November 24, 2014 | 1431 users online

Fragrances - Prestige - Avril Lavigne Forbidden Rose

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2014 9:01:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Chocolate-vanilla-and more of a cedar-type wood rather than a sandalwood. Those are the three notes I get when I spray and they stay with me the duration of Forbidden Rose. Which is rather nice, it's a different scent to reach for in the cooler months when I am feeling in a tougher mood, ready to take on anyone, anything. That's the implication of this perfume.
I love the mix of chocolate and vanilla at the same time without this perfume being too much of a sweet gourmand. Because it's not at all. The wood brings it down to a mature level and adds an interesting thought to what could have been a generic ice cream cone. Forbidden Rose is not sweetness personified, rather, it hints of a masculine scent as time goes on. It is a scent that sits closer to you depending on how you spray.
It's also in the category of another unisex fragrance, wavering on the brink of his and hers, although the bottle is definitely more feminine with its' black rose topper, purple juice inside (my bottle has clear glass) and a barbed wire ring (think Pam Anderson's ink) that comes off the top to wear that's a size 7 1/4. The stem inside is black adding to it's well-thought design.
It's really a surprise scent, one that you would not expect a femme fatale to wear, but if one does, I'd imagine she'd be causing a bit of trouble. It reminds me more of a grunge era or a biker-chick attitude scent without a doubt with its' huge overtones of woods and pepper blended so seamlessly layered over vanilla and chocolate.
I do enjoy its' beginning creaminess. I also like that it segues into a completely different fume. Great for cool, rainy, foggy days wearing moto jackets into the night mist.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2013 7:49:00 AM More reviews by CocoaKisses

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It's an nice scent, quite fresh and slightly fruity; I loved the box it came in and the bottle was gorgeous too. I wouldn't say this was a warm or cosy perfume, though it's very refreshing and has an edge to it. On the down side, I sometimes found the smell a bit too artificial and synthetic for my liking, but it might just be me...overall, I do generally like the perfume and I wear it every now and then but I don't think I'll be buying it again :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2013 5:00:00 PM More reviews by natalielane123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Got this a few days a go on sale... OMG! THAT IS ALL I CAN SAY! Its a very nice fresh, simple scent and its great for all year round. The only thing wrong with this scent is, it doesn't smell anything like rose.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by lauren93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Not so good as Wild rose but smells good too :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2011 9:24:00 PM More reviews by pinkfrost52

Nice scent, but wish it had better staying power. To me, 'Forbidden Rose' also smells like a fruity shampoo. It has dominant notes of apple mixed in a creamy vanilla base. It's quite refreshing, not musky or heavy like I expected. It's funny, the name of the perfume is 'Forbidden Rose', but there appears to be no notes of rose like I expected either. Overall, a good choice if you want something light and pleasant, but I prefer Avril's 'Black Star' over 'Forbidden Rose'.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2011 10:32:00 AM More reviews by slenderstar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's funny that other reviewers thought that this perfume smelled of hair product; that was my first comment when I sprayed this on my wrist yesterday. It gives off a very clean, tailored scent that most people won't think to be perfume. I'm probably going to get myself a small bottle of this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2011 6:31:00 PM More reviews by JenniStarBrite

TOTALLY agree with the reviewer below! Couldn't understand why this smelled nice but 'familiar.' And then I saw this review..FINESSE SHAMPOO! It smells like pleasant hair products....

Nice but not for the price tag...This is very clean and misleading. The bottle is amazing and sexy--should have been something sensual and saucy like Gueirlan Insolence but this is...blah.

Would not purchase. Sample was good enough.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 10:23:00 PM More reviews by jnugget21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This perfume reminds me of Finesse shampoo!!! Do you guys remember that shampoo, most popular in the 80's in the blue bottle? I always loved that smell-clean fruity and fresh!! I got 30mLs with a free 200mL body lotion at SDM for $40, but the free lotion is just a promotional offer. Pretty fragrance:)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2010 6:21:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

You'd be forgiven for thinking that with the name being FORBIDDEN ROSE this would be a floral, containing rose. But no; This is a generic vanilla fragrance, with a hint of sweet fruits.

On first application Forbidden Rose reminds me of the smell of tinned fruit cocktail; It's sweet and artificial. On first wear the only note I could seperate was the apple, but after reading the notes online and wearing it again I got a slight hint of peach, but only because I was looking for it. It does wear nicely in the heat though - The notes are light, so the sweetness isn't sickly.

From the first 10 minutes to the base there isn't really much to say; the vanilla is the strongest note and it overpowers everything else. The only differences are slight; the fragrance's heart contains a mostly-unrecognizable blend of florals, with gives the vanilla a powdery undertone.

The vanilla in the base is noticably richer and creamier than the heart and loses the powdery undertone. I'm not sure if this is due to the chocolate, sandalwood or both, as neither note is strong enough to be seperated from the vanilla.

Scent notes; Red apple, white peach, Bourbon vanilla, lotus, heliotrope, green apple, vanilla, chocolate and creamy sandalwood.

First things first; I was disappointed with the staying power; 3/4 hours for a EDP. The fragrance is also close to the skin, so you need to press your wrist right to your nose after an hour to smell it. The lightness of the EDP does mean that the fragrance isn't sickly or as young as the sweet fruits and vanilla could have otherwise made it. As it is I'd say that the fragrance is ageless and can be confidently worn to work, as well as casual wear. It's too quiet for evening wear though. Forbidden Rose can also be worn all year round. The light fruits and the powderiness make this pleasant in the sun and heat, while the vanilla is warm and comforting in the cold.

I'm underwhemed by this; there's nothing that I actively dislike about Forbidden Rose, but there's nohing new here, not to mention how watered down it seems. Plus; the name and bottle design are really misleading. It's pleasant enough to wear if I was bought a bottle, but it's not nice enough to spend my own money on.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No