September 23, 2014 | 2096 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Age Shield Face- SPF 110 waterproof

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by ElementsOfStyle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used this sunscreen for four years and loved it. It REALLY works as a sunscreen. However, one day I looked at the Paula's Choice website out of curiousity and saw that it contains some ingredients most countries don't allow in leave-in products, including one that is a known neurotoxin. I switched to a highly-rated physical (rather than chemical) suncreen and found that my skin is clearer now as well.

Wish they would remove the dangerous chemicals in this. If they did I would likely have re-bought it for the rest of my life!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2014 7:06:00 PM More reviews by Amariah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I product this product today. Yes, it did cause my eyes to water. I did put on top of my eyebrow area to be fair. However, it also burnt a little when I put this on my cheeks skin for a short while. Then it stopped. I found it too be quite oily. However I put some translucent powder. My skin looked radiant. I did not need primer or foundation. I was impressed. The packaging is convenient. I would use this product due to brown spots and hyperpigmentation. I felt that I had product on my skin unlike other Neutrogena products. I used this on my hands. Also I have been using reface retinol product which may have made my skin more sensitive when using this sunscreen. I will see how this goes within a few months and follow up.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2014 1:54:00 PM More reviews by cboylove

This cream is thick and white, it is the only chemical sunscreen that leaves a white cast. It dries down to a thick matte finish that looks horrible under makeup. The only reason that I give this a positive rating is because Neutrogena uses Helioplex technology which effectively stabilizes avobenzone. This sunscreen does a great job at protecting my skin since I use Retin A and I don't want it to be damaged. I only use this on days when I'm not wearing any makeup and when I'm going to be outside for any extended amount of time. Overall I think the price is a bargain since you get 3 ounces of high quality sunscreen.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 7:18:00 AM More reviews by shanhal

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I personally use this every day on my face, neck, and chest for normal wear. And my makeup artist uses it on the tops of my cheek bones for photoshoots! It's not greasy, or thick, like what comes to mind when you think of sun block. It dries down very quickly and it's matte, but velvet. And it's sweat resistant, and has never broken me out! Overall I like it and I would recommend it in a heartbeat

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by asukadoll

I have a huge collection of sunscreens, because I have post-acne hyper-pigmentation and need to protect my skin from the sun. I was running out the door, and needed to apply some sunscreen to exposed areas. I just grabbed this off the shelf as I hadn't tried it since buying. Unfortunately, my skin reacted really badly. After three days, I still have an eczema-like rash on my face, and my skin itches and is red-raw. If you have sensitive skin I would NOT recommend this.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2013 6:52:00 PM More reviews by Anastasia0902

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE IT. WORKS.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by teatreemint

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

110 SPF is kind of silly as it really doesn't mean anything but the overall higher concentrations of SS filters does mean a higher UVA protection and that's what I was going for. I think the PPD of this sunscreen was around 12-13 when I checked on ss simulator. But I forget. That's probably as good as it gets for American drugstore sunscreens.

Anyways..

Pros
P good protection. I have not sunburned while wearing it.
Smells nice. Like chemical, laboratory-y flowers.
Really creamy texture - would be good for dry skin.
Not *too* greasy. I definitely wouldn't call this matte though. Better for dry/normal skin than oily but not tooo terrible for oily skinned poeple.
Doesn't break me out or irritate my skin from what I can tell

Cons
If you use the appropriate 1/4 tsp, the thickness and creaminess of this SS becomes a problem. This stuff is so thick that you need to spend a few minutes working it in. With 1/4 tsp, it leaves a heavy, warm, suffocating feeling on the skin.

Leaves a shiny film to the skin (when you use a full 1/4 tsp). If you have oily skin, give yourself a few hours and you'll look like you're trying to replicate the Exxon Valdez.

Doesn't really adhere to the skin very long. I put this on a few hours ago and I'm touching my face as we speak and IDK where my sunscreen evaporated to. So that means you need to be very sure you reapply every 2 hours.

Overall i give it a 6/10 considering that it's decent protection in a pinch, or when you're on a budget, or can't access european ss.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2013 4:54:00 PM More reviews by kyaira93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I put this sunscreen on for the first time I used about a pea sized amount for each part of my face- cheeks, four head and chin and of course spread some down around my nose. Well it made me look like a ghost so I had to wash it all off. Now, I am a dark skinned African American and when I bought it I really didn't think it mattered what skin color you are because it's just sunscreen and I thought it would be like a moisturizer consistency where it just goes on clear. Not the case for me. So what I do now is just apply tiny dots of it and rub it in and even then it still makes my face look slightly white but not as much as the first time. Another problem with applying a smaller amount is that I can't spread it as much because it doesn't spread very much as it is thick, but as I said if I use more it makes my face white. So all in all I do think it's a good product but just not for dark skinned people.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by barcodegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First of all, I just think that marketing a sunscreen as 110 SPF is a little out of hand. I think it makes people think they are getting so much protection that they don't have to be as careful in the sun or they don't have to reapply it often. When using this, it's still important to practice basic sun safety, like don't sit under the sun for 5 hours in summer. Anyway, as for the actual sunscreen, I think it works well. I have very dry skin naturally, and I am on Retin-A, so that makes it even drier. I didn't experience any greasiness or oiliness with this, but it did feel kind of 'silky' and made my skin a little bit shiny. If you have oily skin, I think this would be okay, but there are probably other sunscreens out there that aren't as oily. This sunscreen still has that sunscreen smell, which kind of lingers. This also burns my skin for about five minutes after I apply it, but since starting Retin-A, everything has done that. I'd be careful with this if you have very dry skin, or if you are using any products that may dry out your skin. I've used foundation and concealers over this, and it didn't seem to affect the longevity or anything of those.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am slightly wary of American sunscreens as they tend not to have the same chemical sunscreens as the European ones I mostly use and like (like La Roche Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme in tinted and not tinted version made in France) so I was quite worried about my protection when I went for a trip to Texas this April as I have not been in the 'proper', scorching, hot, fainting inducing Sun for years now (sunny days are not that often in Scotland as you might think).

As I was very interested in US popular beauty brands and Neutrogena's sunscreens are not available in UK but had the best reviews, I went for this product to try and I must say it has not left my beauty counter since I am back from US and I am using it every single day!

I apply quite a hefty amount to my face and top of my hands (on my neck I usually wear a scarf), it sinks in very quickly without a greasy glow and without any white residue. It has a slightly flowery, fresh smell, yet I have not had any irritation when I apply it near my eyes (I do not put the sunscreen on lids though). It seems to moisturise my face a bit and does not tend to get that greasy pseudo glow as Anthelios does.

I have bit had any breakouts while using it, no cystic acne or blocked pores but I make sure I thoroughly take it off at the end of the day with an oil based cleanser (I double cleanse with Origins Clean Energy oil) as it is waterproof.

My skin has not had any new freckles since I've started using it and the ones I have already had did not darken at all, I would have said that they even lighten a bit.

It works well over my Jurlique Herbal Recovery Gel as well as over L'Oreal's vitamin C Luminizer serum and under any makeup I put on top (I use Dior and Chanel foundations in fluid and powder).

If I have a chance to get my hands on it again, I will be very glad to buy it one more time as it is deffinitely one of the most comfortable sunscreens I have came across in my sun-avoiding habits.