Ellis Faas L201 (Ellis Red)

4.2

on 1/3/2015 1:50:00 PM

Love At First Sight
Excellent lipstick, juicy but very stable, amazing color ideal for blondes

on 10/22/2014 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this some time back, and can't believe I hadn't reviewed it yet, because it is VERY special.

Yes, Ellis Red is expensive for a lipstick ( I think I paid a total of about $35, including shipping), the click-pen applicator is a royal pain, and the color isn't long-lasting, but for a color like this, I'm willing to put up with just about anything.

Ellis Red is that strangely rare specimen, a deep true red. I'd characterize it as neutral; though it IS a true red, it's "cool" enough to work on NW15 me, but "warm" enough that it doesn't go pink/fuchsia. It's perfect, plain and simple. It *is* a bit unnerving the first time the product appears, because it looks *black.* However, just take a deep breath, apply some clear liner around the periphery of your lips (this stuff can bleed!), swipe the applicator across your lips, and revel in the glorious redness.

I think my Ellis Red is just about gone, and I plan to order another, especially with the holidays coming up. I think I got my first one at dermstore.com.

P.S. A couple of conventional lipsticks that are similar in color to Ellis Red are Rouge Bunny Rouge Raw Silence and Paula Dorf Legend. They're wonderful, but to me Ellis Red is still the ultimate in red.

on 11/26/2013 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It was a bit scary to find out that the color is based on the actual red from blood. I gave it a try anyways and thought I need to learn how to wear red esp over the holidays. It is nice, but not something I cannot live without. The applicator is a bit hard to use the 1st time. Lots of product came out all at once and it wasted quite a bit considering the price point.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

of course 201 is a beautiful product color. the formula isnt drying.
Major downfall (besides the crappy applicator that wastes a ton of product the first time you use it), is that this has absolutely no staying power on me. It rubs of on everything it touches. food, drink. shirt. other lip.

YSL has a better product that is just as glossy, the red looks fab on me (NC42) and it lasts forever.

I returned the Ellis Faas immediately and bought a back up of the YSL with the credit.

on 4/15/2012 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I hate to be the one to bring down the 100% positive rating on this, but I was so disappointed in it after all the rave reviews I've read on blogs and MUA that I felt compelled to share my story!

Pros:
* The color really was pretty - gave me a sort of "Snow White" look (I am very pale).
* The formula wasn't even in my top 10 gloss formulas, but it did feel pleasant on my lips, not drying or sticky at all.

Cons:
* The APPLICATOR. Oh, God, the click-pen applicator. I had heard it took a long time for the product to make its way into the tip so I twisted it 5 clicks at a time, several times a day, for several days (yeah, I was patient) before I finally got some product into the tip. Then I decided, today's the day to use this! So I clicked it about 5 more times... waited 10 minutes... clicked it another 5 times... waited 10 minutes... nothing. Put it down on the counter and watched it as I did the rest of my makeup. About 20 minutes after my last set of clicking, a TON of product started oozing out the tip - it looked like the pen was bleeding onto my countertop. Seriously?? Cleaned that up, wasted a bunch of product that it took days to get into the tip.
* Had a heck of a time getting it to apply evenly. I imagine that was due to both the applicator (the bristles are not flexible at all) and the formula (not all that smooth). It took much more work to get it looking good than I expect from even a red lip gloss.
* The worst part of all: I got to work and was so busy I didn't have time to touch up, and the L201 faded so unevenly on my lips that (unbeknownst to me) I was left with my natural pale pink lipcolor plus random blood-red colored spots. I found this out because a concerned coworker asked me, "What happened to your lips?!" and elaborated that they looked like they were bleeding. Not just raw and sore, but actively bleeding in several places. NOT A GOOD LOOK.

I bought it online and I had brought it with me to work that day, so on my lunch break I headed right over to Sephora, pulled up the order confirmation email with the order # on it as my receipt, and returned that S.O.B. Yuck.

The end!

on 4/7/2012 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Cue another infatuated review of the L201 lipstick by Ellis Faas, I bought the milky lips formula. Incredibly pigmented, incredibly red and dramatic. It is also an incredibly versatile color depending on how much one applies. It is not too bright of a color on me, for reference, I'm currently using the number 6 warm natural powder from Bobbi Brown. Makes me wonder why I've been staying away from red lipsticks, this is so much fun to play with in looks.

My favorite thing so far may be the staying power of this color in combination with the way in which it fades, this lipstick fades very evenly across your lips. For those of us that hate the feel of lipstick on lips, but love pigment, this is totally rocking my world right now. This isn't about to unseat my long-time favorite lipstick by Guerlain, as gardenia is a classy pink, my lips nude but better color, but damn it comes close.

Have read some reviews about the packaging, have only had lipstick for a week. We'll see how it holds up. Some complaints about the click-brush mechanism, but given how little I dab on to go to work, sometimes I just lightly brush on remaining color.

By the way, do NOT trust the Sephora swatches, go look at the Ellis Faas website, the colors seen there are much truer to what I see in real life than the bland little swatches on the Sephora website.

ETA 4/21/2012: I'm torn, I really, really love the color, but I'm seriously disliking the tendency of the click pen to take forever to dispense color if I don't wear the color for a few days. Decided that I need to downgrade my rating for this a little bit, purely due to the inconvenience of the packaging.

on 12/1/2011 4:05:00 PM

[For reference I am of mixed Filipino/English descent, with light olive skin-tone that leans towards warm/yellow. Skin-type is Combination/Sensitive, with redness on my nose & cheeks. Pronounced pores. NC20-25]

Like some other reviewers, I bought this sight-unseen based solely on the rave reviews and colour swatches on the Ellis Faas website. I had previously been swaying between this and Beaute "Masochist", which is supposed to be very similar and also has glowing reviews, but I felt (rightly or wrongly) that "Masochist" was a touch more orange, and I really wanted a deep, blood coloured shade. I was all set to pick up the Creamy Lips 101 formula; however on closer inspection I liked the slightly more vibrant tone of Milky Lips 201 - plus I tend to have very dry lips so wanted to steer away from the more matte finish of 101. The colour is absolutely amazing; a true blood-red hue with no discernible orange or blue. I'm usually a bit afraid of very bold red lip-colour, as I don't have full lips and I worry that it looks odd; I loved this enough to wear out right away! Staying power was wonderful for a creamy formula, and it lasted for several hours through both eating and napping. Even when it eventually faded it left a pretty pink stain on my lips that exactly matched my natural lip colour, so no telltale lipstick "tidemarks" here (one of the problems I most frequently experience with lipsticks). To be honest, I was stunned by just how long this looked as though it had just been applied; every time I checked it out in the mirror it still looked perfect! I have never had a lipstick that looked so fresh for so long!

201 comes with a brush-head for easy application, and does not feather. Unlike some I did find that my lips became somewhat dry as the product wore off, but I guess this is to be expected. I honestly cannot think of any downsides for this product, except for possibly the price - I paid approx. 22.00 for mine. For me this is well worth the splurge as the shade is absolutely perfect for either a subtle blush-stain on the lips (a drop just patted on with a finger), or full-out glamour (applied fully with applicator brush).

I have only ever felt comfortable in two red lipsticks - a now-discontinued Clinique deep berry gloss, and now Ellis Faas 201. Any ladies that have been longing for that true glamourpuss red owe it to themselves to pick this up.

on 6/4/2011 12:31:00 AM

this is among one of the most beautiful red that I have ever seen!! The pigmentation is so strong that it literally looks like a drop of blood on my lip with just one dip...and I found that EF lip products are of high quality, as they do not dry up my lips. The L201 would be flattering on only skin colour. The official website gave a full range of looks on different skin colours including white, yellow and black. Seriously, consider it! It is around 35 USD, among the high end price but really worth it!!!

on 4/15/2011 1:08:00 AM

This review is for Ellis Faas lipstick in L202 which is a rich sultry red. It is not as bright as L201, L202 definetly has more brown in it, but for my skin tone it is perfect. My only qualm about Ellis Faas is that if you overtwist the pen, you get too much product and it ends up going to waste. I will try to be more careful next time, but for the times I get too much product- I proceed to use the lipstick as blush. It blends very well and has great staying powder. I will continue to buy her products for their sleek packaging and multi-use. You need to own at least one and then decide from there if another purchase is necessary. Love this line- even though my wallet doesn't.

on 10/15/2010 3:22:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is the Milky Lips formula. It's a beautiful red, one of the best I've ever used. I have pale, cool-toned skin, and it brightens my skin and eyes yet doesn't look unnatural-- a pretty good trick, if you ask me. It's also very versatile-- I can pat a little on with my finger for a stained, MLBB color, or use the brush to get a precise, full-on red, or anything in between. Absolute genius.

Popular Lipsticks