November 24, 2014 | 2004 users online

Hair Color - Cinnamon Powder Hair Color

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2014 7:50:00 PM More reviews by alh011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

You could have blown me over with a feather after I tried a cinnamon and honey treatment to lighten my hair! It definitely worked! Not as much as bleach or chemical lighteners work, but it definitely stripped some of the black from my hair.

I recently changed hairdressers and my new one didn't listen to what I wanted and put a darker colour in than I requested, either that or he made a mistake when mixing it. Either way he suggested darker, I said no but somehow I ended up with black hair. Grrrr

I tried dandruff shampoo which only made my hair really dry so I thought I'd try this treatment. I had all the ingredients at home so I made up a batch according to some youtube reviews, wrapped my head in cling wrap and slept with it on. In the morning it was an absolute bugger to wash out, and made a complete mess of the bathroom but the result was worth it. My hair was definitely a shade lighter, and with more of a red tint to it rather than matte black. It's still dark but at least it's not plain matte black anymore.

I put random amounts of honey, water and cinnamon in a bowl, mixed it and left it to 'set' as was recommended on you tube. Apparently it lets the peroxide develop??? I then added a small amount of coconut oil for more moisture and put it on clean damp hair. Once it had 'set' it was like jelly and applied easy although I couldn't comb it through because it was too thick.

A few tips: I read that you need raw honey, which I already had, not standard cheap yellow honey, and purified water. There's heaps of variations on the recipe but they all seem quite similar.

I was so impressed with the results that I tried it again a week later using less cinnamon this time, mostly to save having to clean the bathroom, and it wasn't as successful as the first time. I put a treatment conditioner in place of the oil this time. I'm not sure if that also contributed to it being less successful or if it was because the first time I did it there was more colour in my hair to be removed. Either way it's cheap, easy, you can do it yourself at home and if all else fails at least it's a treatment for your hair and leaves it softer and shinier.

Make sure you put 2 towels over your pillow if you sleep with it!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/31/2013 5:23:00 PM More reviews by fazli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I tried this last year a couple of times. I have mid to light brown hair, and this made my hair orange-ish a bit, but not lighter

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2013 1:53:00 AM More reviews by TouchOfSin

I use this for boost the lightening process with honey. I love how you can go like 3 shades lighter with this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2010 3:02:00 PM More reviews by missvox2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is review for plain old Cinnamon to lighten dark hair at home. Cinnamon has very low amounts of peroxide lightening properties. My friend had saw some beauty gurus online lighten their hair with a mixture of thick hair conditioner, honey and cinnamon powder from kitchen pantry. You have to use it 2-3 times to get any change in shade. 8-12 times to get to a light auburn tone and leave it on for 12 hours each application.

So we gave it a go ourselves---without the honey and added olive oil. Don't think olive or honey have any affect on color but will help condition your hair throughout the process. Both of us have virgin hair, never been colored. She has black hair and I have regular dark brown hair. The porportions we used are for 1 application on medium length hair. 4 tablespoons Cinnamon powder, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 cup of thick conditioner, wrap with shower cap. I left it on for 4 hours and she left it on for 12 hours. Rinse and shampooed right away as cinnamon can be irritating on skin. My hair had very subtle auburn tint, almost 1/2 shade lighter. Hers went a shade lighter. She did another application a couple of week later and now she has gone to an auburn color.

I wouldn't do this unless you really want a natural alternative and also dark hair. Another plus is the nice powdery cinnamon scent you get after you wash your hair.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No