December 20, 2014 | 1693 users online

Sunscreen - Kiehl's - Super Fluid UV Defense Spf 50+

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2014 10:40:00 PM More reviews by sydneysz

Skin type: combination, with oily T-zone and dry mouth area, and sensitive (my face turns red and bumpy from my workout sweat).

Pros:
- leaves no white cast, as it's not a physical sunscreen (note: physical sunscreens reflect UV rays by sitting on the skin; contain Titanium dioxide & zinc dioxide)
- stinging sensation lasts no longer than a minute––pretty good for a chemical sunscreen
- doesn't make my skin MORE oily
- lasts up to 5 hours on a 30 degree Celsius day. Afterwards, chalky texture is gone and that's a sign to reapply
- pretty lightweight once fully absorbed

Cons:
- may not be suitable for very sensitive skin due to the stinging sensation
- chalky texture on skin
- doesn't help with keeping my skin matte

Overall: It offers really good sun protection. I tan easily and go outside often, but I haven't tanned as much as usual after 3 months of summer. The stinging and the chalkiness aren't pleasant, so I am looking for a better chemical sunscreen.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2014 3:27:00 AM More reviews by blinkblink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have acne prone skin and after using it for about 3 weeks this is the culprit to my recent breakouts! I will be searching for another sunscreen and this one will be used for the body...not good for the face. Also, it's a bit oily for my combination skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by seaweed88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm looking for my HG face SPF since most things clog my pores or cause allergic reactions. I got a free sample of this from a Kiehl's store yesterday.

I put it on this morning, after my usual morning routine (wash face, exfoliate, moisturize). It did sting for a minute or two, I'm assuming because it has a high alcohol content, but the stinging went away. I liked that it was really light, however, it is a bit drying.

It's only been about 4 hours since I put it on this morning and I already have a flaky "beard of dryness" on part of my chin. The rest of my face isn't shiny or oily like it usually is, though, so that is nice.

My pores don't seem clogged at all, I'll update if that changes by the end of the day.

Pros:
-light weight
-mattifying (on me)
-doesn't clog pores or cause breakouts (a rare find!)

Cons:
-drying
-somewhat spendy

Overall Verdict: I'm considering supplementing my current SPF moisturizer with this. I'm thinking that I could use this on my nose, forehead, and cheeks, since that is where I get the most clogged pores. And then use my current one (Cetaphil Oil Absorbing SPF 30) on the areas of my face that are prone to dryness.

UPDATE: After a complete day of wear, I got home and my pores were completely clog-free! They are usually filled with junk and look gigantic by the end of the day, so this is pretty impressive.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/21/2014 3:37:00 PM More reviews by ttinnaa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I always use a large amount of sun screen product on my face. This one is easy to spread but leaves an oily finish, dries my skin and hearts my skin a bit...I don't have sensitive skin. I also bought the Lancome bienfait uv spf 50, and I feel these two products are identical...after all they come from the same group.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2014 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Naoto

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Fantastic. Works so well with makeup, I feel its makes makeup look better than if I were wearing a primer. Leaves a soft velvety texture. Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2014 11:44:00 AM More reviews by xtinacab

I've been trying to find everyday spf for a long time now. I've been using this on my face for a few months and I love it! It goes on really smooth and matte and is SO great for wearing under make up. I never feel shiny or oily after wearing this. Yes its a bit pricey but worth it if you only use it on your face. You really don't need that much since it is a watery texture.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 8:12:00 PM More reviews by Dilcia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm 53 yrs. old. I've searched for the perfect sunscreen since I was 18. In 1998 or 99 I found Kiehl's water based sunscreen with spf 25, it was discontinued and replaced with Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50. This product protects, leaves my skin feeling soft and supple; no breakouts. Downside to this product is that it stings my eyes. So, I will continue to search.

I will purchase and test Burnout Clean & Clear. I hope to able to post a review on this product.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by abarton3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I've been using this for two years, and I love this stuff. I've worn it out in Baltimore at races for 8 hours straight, and only (easily) re-applied one time. (I don't think it was entirely necessary, as I wasn't sweating this stuff off, but for good measure). It's so light that it almost escapes my fingers every time I put it on.

In the past I've used La Roche-Posay's fluid sunscreen, which is a physical sunscreen (instead of Kiehl's chemical). I have sensitive skin, and neither of these caused irritation. However, I didn't like LRP because it was so thick it'd make my skin sweat. Odd feeling. I felt a little slimey wearing it.

Beck to Kiehl's: I love this stuff because it's helped calm my breakouts and even out my skin tone (which changes so quickly with the slightest bit of sun). My only gripe is the cost. I forgot this stuff on a trip last month. I went to Target and got the L'Oreal Paris Sublime Sun Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50+, and I think they're just about the same thing. I'm going to use up the Kiehl's, then use up the L'Oreal and see if I notice any major difference. If not, I'll probably switch over to the L'Oreal (though jury's still out if the L'Oreal gives me more shine or not).

Feb. 2014 UPDATE: Yep, I already spend enough money on other skin care products, and the L'Oreal is a perfect dup to the Kiehl's. Save your money so you can feel REALLY good about putting a lot of sunscreen on daily. And be forewarned that both do give a bit of shine, but I have yet to find a liquid sunscreen that doesn't. $8USD vs. $61 is kind of a no-brainer for me.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by editanazaryan

Ultimate best sun protection!!!!! I've been looking for an SPF that won't cause breakouts, this is it!!! Makes my skin feel and look so good while at the same time protecting it! Perfect recipe for SPF!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by Lynn2013

except for the price I absolutely will alwayas use this. It is very thin like the Asain S/s's and it goes very, very well under m/u, and that is a must for me. SPF50 is what i need as I assume I probably am not putting on the nicel size amont we have all been told to. This is $38 for 1.7 fl oz and that is a bit high as I will go through it very fast. But it's the best I'v found. I have combo skin and I;m not thrilled with the oily parts of my face after using this but then the flaky parts, like the chin, love it. All in all it's the best I've found in very diffuclt areana, sunscreens.