August 21, 2014 | 1774 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED

RELATED PRODUCTS

NAKED2: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=148781/NAKED2-/Urban-Decay/Palettes

NAKED3: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=167248/NAKED-3/Urban-Decay/Palettes

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2014 3:45:00 PM More reviews by miiyuu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

i don't see the hype about this product. seems like regular eyeshadow to me. i use it daily though for everyday look.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2014 7:50:00 PM More reviews by toohautetohandle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this when it was the only Naked palette out. I have fair skin with cool undertones and a tendency to redness (rosacea). This a great palette, but I think it's better suited for people with warm-toned skin. I have since gotten the Naked 2 palette and I use that a lot more.

The formula is great. I LOVE Urban Decay eyeshadows. They're so smooth and buttery. Great application. Great pigmentation; even better when applied wet. I've used the primer that comes with this a couple times and I think it increases the vibrancy of the shadows, but I didn't pay much attention to whether the shadow lasted longer with the primer vs. without. I've never tried other primers so I can't compare either. I find that UD shadows usually last well; sometimes they crease but my lids tend to be oily and I don't mind touching up.

There are tons of swatches and shade descriptions out there for this palette so I won't go into all of that. What I will say is that Virgin and Naked don't show up on my skin at all. I do sometimes use Naked as a base or to even out the skin on my lids if I want to look like I'm not wearing makeup. Buck is basically a deeper shade of the same nude/brown hue that Naked is, so if I'm going for that no-makeup look I also use Buck in my creases to help contour a bit.

Hustle is GORGEOUS on blue eyes. My favorite shade of the palette. Gunmetal is also gorgeous, but since it has blue undertones I think it would look better on brown eyes. I still love it though and often wear it with black shadow when I go out.

I used to use Smog as an all-over eyelid color before I got Naked 2, but I've found shades in Naked 2 are more flattering on me. Something about colors like Smog and Toasted bring out red tones in my skin. It's a shame.

The shades I never touch are Sidecar (the glitter is too big), Half Baked (a shimmery gold that really does not flatter my skin - I was disappointed that of all shades, this was the one to appear in both palettes), and Toasted (I used to mix this with Hustle and it worked okay but now I just reach for shades in Naked 2).

Creep is a black with fine silver glitter. It's a nice alternative to matte black if you're looking for a little something extra, but if you prefer matte shades you might be disappointed. I think that about sums up this palette - only a few matte shades, and those shades are basic colors (like Naked and Buck) - the rest are shimmery or glittery. I used to only wear matte shades but shimmer has grown on me (though I still don't like glitter). But be forewarned - if you hate shimmer, you won't find enough shades in this palette to make it worth buying.

I love that there's such a range of "neutral" eyeshadow shades in one easy palette. I've never had problems with the magnet closure opening during travel. I don't like the velvet finish to the palette or the gold letters, because the velvet gets dusty and the gold letters peel off. But as long as it's not opening up in my luggage I don't care too much about the packaging.

The mirror isn't huge but it's a decent size. Naked 2 has a heavier top and a larger mirror, which was nice at first but I've found that when I open it and set it on the counter it always tips backwards with the weight of the mirror. The original Naked never does that so that's a point in its favor.

When I bought this the eyeliner was no longer included; instead it came with a one-sided brush. It's not terrible but I usually use other brushes.

All in all, I think this is a really great palette for those with warm-toned skin, providing you like shimmer shadows. I used this every day before I got Naked 2, but not as frequently since. I say if you have cool-toned skin, don't bother with this palette. I will eventually use most of these shadows up, even if that means mixing them with other shadows, but I will not purchase again.

I don't regret buying this because this is a really good price for UD. Even if I never use Sidecar, Half Baked, or Toasted again, this is still a steal when you compare the prices of individual shadows to the price of this palette. I can totally see why these palettes are cult favorites. Just do your research/swatching to discover which of the three palettes is best for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2014 1:44:00 PM More reviews by kenka

I really liked this product, it may be a little expensive for my personal opinion, but it is very good,, however I did not like the primer that it came with,,

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by Momeramas

This could be your HG palette. Plenty of nice neutral colors that tend to lean warm, and look at all these 5 lippie reviews. However, if you are older, like me, the shimmer shades do not work so well with my crepey lids. "Sin" for example, looks smooth on my 20 year old daughter, but on me, looks uneven. Some shimmers are better than others for me. For example, the ones in the LORAC pro palette seem to go on more smoothly. I also like the L'Oreal Infallibles. If you want an awesome matte palette, Paula's Choice can't be beat.

The other thing I would note about Naked 1 is that this palette lacks a matte vanilla/cream shade for the highlight area. "Virgin" is most often used as a highlight, but I don't really like to shine up the area just below my eyebrows! I think you are better off using Virgin as an inner corner highlight. For travel, forget this (it's too big and bulky) and it does not have a secure latch. I would highly recommend the Naked Basics Palette for travel.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2014 12:04:00 AM More reviews by aberg1991

Let me start out by saying I've tried a LOT of eye shadows. Like, a lot. All of the drug store brands, and a lot of higher end ones. I just love eye shadow. I used to get a little more crazy with colors, but these days I keep it pretty neutral, so I decided that it would be a good idea to invest in a good palette of neutral colors that I could use every day. Boy, did I pick the right palette. I am so obsessed with these colors. I love it. I have blue eyes, blond/brown hair, and a fair complexion so they work well for me. Yes, it's expensive. But dang, this palette will last you forever. I'm someone who will spend the cash on a make up product if I'm convinced that it really is the best out there and if it's something I will use a lot. Urban Decay NAKED palettes are the best out there. The pigment's are wonderful, and they go one well (especially when you use the primer potion!) and they STAY. The mark of an awful eye shadow is if it can't stay on all day. I also use a finishing spray on top just to give everything an extra incentive to stay in its place. My eye make up always looks just as good at the end of the day (if not better, after it's had time to blend into place), as it did when I first applied it. It's well worth the money. You will not regret it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by BoundlessBeauty

I enjoy this palette thoroughly. The color pigmentation is good; however being primarily shimmery, most colors have a lot of fallout. It is my least favorite of the three Naked palettes, but that's not saying much considering the other palettes are amazing! I also love the primer it comes with.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Tropicll

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was so hyped up about this when I got it for Christmas and had big expectations.
I was half happy and half disappointed.
The free brush that came with it was ok. It's a flat shader brush which I've personally never used, but I guess would be good for first timers. The packaging I did like although I feel like they could've worked a bit more on the closure. The material on the outside did attract hair and dust (I have a white furry dog!) but that was no problem to me. The mirror is also quite handy

These shadows are a beautiful array of colours - neutral matte and shimmer. The only thing that let me down was that the matte shadows were quite dry, and not very pigmented and therefore hard to work with and build up. The shimmers were ok.
These didn't crease on me with a primer or without one.

I do overall like this product, but was just a bit disappointed with the mattes.

Pros: lots of colours to choose from, shimmers and mattes, free brush, mirror
Cons: closure wasn't very secure, matte shadows were a bit dry

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2014 9:17:00 PM More reviews by sarbel

Great colours and quality. Highly pigmented.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by samanthabecker9

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Being a frugal shopper, I do not usually purchase extremely expensive make up. However, my cousin had this palette at her house and I used it before we went out one night. I instantly fell in love with the colors on the palette. I was not quite sure if I was ready to drop 50 dollars on an eye shadow palette but after that one experience with the Naked palette, no other eye shadow measured up! One year later, I have not even made a dent in the eye shadows on the palette, even though I use it constantly (my favorite color being Half-Baked :~) ). I can create so many looks with this palette. I can create a sexy smokey eye with the darker colors when I go out at night or I can create a natural look with the more neutral tones. The LITTLE TINY thing that annoyed me about the packaging was how easily the palette opens. I have to be extra careful if I want to pack it in a suitcase or put it in my purse. The color lasts all day, even without the shadow primer that comes with it, although the shadow primer is pretty awesome. I usually save the primer for looks that require more layers of eye shadow. If i'm just putting on a quick layer of Buck, I do not need the primer and the color still lasts! Once I run out (though it will probably be awhile until that happens), I will certainly be repurchasing. I thought about purchasing Naked2 but I can create most of the colors on that palette with the Naked1 palette! All in all, this is a fabulous product and it definitely opened my eyes to the value of quality make up.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/17/2014 5:02:00 AM More reviews by bribi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

One of the most popular makeup products ever, and I have to say, I don't TOTALLY get it. I'll keep it short, because there's already a million reviews, but this is not a good palette if you have fair, cool skin. Or dark eyes. I know there are other Naked Palettes better suited to that coloring, but this is definitely not it. That aside, though, I find myself using only two shadows on a daily basis, because all of the others are shimmer. TOO MUCH SHIMMER.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No