September 1, 2014 | 2011 users online

Brows - Refectocil permanent eyebrow tint

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 7:10:00 PM More reviews by clairerenee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this lash/brow tint for about 35 years. I did train as an esthetician back in the and that's where I first used it. Up until 5 years ago I only tinted my lashes but in past five years my brows (and lashes) have been growing in white. Weird as the hair on my head is still dark with maybe 5 white hairs!

Anyway I have used blue black tint on my lashes and love it. It brings out the green in my eyes and if I want to go sans fard, I don't look washed out. For my brows I use brown.

I think that this is powerful stuff and it's troubling that it is sold on internet. Something this powerful should never be used (especially around eyes!) without a ensuring no allergies or sensitivities exist, whether you have sensitive skin or not. This is just common sense!

Use carefully and as directed it is safe in my opinion. Doing your own lashes is tricky and if you can get a nimble friend to do your lashes, probably a good idea.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 9:32:00 PM More reviews by kjameson

I love this brow tint. I got it on amazon, as a kit with the tint, the activator (some type of peroxide I think), a little brush, and a small plastic bowl to mix it in. I'm not exactly sure what the price what but I think it was around $30, pretty affordable seeing as I've barely made a dent in it the past four months. It's only for brows so I use less than a pea-sized dot each time. It's gonna last me foreverrrrrrr!
I have also used it on my eyelashes, with success. PLEASE do NOT take this to mean that it is safe for anyone to use on their eyelashes. I read up on the product a lot before buying it, I read a lot of reviews that said to keep it clear of the eyes and I also read some that said it was okay to use on the eyelashes.
I first only did my eyebrows, waited a couple days to see how my skin would react, and nothing happened. So then I tried it on my lashes, also zero irritation for me. I don't have sensitive skin at all, or a sensitive body for that matter. No allergies, never get rashes from reactions to stuff. So in general, I would advise a patch test with the stuff before you put it on your face because I'm not the average case.
I use it once every two weeks or so. It is so fast and easy to mix up, use, and clean up. Just mix the dye with the activator, brush on the eyebrows, clean the brush and bowl while I let the tint sit. And then wipe the tint off first with a dry cotton pad, then damp cotton pad. And that's it! Takes LITERALLY about FIVE MINUTES total. I only leave the tint on for about two minutes. It gets darker the longer you leave it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2012 9:53:00 PM More reviews by musikgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had an eyebrow and eyelash tint done at a salon. It became a nightmare - After a few days, my eyes started to puff up and swell up. I woke up every morning with the swelling worse than the night before. Red itchy all around my eyes. Horrible product. I cannot believe I put it on. It should never be touching someone's skin, unless you're made of elephant skin!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2012 1:46:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

First heard of this product from my esthetician. During a facial appointment, she offered to tint my brows for free after waxing them. I loved it so much that I found out everything she used and she taught me how to do it myself at home. Keep in mind that my brows are naturally white-blonde...barely noticeable. Here's how I was taught:
1. Shape and wax the brows to remove strays.
2. In a small glass container, mix 1 pea sized drop of dye (she used Light Brown on me) and 2-3 drops of developer (she used Refectocil Oxidant 3% 10 VOL) until blended.
3. With a small brush, apply mixture to the brows. She started on the tail end since it is more sparse. Clean up any mistakes with a q-tip.
4. Allow mixture to sit on brows for 5-10 minutes. She left it on me for 10 minutes.
5. To remove: you will need two cotton balls or pads. One wet and one dry.
6. Using the dry cotton ball/pad, remove color. Flip cotton ball/pad over and wipe again.
7. Using the wet cotton ball/pad, wipe off any remaining color.

This method gives color to my brows for at least 3-4 weeks. They will begin to fade much like any hair dye, but I prefer this method over using brow pencil EVERY SINGLE MORNING when I do my makeup. With this, I apply brow gel and that's it. No need to use anymore color unless you wanted a darker look. Done!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2011 3:40:00 AM More reviews by danekahj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have a very fair skin, yet am not allergic to most cosmetics, hair dyes etc. I did however have my brows tinted by a beauty therapist in a local salon about a week ago. At the time when she applied the tint, it was extremely painful (stinging sensation) but only on the one brow. I mentioned it and she said it was because she had just shaped the brow. Anyway to cut a long story short, since then each morning I have woken up with very puffy eyelids and dry, irritated eyes and headache, my right eye worse than the left. I have been taking antihistemine tablets for two days now which has helped the puffiness it seems. After telephoning the therapist to find out what the product was I discovered that it is Refectocil. I have no doubt that not all people have this kind of reaction, but thought it may be a good idea to warn others of the possiblity.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2011 10:32:00 AM More reviews by meleaf

I have been using Refectocil to dye my brows for at least 10 years. I first had it done in a little Russian salon in NYC. I thought I could do this myself at home. I found Refectocil on a trip to Europe and have used it ever since. Like the previous reviewer, I used the original tube I bought for a good 9 years. Now it is easy to buy here in the U.S. I have seen it on Amazon and on ebay.

I have very blonde, "invisible" brows. The hair on my head is dirty blonde naturally. That is not a good look for me. By dying my brows they look good, and natural all the time.

Like the previous reviewer wrote, the first daythey can be scarey dark. After that, they look great for weeks. Sometimes I may add a little brow powder or Chanel's taupe eyebrow pencil (my HG) if I am wearing a full face of makeup.

I use it with developer/peoxide 30 from the beauty supply store. I am not sure what the difference would be for 10, 20, 30 or 40. Recently I bought a bottle of the developer from Refectocil. The results did not last nearly as long.

This is a great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2010 3:57:00 PM More reviews by eemajin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As a redhead with naturally strawberry blonde eyebrows, I have permanently tinted them for many years. That way I don't get caught with invisible eyebrows, which is not very flattering on me. The powder stuff looks good when fresh, but doesn't last at all, and anyway, I want my brows to appear very natural, including after sweating or showering, or whenever. Many years ago I used a kit with small glass bottles that were mixed in small quantities for each application. I could get it at the beauty supply store only and claim that I was a professional. It was messy and tricky because so liquidy, but worked, and the kit would last a year or two. Then one day they had a version, without a kit, but in a cream-filled metal tube (like oil paints). Also had to buy a 2 oz bottle of developer (10 volume?). It lasted me roughly 8 years! Now that I can no longer squeeze out any more of that beloved product, I have turned to ebay for a replacement. I bought Refectocil "Chestnut" as well as another color... I think it was "Taupe". (they didn't have plain brown at that time) The Taupe color was too gray on me and the Chestnut was too red. But when mixed, the color was okay. I picked up a small bottle of 40 volume developer, and it appears to work just the same as the 10 volume. I seem to have lost my taupe tube, so plan to order brown. Not sure if I should get light or medium. Will update. FYI: Also comes in Black, Blonde, Graphite, and Deep Blue.
Historically, the biggest problem with permanent eyebrow dye is that it looks too dark the first day no matter how hard I scrub. Plucking a little, and adding a tan eyeshadow and mascara helps mitigate the problem. But it looks perfect subsequently, and lasts 4 to 5 weeks.
Awww, much more glamorous! Now I look more like Madonna than Pippy Longstocking.

update: the #3 Natural Brown is a good color for me. Too dark the first day, but perfect the second.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No