you a referral code for up to $10 off your first purchase! ($5 for under $40 order, $10 off for over). My code is HNN763, enter that at the checkout and the discount will be applied.

If you have come so far as to start looking into Tamanu Oil, I suggest you just buy this inexpensive, nutritious and soothing oil to try for yourself. 99% of you will be so glad you did :)

Love and Light!