April 20, 2014 | 930 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Age Shield Face- SPF 110 waterproof

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2014 1:54:00 PM More reviews by cboylove

This cream is thick and white, it is the only chemical sunscreen that leaves a white cast. It dries down to a thick matte finish that looks horrible under makeup. The only reason that I give this a positive rating is because Neutrogena uses Helioplex technology which effectively stabilizes avobenzone. This sunscreen does a great job at protecting my skin since I use Retin A and I don't want it to be damaged. I only use this on days when I'm not wearing any makeup and when I'm going to be outside for any extended amount of time. Overall I think the price is a bargain since you get 3 ounces of high quality sunscreen.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 7:18:00 AM More reviews by shanhal

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I personally use this every day on my face, neck, and chest for normal wear. And my makeup artist uses it on the tops of my cheek bones for photoshoots! It's not greasy, or thick, like what comes to mind when you think of sun block. It dries down very quickly and it's matte, but velvet. And it's sweat resistant, and has never broken me out! Overall I like it and I would recommend it in a heartbeat

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by asukadoll

I have a huge collection of sunscreens, because I have post-acne hyper-pigmentation and need to protect my skin from the sun. I was running out the door, and needed to apply some sunscreen to exposed areas. I just grabbed this off the shelf as I hadn't tried it since buying. Unfortunately, my skin reacted really badly. After three days, I still have an eczema-like rash on my face, and my skin itches and is red-raw. If you have sensitive skin I would NOT recommend this.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2013 6:52:00 PM More reviews by Anastasia0902

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE IT. WORKS.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by teatreemint

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

110 SPF is kind of silly as it really doesn't mean anything but the overall higher concentrations of SS filters does mean a higher UVA protection and that's what I was going for. I think the PPD of this sunscreen was around 12-13 when I checked on ss simulator. But I forget. That's probably as good as it gets for American drugstore sunscreens.

Anyways..

Pros
P good protection. I have not sunburned while wearing it.
Smells nice. Like chemical, laboratory-y flowers.
Really creamy texture - would be good for dry skin.
Not *too* greasy. I definitely wouldn't call this matte though. Better for dry/normal skin than oily but not tooo terrible for oily skinned poeple.
Doesn't break me out or irritate my skin from what I can tell

Cons
If you use the appropriate 1/4 tsp, the thickness and creaminess of this SS becomes a problem. This stuff is so thick that you need to spend a few minutes working it in. With 1/4 tsp, it leaves a heavy, warm, suffocating feeling on the skin.

Leaves a shiny film to the skin (when you use a full 1/4 tsp). If you have oily skin, give yourself a few hours and you'll look like you're trying to replicate the Exxon Valdez.

Doesn't really adhere to the skin very long. I put this on a few hours ago and I'm touching my face as we speak and IDK where my sunscreen evaporated to. So that means you need to be very sure you reapply every 2 hours.

Overall i give it a 6/10 considering that it's decent protection in a pinch, or when you're on a budget, or can't access european ss.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2013 4:54:00 PM More reviews by kyaira93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I put this sunscreen on for the first time I used about a pea sized amount for each part of my face- cheeks, four head and chin and of course spread some down around my nose. Well it made me look like a ghost so I had to wash it all off. Now, I am a dark skinned African American and when I bought it I really didn't think it mattered what skin color you are because it's just sunscreen and I thought it would be like a moisturizer consistency where it just goes on clear. Not the case for me. So what I do now is just apply tiny dots of it and rub it in and even then it still makes my face look slightly white but not as much as the first time. Another problem with applying a smaller amount is that I can't spread it as much because it doesn't spread very much as it is thick, but as I said if I use more it makes my face white. So all in all I do think it's a good product but just not for dark skinned people.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by barcodegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

First of all, I just think that marketing a sunscreen as 110 SPF is a little out of hand. I think it makes people think they are getting so much protection that they don't have to be as careful in the sun or they don't have to reapply it often. When using this, it's still important to practice basic sun safety, like don't sit under the sun for 5 hours in summer. Anyway, as for the actual sunscreen, I think it works well. I have very dry skin naturally, and I am on Retin-A, so that makes it even drier. I didn't experience any greasiness or oiliness with this, but it did feel kind of 'silky' and made my skin a little bit shiny. If you have oily skin, I think this would be okay, but there are probably other sunscreens out there that aren't as oily. This sunscreen still has that sunscreen smell, which kind of lingers. This also burns my skin for about five minutes after I apply it, but since starting Retin-A, everything has done that. I'd be careful with this if you have very dry skin, or if you are using any products that may dry out your skin. I've used foundation and concealers over this, and it didn't seem to affect the longevity or anything of those.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am slightly wary of American sunscreens as they tend not to have the same chemical sunscreens as the European ones I mostly use and like (like La Roche Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme in tinted and not tinted version made in France) so I was quite worried about my protection when I went for a trip to Texas this April as I have not been in the 'proper', scorching, hot, fainting inducing Sun for years now (sunny days are not that often in Scotland as you might think).

As I was very interested in US popular beauty brands and Neutrogena's sunscreens are not available in UK but had the best reviews, I went for this product to try and I must say it has not left my beauty counter since I am back from US and I am using it every single day!

I apply quite a hefty amount to my face and top of my hands (on my neck I usually wear a scarf), it sinks in very quickly without a greasy glow and without any white residue. It has a slightly flowery, fresh smell, yet I have not had any irritation when I apply it near my eyes (I do not put the sunscreen on lids though). It seems to moisturise my face a bit and does not tend to get that greasy pseudo glow as Anthelios does.

I have bit had any breakouts while using it, no cystic acne or blocked pores but I make sure I thoroughly take it off at the end of the day with an oil based cleanser (I double cleanse with Origins Clean Energy oil) as it is waterproof.

My skin has not had any new freckles since I've started using it and the ones I have already had did not darken at all, I would have said that they even lighten a bit.

It works well over my Jurlique Herbal Recovery Gel as well as over L'Oreal's vitamin C Luminizer serum and under any makeup I put on top (I use Dior and Chanel foundations in fluid and powder).

If I have a chance to get my hands on it again, I will be very glad to buy it one more time as it is deffinitely one of the most comfortable sunscreens I have came across in my sun-avoiding habits.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by inmyopinion

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am over sixty years old, and get unsolicited compliments about my skin - I'm not saying this to brag, I just enjoy it when it happens. Little do they know that I have struggled with acne all my life, and that in the last few years rosacea and brownish discolorations have been the bane of my existence!

I'm happy to say I've found a regime that works for me, and that I sometimes now my skin is good enough that I have the courage to go make-up free. BUT I NEVER GO OUT WITHOUT PUTTING ON SUNBLOCK. WHY?
Because last summer I made the mistake of not putting sunblock on my lower leg, just under the area where the ankle pants end. To my astonishment, over the course of the summer, I developed huge persistent brown freckles which all blended together in one ugly area of brown discoloration. WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY FACE?

Well, this taught me a lesson- if I don't want my face to look like my lower leg/ankle area, I have to use sunscreen there (and on the back of my hands too!). Yes, even though I have an olive complexion!

So this is where 110 sunscreen comes in (my husband laughs tolerantly at me, because he is very pale and freckle-prone). I love this sunscreen because it really works and has a very nice texture, does not cause acne, and blocks further sun damage.

I now also apply it to my lower leg/ankle area, but that may be locking the barn door after the horse has bolted...

Ladies, learn from my lesson, and don't let preventable sun damage happen to you!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by varmintrifle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite high SPF face sunscreen. It does not leave a white cast (I'm white enough already), and absorbs very well. I have pretty oily skin and this surprisingly doesn't cause excess shine or breakouts. I also find that if I allow 15 minutes between applying this sunscreen and applying my makeup, my face feels smoother, and my makeup applies with few flaws, as if a primer. One reason I do not like this sunscreen is that I have to be very careful applying around my eye area, and when my forehead sweats, it drips into my eyes, which is very irritating.