Neutrogena Age Shield Face- SPF 110 waterproof

3.6

Active Ingredient: Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (15%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (10%), Oxybenzone (6%). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Beeswax, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Triethanolamine, Disodium EDTA, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, BHT, Methylisothiazolinone, Diethylhexyl 2,6-Naphthalate, Fragrance, ppd 12.4

on 5/23/2015 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Easy to apply and doesn't leave a white mask.

Acts as a good primer for make up - I have used La Roche Posay and think this is comparable and is suitable if you have oily skin, as it doesn't leave a residue.

Downside is that needs to be re-applied every 2 hours.

on 12/31/2014 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Right now, this is my SPF staple. Apart from the ultra-high sun protection, it is comparably less greasy-looking than others. I have tried La Roche Posay's Anthelios, which is great, as does my other favourites, Neutrogena's Dry Touch and Eucerin's mattifying sun fluid.
Pros:
- Neutrogena Age Shield is good enough to wear under make-up
- Does nor leave a white cast like the others (wll, maybe a little, but this tends to settle after about 10-15 mins)
- Does not cause skin rashes
- Very high sun protection
Cons:
- Make the skin a bit shin (but try a dusting of face powder to neutralise this)
- Stings my eyes (this is why I knocked off one lippie)
- Not available in Europe, so I have to order it online and pay hefty shipping charges

In sum, not perfect but really good compared to others.

I used this sunscreen for four years and loved it. It REALLY works as a sunscreen. However, one day I looked at the Paula's Choice website out of curiousity and saw that it contains some ingredients most countries don't allow in leave-in products, including one that is a known neurotoxin. I switched to a highly-rated physical (rather than chemical) suncreen and found that my skin is clearer now as well.

Wish they would remove the dangerous chemicals in this. If they did I would likely have re-bought it for the rest of my life!

on 4/22/2014 7:06:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I product this product today. Yes, it did cause my eyes to water. I did put on top of my eyebrow area to be fair. However, it also burnt a little when I put this on my cheeks skin for a short while. Then it stopped. I found it too be quite oily. However I put some translucent powder. My skin looked radiant. I did not need primer or foundation. I was impressed. The packaging is convenient. I would use this product due to brown spots and hyperpigmentation. I felt that I had product on my skin unlike other Neutrogena products. I used this on my hands. Also I have been using reface retinol product which may have made my skin more sensitive when using this sunscreen. I will see how this goes within a few months and follow up.

on 3/29/2014 1:54:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This cream is thick and white, it is the only chemical sunscreen that leaves a white cast. It dries down to a thick matte finish that looks horrible under makeup. The only reason that I give this a positive rating is because Neutrogena uses Helioplex technology which effectively stabilizes avobenzone. This sunscreen does a great job at protecting my skin since I use Retin A and I don't want it to be damaged. I only use this on days when I'm not wearing any makeup and when I'm going to be outside for any extended amount of time. Overall I think the price is a bargain since you get 3 ounces of high quality sunscreen.

on 1/25/2014 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I personally use this every day on my face, neck, and chest for normal wear. And my makeup artist uses it on the tops of my cheek bones for photoshoots! It's not greasy, or thick, like what comes to mind when you think of sun block. It dries down very quickly and it's matte, but velvet. And it's sweat resistant, and has never broken me out! Overall I like it and I would recommend it in a heartbeat

on 11/4/2013 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a huge collection of sunscreens, because I have post-acne hyper-pigmentation and need to protect my skin from the sun. I was running out the door, and needed to apply some sunscreen to exposed areas. I just grabbed this off the shelf as I hadn't tried it since buying. Unfortunately, my skin reacted really badly. After three days, I still have an eczema-like rash on my face, and my skin itches and is red-raw. If you have sensitive skin I would NOT recommend this.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE IT. WORKS.

on 6/14/2013 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

110 SPF is kind of silly as it really doesn't mean anything but the overall higher concentrations of SS filters does mean a higher UVA protection and that's what I was going for. I think the PPD of this sunscreen was around 12-13 when I checked on ss simulator. But I forget. That's probably as good as it gets for American drugstore sunscreens.

Anyways..

Pros
P good protection. I have not sunburned while wearing it.
Smells nice. Like chemical, laboratory-y flowers.
Really creamy texture - would be good for dry skin.
Not *too* greasy. I definitely wouldn't call this matte though. Better for dry/normal skin than oily but not tooo terrible for oily skinned poeple.
Doesn't break me out or irritate my skin from what I can tell

Cons
If you use the appropriate 1/4 tsp, the thickness and creaminess of this SS becomes a problem. This stuff is so thick that you need to spend a few minutes working it in. With 1/4 tsp, it leaves a heavy, warm, suffocating feeling on the skin.

Leaves a shiny film to the skin (when you use a full 1/4 tsp). If you have oily skin, give yourself a few hours and you'll look like you're trying to replicate the Exxon Valdez.

Doesn't really adhere to the skin very long. I put this on a few hours ago and I'm touching my face as we speak and IDK where my sunscreen evaporated to. So that means you need to be very sure you reapply every 2 hours.

Overall i give it a 6/10 considering that it's decent protection in a pinch, or when you're on a budget, or can't access european ss.

on 6/4/2013 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

When I put this sunscreen on for the first time I used about a pea sized amount for each part of my face- cheeks, four head and chin and of course spread some down around my nose. Well it made me look like a ghost so I had to wash it all off. Now, I am a dark skinned African American and when I bought it I really didn't think it mattered what skin color you are because it's just sunscreen and I thought it would be like a moisturizer consistency where it just goes on clear. Not the case for me. So what I do now is just apply tiny dots of it and rub it in and even then it still makes my face look slightly white but not as much as the first time. Another problem with applying a smaller amount is that I can't spread it as much because it doesn't spread very much as it is thick, but as I said if I use more it makes my face white. So all in all I do think it's a good product but just not for dark skinned people.