July 25, 2014 | 1915 users online

Shampoo - Aveeno - Aveeno Nourish + Shine Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2013 3:28:00 PM More reviews by kaycee66

To be clear, the one I have is from Canada, and it is called

AVEENO POSITIVELY NOURISHING - Shine Shampoo.

I received this as part of a promo gift bag and only used it after finishing the other shampoos I have, and am very glad I did. Please read on.

The situation: Having moved from the West Coast where all my life my hair has only known soft water, and where I had shiny, healthy hair, it quickly deteriorated to dull, very dry, damaged hair. I like volume in my hair, so I had always bought volumizing shampoos.

I asked my hairdresser what to do, and she suggested to buy a filter for my showerhead, which I did not do. Instead, I resorted to the internet to look up treatments. I tried coconut oil, olive oil (which I had done in the past and still do occasionally), even applying apple cider vinegar. Nothing helped, and it was always a mess.

After just one shampoo of Aveeno Nourishing Shine, I noticed a huge difference in my hair. It was manageable and not dry. After the second shampoo, my hair was transformed to how it was when I was back home - healthy, shiny, strong.

I can't tell you what was the cause of the dry hair was (I only use a hair dryer, no products), but this was my solution, and I hope it works for you, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2013 3:26:00 AM More reviews by island21goddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using the Aveeno Nourish + Shine shampoo AND conditioner for almost 9 months now (My hair doesn't like the Nourish + Moisture ones though... =\). My hair used to be frizzy and damaged but now feels SO much more smooth and healthy! I barely have to do anything to my hair but blow-dry it and quickly run the straightener through to smooth it a little extra. I used to feel like I couldn't leave the house without sectioning off and meticulously straightening every part of my hair. But now my hair looks shiny and feels so smooth and soft. I also use the Aveeno Nourish + Condition Leave-In Treatment on my damp ends, brush through to disperse and then blow dry smooth. Also, just to be clear I only wash my hair once every 2 days. SOMETIMES 3... If I feel the need, I will sometimes wash my hair twice in the shower (if it has been 3 days) so it really feels clean. I then concentrate the conditioner on my ends, finger comb through to evenly distribute and then let it sit for about 5+ min while I finish shaving, etc. This Aveeno line is my HOLY GRAIL!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2012 6:16:00 PM More reviews by alexshultz

Here's the thing: if your hair is dry/damaged and you are looking for a hydrating/moisturizing shampoo, find something else. The silicone (dimethicone) is listed as the 3rd ingredient (after Water and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate), which is an extremely high concentration. If your hair is dry, this won't help even if your hair appears healthier, and might make your hair condition worse in the long run.

That being said, if your hair IS in good shape, this shampoo is great. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying silicones are 100% bad, because I think if your hair is healthy you can definitely benefit from it. This shampoo makes your hair extremely soft and manageable, and shiny. The smell is mediocre but not strong at all and doesn't linger in the least. The consistency appears thin when dispensing but becomes strangely thick as you work it in. ALOT of lather, as well. The matching conditioner pairs nicely with this.

Just make sure you use a clarifying shampoo every 4th or 5th wash; too much product buildup is bad for anyone's hair.

I will continue to use this, perhaps switching between this and a purely moisturizing shampoo/conditioner to ensure my hair is properly hydrated and healthy. Pretty cheap for the salon quality results you get (even after your 1st wash).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 11:45:00 PM More reviews by christineo3

Absolute best shampoo and conditioner I have ever used. I'm a 17 year old girl with mildly damaged, colour treated hair. This line of Aveeno shampoos has restored my hair and made it soft and manageable. I am only writing this review because I fully trust this and back myself up 100% after using and repurchasing this shampoo for 7 or 8 months straight. I did want to try another shampoo for the main reason I did not want my hair building up a resistance but I returned 2 different brands on separate occasions and went back to Aveeno shampoo. I highly recommend this to anyone. The price is nothing outrageous and I think it is worth a try and you won't regret buying it one bit. Hope I helped!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2012 1:53:00 PM More reviews by Inotion07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this shampoo for about $4 at Walmart. The first time I used it I did notice some shine, but after that my hair was dull again. It does create build up on my hair, and it has a strange smell. Would not repurchase and I do not recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by lipstickgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For me - this stuff is terrific. I guess it just goes to show that different hair types have different needs. I'm 48 and have dry color treated hair (blonde but I color the grey) and this is by far the BEST shampoo I have tried. And I've tried them all, including the most expensive like Kerastasse. After spending money on color, the last thing i want to do is ruin it. But honestly, this shampoo (and now the matching conditioner) are the best combination for my hair. They leave it remarkably soft and clean, and actually shiny. (It's very hard for blonde hair to be shiny because it doesn't reflect light as well as darker hair.) And I can go 2 or even 3 days without washing. It looks amazing after I use the flat iron, too. So if you have dry or greying hair, give this a try. I am almost finished with a bottle and will definitely buy it again. And at $5.99 it is a huge bargain!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by froggrlily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've been using this shampoo as my regular for about as long as it's been out. The smell is neutral to me: not bad, not wonderful, not really even noticeable. I love that it makes my thick, curly hair smooth and shiny enough to reflect light. This product is very moisturizing for a shampoo. I can understand how it might be too heavy for thinner and finer hair types. I do use a clarifying shampoo now and then because I think uninterrupted use of this product would be too much heaviness for my hair. But for day to day, it isn't too expensive and it cleans and moisturizes very nicely.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2012 7:42:00 PM More reviews by PiMehMeh

I've always had problems with hair products and the changing conditions of my hair make it difficult to settle on any product. As a kid I had long, silky and very straight hair—normal hair and shampooing was never a problem until my hair suddenly became coarse, frizzy, and the oil production of my scalp would fluctuate, as with the oil in my hair. I've tried shampoos from Head & Shoulders for when I had dry scalp, Pantene and Garnier that really dried out my hair and have learned to stay away from, and Dove and TRESemmé, which didn't affect my hair as badly as the others but still didn't do much to help my hair as it became frizzier, duller, and harder to manage.

Aveeno was a tiny bit pricier than what I'm normally used to paying for for shampoos, but I love most of their other skin care products so I decided to give their hair care line a try in 2010 and have been repurchasing them ever since, along with the accompanying Nourish+Shine Conditioner. At the time of my first purchase, my hair was very dry, dull, coarse, brittle, and I had dry ends to a point where it was beyond split ends—it was so dry that my hair was changing colors from black to brown at the tips.

After the third day of using both Aveeno Nourish+Shine shampoo and conditioner, my hair finally wore shine for the first time in years, and my hair strands have never been brittle ever since. I used to use hair detanglers, frizz control, and shine serum products all the time that were hit-and-miss with my hair, and now I no longer need to. My hair was very soft and it was a lot straighter, and for once my hair didn't look like a broom on my head!

I love this shampoo to death after so many trials with other shampoos that I'm afraid to try any other brand of shampoo, but this does have its drawbacks. The shine is wonderful, but my hair does get oil build up if I go a day without shampooing. I personally am not fond of the smell too even though it does remind me of the smell of other Aveeno products, which for some reason I don't mind, so maybe the smell of the shampoos is just stronger than their other products. Lastly, the shampoo (or the conditioner, I'm not actually sure) can leave residue on my scalp and in turn causes minor itching, but I find that thorough rinsing gets rid of that problem.

I have been repurchasing since 2010 and am currently on my 4th set of Nourish+Shine shampoo and conditioner. They are the only 2 hair products I now use on a daily basis as opposed to the 6–8 daily hair products, and my hair straightener, which I used to use 3 days a week, I now only use once every few months.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2011 12:44:00 AM More reviews by xoxRoyalxox

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this product. It doesn't lie- it really gives you shine. I could actually see the little flecks of shimmer? in the shampoo. The only problem is that the smell really iritates me. It smells like chemicals. I hate it.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2011 1:11:00 AM More reviews by SkyAlternative

This is probably one of the best shampoos I've used. Makes my hair so soft and smooth. The amount of shine it adds is questionable- I never used the shine cream that is reccommended.