July 23, 2014 | 1934 users online

Treatments - Seche - Rebuild

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2013 11:57:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

EDIT: Having used this for some months, I'm going to have to revise this review and my rating.

The directions with this are somewhat strange. If you intend to use ONLY this product, it's fairly standard: put one coat on, and another every day for four days, then remove and start over. However, if you intend to wear this under a coloured polish, the directions say that you should put this on your nails, then put the coloured polish on, and reapply this and the coloured polish every day. Uhm... what?

This product's big claim to fame is that it "seals the layers of the nail together", which sounds great, but how is applying this, plus polish, plus this, plus polish, until you've built up eight (or more) layers going to do anything for the layers of your nail? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Rather, I wore one coat and then another the next day if I wasn't doing a full manicure, but no more than two coats because it gets very milky and the pale colour made my hands look sickly.

This is NOT a good base coat and it doesn't protect your nails from staining, nor does it provide a particularly good surface for the polish. You can, however, wear a clear base over this and put the polish on that, and it works okay.

One other thing to note about this polish/treatment is that it's got a pretty strong smell, sort of chemical-plastic, and the smell lingers for quite a while. It's not a huge issue, and I've smelled worse, but even a couple hours after applying this, I can still sometimes catch a whiff of the chemical smell. I'm only mentioning it for completeness.

Should also add that this takes a very long time to dry. You can't put on multiple coats the way you can with polish. You really need to give it hours between coats. If you try to do multiple coats before the lower layer has time to fully dry, you can get a really nasty, ropey, uneven mess (voice of experience here). You could probably do multiple coats in one day, but you need to allow several hours in between.

And now the "edited" part. After wearing this for some time, I found several things. First, it appears to have yellowed my nails, but I'm not 100% sure it was this product that caused it. I am about 75% sure, though. Secondly, and this is a bigger deal to me, it didn't strengthen or help my nails. The specific problem for which I started using this product (tearing or cracking of the index finger nail on the thumb side, very close to or below the quick) kept right on happening. So it was basically a big waste of time and money for me. Can't recommend this at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2013 1:41:00 AM More reviews by mylifeasjaz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wish I could write a good review on this. I usually research products and their reviews on this website beforehand. I saw all the great reviews this had, and then I set out to buy it. Turns out, it wasn't how I expected it to be.

My first impression was that I was actually really confused that there weren't any directions to go with it, like how to apply, how often to apply etc. (unless I accidentally skipped over that). So I just implied that you applied maybe a coat or two and then added some over it a couple days later like every other standard nail strengthener. I put two coats of the Rebuild on my nails, and then left it alone. The next day, I took a shower. It actually chipped off in the shower, which got me to think that I should use it as a base coat under my polish. I took it all off and redid it again, with a good brand of nail polish and topcoat. After my shower it chipped again. It actually chipped more with the nail polish and topcoat on.

I have to admit, it did make my nails feel less flimsy and it made them look whiter because of the milky color, but my nails still peeled and flaked and broke no matter how much I put it on, or how often, or how little. Also, I don't like the fact it has Formaldehyde, and i won't be repurchasing again for this reason. Maybe I am applying it wrong or maybe I got a bad batch. But if I do happen to dig the half full bottle of Rebuild out and try it one last time, I will edit this review if I see any changes.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 7:54:00 PM More reviews by sgtpastulio

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

To start, I have always had really troublesome nails. I've never done anything to take care of them, and after years of nail biting, hand washing at work, and now rock climbing, my nails are essentially in a constant state of disarray. Seche Vite Rebuild was the very first strengthening treatment I've ever tried, and boy, this stuff works. I slapped it on before going rock climbing a month ago and didn't break a single nail. I thought it was a fluke, but today again, I climbed super hard and no breakage! This stuff is a miracle. It says it functions as a base coat as well, and so far I haven't had any staining issues using it as such, but still, I prefer to use a separate base. Paired with the SV topcoat, my nails have never looked better. For 7 bucks at Bed Bath and Beyond, I will definitely be repurchasing this guy!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2012 5:34:00 AM More reviews by kerriki

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

OK this stuff works. I have sort of healthy but too flexible and flaky nails, freakily only on some fingers...after only a couple of weeks my pesky peeling thumb right and middle left got their act together and stopped disintegrating every time I deciding to scrub the old polish (because I am a farmer and gardener and do a LOT with my hands...) ...this lets me go silly with the amazing polishes out there...frankly I am amazed at how it has allowed me to grow that thumbnail out!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by veraphyng

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

i have slight OCD and whenever i see even a slight peel on my nail i'll try to get it off and end up peeling half the tip away. the only way i can avoid peeling is by wearing nail polish as i always think that nail polish is too pretty to destroy. i'd previously used CG Nail Fortifier and i loved that (despite the terrible smell), but i'd accidentally smashed it so i thought that i would get something from Seche as i LOVE Seche Vite. after reading glowing reviews about Seche Rebuild, i decided to try it for myself. the first time i used it (the smell was just as bad btw), i was pretty excited, but it chipped SO easily. the tips of your nails would look as if the top layer had been peeled off when in actual fact it was the Rebuild. my nails DID feel alot harder, BUT for some reason it didn't stop it from peeling in any way. i followed the instructions exactly (not to leave it on for more than 4 days) but when removing it i noticed that my nails were still peeling at the edges. it's pointless to have hard nails but peeling edges, right? :( also, after a few uses (i've been painting it religiously for nearly 2 months now, removing after every 3-4 days), it becomes goopy and very streaky and thick on the nail. it's safe to say that i'm very disappointed in this product and i will still go back to my CG Nail Fortifier. it's not bad if you don't have nails that peel alot and an obsession with peeling your nails, but if you're like me, this is NOT the product for you.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 7:29:00 PM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

While this did help keep my nails from breaking, tearing and splitting, I would not repurchase this because it keeps flaking and chipping off at the edges and if I try to paint over it, it is very obvious. So I have to completely take it off and reapply it every 2-3 days which is just a pain.
EDIT* I added a lippie because I noticed that my nails did not break or tear the week after I took this off and left it off for 2 days - this is unheard of, usually if I dont have anything on my nails they immediately rip in at the corners.
I have long pretty nails atm!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2011 11:24:00 PM More reviews by pulsesync

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been a nail-biter for life. When I finally tried to quit the habit, even when my nails grew out, 3 would break at a time within 2 months, most often the ring and pinky fingernails of either hand. My index fingernail and thumbnail almost never broke but I couldn't find a solution to keep any of them from breaking or peeling. It would also take me at least a month to grow 1 or 2 mm of my nails.

Enter Seche Rebuild, perhaps the 4th nail strengthening polish I've tried. All other ones were from Sally Hansen -- and I don't like any of them except the one that comes in a lavender bottle but it's still not worth the money. Anyway, I use one coat of Seche Rebuild as a base coat on my thumb, index, and middle fingernails and two coats on my ring and pinky fingernails. This is amazing! I used to have to ALWAYS wear nail polish if I wanted my nails to keep from breaking within a few hours. Nowadays if I'm in between days of doing my nails, nothing will happen to them. I can have them bare for days to "breathe" or to keep from staining from all the other colored polish.

I'm really happy with the results and my nails feel really strong. Of course, not acrylic fake nails strong, but I can stand to open a soda can top these days instead of being afraid I'll definitely break a nail and have to grow it out for 2 months AGAIN.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2011 11:22:00 PM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I found this product to be "okay". I wish my results were as successful as the previous reviews; maybe they are using this product in conjunction with some other stuff -I don't know. I use Rebuild by itself, two layers, and my nails do feel a little bit stronger (thicker and less flexible) but they're still prone to snags, tears and breakages as they grow longer. Also, the layers seem to peel off at the edges, especially near my cuticles and sides of my nail bed, within 2 days. By the 3rd day, I can peel off the layers with my thumb nail, like telltale onion skins. FYI, my nails are not damaged from working with my hands or acrylics/gels or anything, they're simply weak all on their own. SIGH. Some things I do like about Rebuild: it dries fairly quickly and it's virtually colourless, but does it actually "rebuild" my nails? No. [EDIT] check out "witchcraft nail hardener" -it's my definite HG nail repairer.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2011 6:10:00 AM More reviews by poppypixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I haven't actually used this product but my mum has. She asked me to do some research and find a product for her weak, peeling, flaking nails so I came to MUA and saw the reviews for this product.

The change has been amazing, she is actually able to grow her nails! She started using it at the beginning of June and I saw her the other day (just under 2 months later) and her nails are not perfect (yet) but sooo much better. I know she's been suffering with poor quality nails for the past 20 years so it's great that there is a product that can finally help her. My sister is using it too now.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2011 9:56:00 PM More reviews by LizSaysSo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

A lot of products claim to make your nails stronger. Most provide the added strength of only an extra layer of base coat-- a huge disappointment when your nails shatter daily and you just spent ten dollars.

If you're looking for rock hard, I'm talkin' slice-diamonds-in-midair nails, look no further! Wow. They don't bend. They don't peel. They don't tear. They don't split. They just grow, grow, grow because, as it turns out, that what nails that aren't in a constant state of disrepair do.

It's not a base coat or a top coat, but it doesn't promise to be. You can use it as a base coat, but I find my polish chips faster when I use this as my base. It's absolutely the best nail reinforcer I've ever come across.