December 22, 2014 | 1126 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Shiseido - White Lucent Brightening Control Base

rated 1 of 5 on 10/31/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by lunarian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I bought this based on the rave reviews on MakeupAlley without first patch testing or even reading the ingredients.

Had I not been swept away by my naive excitement, and supposing I had glanced even momentarily at the ingredients, I would have given this straight back to the sales assistant. The third ingredient is SD Alcohol 40-B, which is an extreme irritant for sensitive skin.

I used this to cover up an unsightly breakout from another product applied much too liberally, and although it provided fairly decent coverage, it also made things so much worse and broke me out everywhere I applied it. My face and neck were so blemished with deep cystic acne that it left me utterly miserable. Foolishly, even though it had so severely aggravated my acne, I continued to use it on my neck for a few days to cover up the damage it had already caused. Almost four weeks on, several ugly red nodules still remain on my neck (while my face is considerably clearer) and the deepest cysts are only finally starting to go away.

If your skin is even slightly sensitive, I would definitely warn against this product. I have definitely learned my lesson and now thoroughly check the ingredients of all potential new purchases.

Active Ingredients:
OCTINOXATE 2.9%, TITANIUM DIOXIDE 8.4%
Inactive ingredients:
CYCLOMETHICONE, WATER, SD ALCOHOL 40-B, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, CETYL ETHYLHEXANOATE, TRANEXAMIC ACID, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, GLYCERIN, SORBITAN SESQUIISOSTEARATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, PEG/PPG-14/7 DIMETHYL ETHER, 2-O-ETHYL ASCORBIC ACID, SODIUM HYALURONATE, STEARIC ACID, ISOSTEARIC ACID, ALUMINUM DISTEARATE, TRISODIUM EDTA, POLYSILICONE-2, SODIUM METABISULFITE, BHT, TOCOPHEROL, PHENOXYETHANOL, FRAGRANCE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES, CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2014 9:15:00 AM More reviews by jayanne

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The alcohol content of this product is so high that I can smell it while the product was on my skin. My skin became red, dry, more sensitive and felt burnt after using it twice and has not recovered since.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with sensitive skin that cannot take alcohol.

The base left a smooth canvas for makeup but ultimately I think it will do more harm than good to the skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2014 11:08:00 PM More reviews by CarlaCatalina

I love this uv base! It's my HG primer 😍 I have this one in pink, i'm nc25, acne prone, fairly sensitive. I have oily-combi skin. It makes my skin dewy, supple, bright, and it has amazing texture. I got so many compliments after using this, and it photograph really well. Good job Shiseido 😍😊👍👏

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 2:59:00 PM More reviews by SmillaGirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this based on the reviews on this site and I'm pleased I did, it's amazing stuff. I have it in Ivory. It's a little pricey but I will definitely rebuy. I like how it's not silicone-ish like most primers are.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2014 10:06:00 AM More reviews by absdeinn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have this in Ivory. I am very please with this product. It sinks on my skin perfectly giving it a bit of glow. It is not oily nor too drying. I don't do much makeup, with this base and a little bit of Lancôme powder. I am good to go.

After using it for about a month, I did find my skin colour lighter and smoother.

It is on the pricey side but most of Shiseido's product are pricey anyway, but with good quality.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by forlornflo

My mom forced me to buy the green control base at a Korean grocery store 3 years ago because 'ooh! it looks so nice on you like you're wearing foundation!'. I stopped wearing it after one use because I looked like a ghost. But it went on nice and smooth, and felt invisible and odorless (unlike foundation). I should note that I hate wearing makeup because I'm too lazy to put it on and perfect it (brushes and all).

I tried using it as a primer years later with Shiseido powder foundation. It still was too white (since my face is a bit ruddy). My friends noted at weddings that I looked like a ghost.

Finally, I bought the ivory control base at Hong Kong International Airport after reading reviews (and needing to hit a purchase minimum for a gift). I also suffer from hyperpigmentation now as opposed to 3 years ago, hence white lucent. Came home, mixed a dab of ivory and green together in a jet-lagged haze, and voila! Perfection. It covers the slight redness on my nose and cheeks, yet evens out my uneven asian skintone on my forehead, temples and chin. It's quick and easy to apply (I dab it on like the emulsion, then smear/blend slightly). It absorbs the oil around my T-area incredibly well after 15 hours of wear.

For $39 (or $80), its not terribly expensive since one drop covers the entire surface area of my face perfectly. One tube will probably last me several years (like most Shiseido products).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 12:03:00 AM More reviews by greeniesyt

Goes on extremely smooth.The green one balance my red skin quite well and i can even use it alone without a foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 6:47:00 AM More reviews by jessimon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This seems to now be called Brightening Spot Control Base, but is the same formulation as the title. I purchased the Ivory and it does brighten my face! (FYI Mac NC 25) I combine it with Chi Chi BB Cream and the combination evens out my skin while looking natural. Unfortunately, my skin isn't what it used to be when I was in high school/uni, so it does need a little help, but this is just enough that I feel my skin looks nice without looking like I have a layer of makeup on. I think it is fragrance free (I can't smell anything) and the colour doesn't change during the day. The packaging is good - it's in a squeeze tube so you don't waste anything, it's not exposed to air/fingers and is easy to take travelling. I have stocked up on it because you never know when it will be available through strawberrynet (and the regular price is expensive)!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2013 7:50:00 AM More reviews by bkaips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Really, really love this stuff! I had been toying with the idea of buying it for months, in ivory, but didn't want to spend $$ on something that didn't work. Luckily I found a small trial size on Ebay to try out. SO glad I did!! Really does brighten my 42 year old complexion, doesn't settle in fine lines or pores and just makes my skin look vibrant and smooth! I use my Garnier BB cream in light/med over top and voila...beautiful skin. Price rating reflects the amount you get for the price you pay, not much in a tube but I purchase on Ebay for way less. Keeps my face looking fab all day, which is the first time I've found something that does...definite winner in my book!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by LeMaki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't use this as a base for my skin, but instead as a primer on my eyelids. It works wonderfully! It makes the colours so much more vibrant, and they last for such a long time. I can go clubbing and go to bed with my eye makeup still on, and in the morning the colour still looks fresh (my mascara on the other hand...) I love it.

However, when I lent this to my friend with sensitive skin, she broke out in itchy patches on her eyelids. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who frequently reacts to chemicals.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No