April 17, 2014 | 937 users online

Moisturizers - CeraVe - Facial Moisturizing Lotion - AM SPF 30

rated 1 of 5 on 4/16/2014 2:44:00 PM More reviews by HGL

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Very soon after application, it turned my face, neck and decollete beet-red. Never had this happen before. Definitely NOT for sensitive skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2014 9:15:00 PM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this for winter. It is slightly thick for my oily, acne-prone skin, but it's really hard to find a non acnegenic, non irritating sunscreen for the face. I literally have not found one I like as much as this one.

I think the combo of this and the PM at night keeps my skin plump and healthy looking. This is actually thicker and makes me a little oilier than the PM, so I wish it was more matte, but I just can't bring myself to risk breakouts from straying. And it feels sooooo nice on the skin.

I tried the SPF 50 sunscreen too, which I kept for beach or hiking days, but for everyday use this leaves far less of a white cast and is less pasty.

The pump clogs on all the bottles. I've bought 3 or 4. It's not that you got a bad one. Just pump it 30 times or so and it will come out.

This and the other CeraVe products have Ceteareth 20+cetearyl alcohol, fatty acids that show up on lots of comedogenic ingredients lists. But don't be scared. Formulation matters more than individual ingredients. Do you ever hear a dermatologist--a real one, not a cosmetic clinic one--tell you to look up ingredients on CosDNA? I haven't, and I've been to lots of derms.

This does not cause or aggravate acne for me...and almost everything else does (looking at you, Paulas Choice, Neutrogena, Clinique....). It actually feels soothing and reduces redness and inflammation from acne when I do have it.

Last summer, I did notice this May have been too moisturizing under my pressed powder (usually Almay or Clinique Stay Matte). It gave a bit of a droopy whitish look in certain lights, about the same as my old Olay SPF 15 did. But for a sunscreen with no avobenzone, no silicone base, no other potentially aggravating aspects, I'll deal with it.

Has never burned my skin or eyes...benzones usually end up being the culprit for eye stings for me (Olay, Paulas Choice Skin balancing). Some people complain of redness and stinging, which is a known adverse reaction in those individuals allergic to niacinimide. Thank goodness I'm not. If you're sensitive to that ingredient, don't use this :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by LizzyBerry

Great lotion! I use this and the PM one. I do prefer the PM one because it feels more soothing and almost like a gel. This one feels more like sunscreen. I really only use this is I'm going to be outside. I already get SPF from my foundation so if your indoors most of the day I say the PM one would do the job.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2014 1:51:00 AM More reviews by BarefootedALIEN

I enjoyed this moisturizer, but it left my tzone oily. I had to use a mattifying powder, which I normally don't need to use one. Luckily, I already had a sample laying around that worked well. i continued tp use the moisturizef because for once a product did not break me out! It also started to fade my acne marks (or perhaps because I was rarely getting acne, the old marks got a chance to heal). Regardless, I will not repurchase it simply because I want something more oil controlling but would definitely go back to it if nothing else worked.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2014 8:03:00 PM More reviews by indianagirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Love every other CeraVe product, but can't use this. My sensitive skin just can't handle chemical sunscreens and this stings and turns my face redder as the day goes on. Price is good, packaging is great, hence the three stars. Will not repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

One day I used the absolute last squirt of my Clinique City Block SPF25. I didn't have time to run to Ulta that day, but I did have to make a quick stop at the grocery store. I picked up a bottle of this moisturizer with sunscreen because I really like CeraVe Eye Cream and CeraVe's sunscreens. Ingredients-wise, in my mind I mixed up CeraVe Face Sunscreen (which is SPF 50) with this sunscreen "moisturizer", so, being in a hurry, I bought the wrong product. The next day, after I applied this, the texture felt "wrong" to me, so I looked at the ingredients list. This lotion has Homosalate (12%), Octinoxate (7.5%), Octocrylene (2%), and Zinc Oxide (3.5%).

I was a little concerned that some of the sunscreens would irritate my skin (I know for sure I can't use Avobenzone or Oxybenzone), but I've experienced no sunscreen-like skin irritation with this., or any respiratory allergy symptoms. This does irritate the heck out of my eyes, and it's hard to remove.

I know others have commented that this moisturizer is "light" and "absorbs quickly". To me, it's "medium" in texture, and it never absorbs completely. When worn under makeup, it makes my foundation tacky and my whole face stays sticky. It doesn't take long to develop that typical sunscreen "greasiness" where all I can do is wash my face. Powder cakes up and streaks, and everything on my face seems to oxidize.

Worn without foundation or powder, this seems to be a decent sunscreen if my face happens to need moisture. Even oily skin gets "dry" here in the desert so for the most part I can use products I never thought I could put on my face. This has a texture that I would prefer as a "night cream" but for something I have to reapply all day long if I'm out in the sun, the cost and performance of this lotion are decent.

I'll be going back to City Block as soon as I can, because it's the only product I've found that works well under makeup. For just sunscreen when I'm outdoors for a long time I still feel like I get the most, and best protection with sunscreen powders like Colorescience.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by JulieTaboulli

Ladies, beware if you have sensitive skin and redness...

I really wants to like this lotion. I switched after Garnier stopped moisturizing my skin but I still wanted an AM spf. I read decent reviews, and that it has a calming effect for sensitive skin, which was very appealing. I have moderately sensitive skin, with redness around and on my nose being a large problem, so I was looking for any help I could get.

Newsflash, I got no help. It's a fairly decent AM lotion; it absorbs well enough, and doesn't transform my face into an oil slick, so I continued using it for 5-6 months. I noticed no immediate sensitivity or redness reduction, but because it absorbed well, had little scent, and contains spf, I figured it would work anyway and foundation could take care of the rest.

Apparently, then, I didn't notice the havoc it was wreaking on my face in this time. I noticed my redspots becoming more noticeable and sensitive, but attributed it to hot showers and cold weather... until I started using My freebie of Clinique's DDML (basic lotion.. sadly no spf). Two days after I stopped using the Cereve, I was shocked how clear and red-free my face was. I would switch back and forth, and every time I would use Cereve, even with the DDML, I would still have lingering redness for a day or two.

Since then, I've totally stopped using it. Less redness = less makeup, so regardless of it being a decent moisturizer, the sensitivity issue is enough to make me quit. Perhaps the FOUR different types of chemical sunscreens are responsible? I don't know, but I will be searching for a replacement for summer.

Bottom line: Created a sustained redness that wasn't immediate and worsened over time. I can't understand how a product marketed for sensitivity and redness could cause what it is aiming to cure. If you have sensitive or red skin, beware....

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 5:25:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I've just bought this on the back of loving the PM version and needing one bottle (day lotion plus sunscreen) for my weekend travels. I'm currently using a very mild day cream for sensitive skin plus Missha mild safe sun block over it, which dries to an invisible finish. Based on MUA reviews I was expecting the Cerave AM to have a slight sheen or a little oiliness, which it does, but I'm fine with that as I wear powder anyway. It is a little thicker than the PM but my make-up looks good over it. No bumps or adverse reaction and I've used it three times so far. UPDATE: This didn't sit well with some of my primers and foundation so I'm sticking with my Missha.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2014 12:20:00 AM More reviews by emmiebuns

Pros: It moisturizes, contains sunscreen, light, doesn't make your face look oily. It's also very affordable. Cons: I didn't see much of an improvement in my skin after using a whole bottle. Conclusion: I think this lotion is good as a basic moisturizer, but it wasn't anything special to me. I am not likely to purchase this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/1/2014 11:40:00 PM More reviews by geecard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to like it as much as I like the pm formula, but alas no... It breaks me out.