Orly Plastix Satin Finish Nail Polish

4.6

I love the plastix collection. so far I have purple pleather and viridian vinyl. I want to try the orange and the red ones. the polishes are very good for layering. I put china glaze dorothy who? over viridian vinyl and it looked gorgeous. I got viridian vinyl at a closeout sale but the quality of it was so good I would have payed regular price for it.

on 10/30/2010 10:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have the purple, orange, and blue. My favorite is the purple- Purple Pleather- by far. Application is great. It dries fast and has the perfect plastic finish. Its so soft! Its such a unique finish!

The bottle is cute and it does look plastic but if you drop it or rub it against something by accident it just makes a terrible noise.

What a terrible name; Purple Pleather. It just sounds bad. Pleather just makes me think of tacky one suits. Not exactly the first thing that I want to come into mind when painting my nails.

Anyway this took 2 coats. Granted at least 1 of the coats were thick. I liked that I knew when the polish dried becuase of the finish, I didnt have to worry about waiting then thinking it was dry when it wasnt. The color was opaque quick! Its such a nice purple- like china glaze grape pop.

The plastic bottle is kind of cool but its hard to photograph.

I would recommend this bottle if you like to experiment with your polishes. I dont actually have any matte polishes but I want some! Now I have three of these satin- plastic like finishes. I love the uniqueness of these, they end up being SO soft! You could always use a top coat but personally I think that it would ruin the beauty of these. Well done Orly! You made an easy applicating polish that stands out in a good way in my polish collection!

on 8/16/2010 3:53:00 PM

I have this one in purple pleather - and I really do like it!

Unlike most other mattes I've tried, this does not dry instantly - but watch out, because it sure LOOKS dry! I had to re-do 3 nails after this discovery.

Definitely need a good ridge filler with this one, or the rubberized base that ORLY makes would probably work well.

Edit: I bought 2 more :) they're still amazing. I just wanted to add, contrary to what another reviewer says, the BOTTLES are NOT made of plastic, they are in fact frosted glass - as usual, treat your NP bottles nicely ladies!

The only color I've tried from the Plastix Collection so far is Retro Red, a faded orangey red that looks more like a coral than a proper red. However, I really like the color and the finish - I feel like matte cremes make my skin look really greasy and shiny, but this does not have that effect and is very pretty. I already have Old School Orange, and I hope to find Purple Pleather and Viridian Vinyl soon.

EDIT: I now have and have worn the entire collection, and I love all of them!

I like the semi-matte finish but you have to work the formula a bit to get the desired finish (a smooth plastic-like surface). It would probably help to apply a ridge-filling base otherwise the surface looks streaky if you have rough nails (like me). I applied it thick (and you have to work quickly) and got a nice finish but it took a long time to dry. It's a bit more trouble than its worth but I got full opacity at 2 thick coats sandwiched with a sticky base and no top coat. I have retro red which is more of a coral color. I think a truer red would have looked better with the Plastix finish. I also have Viridian Vinyl which looks great on my toes. I would return these but I'm keeping them handy for a multi-finish Konadicure (yes, they are Konad-friendly).

UPDATE: so I've updated from a two lippie to four because I have fallen hard for Viridian Vinyl. The color is so beautiful and the formula so smooth - it looks great on my fingers. I put a topcoat on her and she's shiny and smooth but after a day or two she dulls down to that nice "plastic" finish. I think I'm going to have to pick up the purple one now.

Popular Polishes