September 23, 2014 | 1842 users online

Treatments - Sephora - Sephora by OPI - Hydrator

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by NikkiatMAC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this product. I use it alone as a nail polish. It makes my nails look shiny and beautiful. I love the slight grayish- blue tint that makes my nails look a million times better than if i had just buffed them alone. It also dries super fast, under a minute and I'm ready to go. Plus it lasts a few days before I need to redo it. I also like that I don't have to use polish remover, because as it wears off, it does not look bad like regular nail polish. I've had my bottle for 18 months and its still 3/4 full. Awesome value, awesome product.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2010 11:59:00 AM More reviews by nobunny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

junk. junk junk junk junk junk. even makes your nails look worse. no hydration. if you want to hydrate your nails, use any oil or hand cream or anything but this. barielle makes a good hydrating ridge filler that does years better than this could even try to claim. do not purchase. listen to reviewer below.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2010 5:33:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"Sephora by OPI Hydrator is an essential step for the woman who wants healthy, moisturized nails and a long-lasting manicure or pedicure. Use it alone on bare natural nails as a treatment or as a base coat under polish."

Claims - True or False?
1) Healthy, moisturized nails: False.
2) Long-lasting manicure or pedicure: False.

Packaging:
As the packaging is quite similar to the original OPIs, I will simply compare.
The caps are a smooth, matte black with a slight grit for grip. The Sephora by OPI caps are rounded off unlike the original OPIs, and I find that this roundness makes for a more comfortable gripping. The shapes of the bottles are more or less the same, but the Sephora by OPI bottles are more rounded. The smoothness of the shape is similar to that of China Glaze polishes. The Sephora by OPI brushes are much smaller than the originals, which I find offers better control and less streaking. With the original OPI pro-wide brush, I always end up with streaks, and with the creams it's almost impossible to apply.
Aesthetically, I find that it looks better, especially with the typography, and functionally, I prefer the Sephora by OPI bottles to the originals.

Consistency:
This is definitely much thicker than a base or top coat, and is more similar to a nail polish. Has a greyish tint to it, which does show up on the nails. This means that it is not going to be suitable to all skin tones - I find it looks somewhat awkward against my skin tone. Because it is tinted, any streaks or uneven applications will be quite noticeable. It's quite shiny, leaves the nails feeling smooth without the general feeling of polish.

Ease of Use:
Overall, it's pretty easy to use. The brush is slim enough to allow the product to not get on the skin around the nails, and the formula is thick enough smooth over quite easily. Easy to remove as well.

Bang for your Buck:
At $9.00USD for 15mL, I find that the price is quite a bargain when compared to other non-drug store brands. I paid around $12.00CAD for the polish, which is a few dollars more expensive than the original OPIs. Treatment polishes can generally be quite hit or miss, and the price is reasonable enough to not have to worry if it doesn't work. Plus, Sephora has an excellent return policy.

Final Consensus:
As a treatment polish, this is an absolute failure in many respects. As a regular polish, this is again an absolute failure. I really am not a fan of treatment polishes, as I find that they always worsen the condition of my nails. I really do not recommend this particular product to anyone.
- Pros: Not overly expensive, easy to use.
- Cons: Drying, tint will not be flattering for many skin tones, somewhat thick and gloopy, does not apply evenly, shine fades quickly, does not last long on nails.

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 2/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.