November 28, 2014 | 1623 users online

Polishes - Chanel - Le Vernis Nail Colour in Paradoxal #509

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2013 7:30:00 PM More reviews by amygirl3540

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I received this nail color last year for Christmas. I have pale skin, but I think this color looks nice. I prefer it for my toes, but I also occasionally use this on my fingers, too. It really looks like the pictures that other MUA members posted. I think it is unique and wears very well. I don't have a problem paying the higher price for a good quality and really unique shade. I haven't had any problems with chipping or streaking. Very chic and modern.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 4:28:00 AM More reviews by 7Out7

Paradoxal launched a few years ago for the winter season. It is a dark, gray purple creme. Some describe it as a dusky purple. In the bottle it has glowy, lighter purple veins shot through, easy to see if you turn the bottle in sunlight. Alas, this interesting effect does not transfer to the nail itself. The shade you do get is quite nice if you like deep, almost black colors. In the sun you can see subtle red and violet micro-shimmer, something Chanel is famous for doing so well.

In previous comments many have said Chanel chips too fast. My experience is that with most Chanel polishes (and I admit to having many...maybe too much) I can expect a manicure to last five to eight days with nothing more egregious than slight tip wear. Not every "trick" works for every person but I will give you mine and hopefully something I share will help someone.

Just before you apply base coat, it is important to have on a clean, dry nail. Washing your hands in soap and water won't give you the right surface for polish. You have to remove all traces of oils and soaps. I use white vinegar, wiping down each nail (don't skip nail sides) with a lint-free cloth (paper towels work well here). I have used Chanel's base coat and others and they all work well. Let it dry thoroughly before putting on your Chanel color. I also like to allow a few minutes between coats, although there are many who don't want to spend the extra time on this. Anyway, make sure you seal the free edge too, if your nails are long enough, with each coat (including base, color and top coat).

Paradoxal gives excellent coverage in two coats. The first one is a bit streaky and uneven but all that is taken care of with one more coat.

I apply a top coat (not Seche Vite, which causes shrinkage if it is directly on top of any color). My favorite top coat is Barielle's Manicure Extender. If I have let all coats dry well between each, I don't normally even need Seche but if I do, now would be the time to get that on.

The next day I re-apply a coat of Manicure Extender. That is my "secret" trick. I might even re-apply it on random subsequent days. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 4:36:00 PM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I would only buy this again because the color is gorgeous. Very sophisticated and becoming on my very pale yellowish toned skin. But, the lasting power is awful for me even with my usual base and top coats which keep other polishes for at least a few days without chips. Unfortunately, I tend to only use it for my toes because the chips come so fast.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by 4Bella

I love the color: grey/purple but there is no dimension like in the bottle. Still worth of trying.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2012 6:08:00 PM More reviews by merekat703

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite Chanel polish I have. The color is unusual (even though there are dupes) and the application is clean and easy. Subtle purple shimmer give the mani a nice glow. Lasts a few days. Its a must have and worth the money!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by dbfivegirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just bought this last friday. An trying to use for first time. Appalling consistency. Absolutely awful application. So much thicker than Chanel polishes normally are. Will try thinning it down but certainly very unhappy with my wasted $40AUS purchase at this stage:(. Boo Chanel boo!!!

Update: ok whilst I'm still really annoyed at the thickness of this and the second coat was no more fun to apply than the first damn coat, it actually did dry very smooth and flat. It was as if it hadn't been thick and gloopey at all. Still not impressed with the consistency and will thin it down once my order of Restore arrives. But I must say I love the colour. So I've up the overall to 3 lippies from my original 1 lippy for the fact that it did dry ok and the colour is just gorgeous. Tip wear is ordinary but I'm finding that will every polish I wear. I've ordered some Gelous top coat in the hope that it may help with tip wear generally. I spend 12 hours a day on a computer so what do you do hey. As for buy again...begrudgingly unless I can find a great dupe.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2012 11:59:00 PM More reviews by jann8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This color looks great when I'm tan. Applies smoothly, but this looks better in the bottle than on the nails. The shimmer which looks so beautiful doesn't show on the nails, unfortunately. Wears well with out chipping or peeling for a week.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by marybob

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

It's Chanel and a quality product. However my disappointment arises from the lack of excitement on my nails. It looks great in the bottle but the shimmer effect barely shows when its on. Its a very deep dusty purple that almost looks black in low light. If this were a ten dollar brand I would probably be happier. Its just that I expect so much from Chanel.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2012 8:23:00 AM More reviews by silvermouse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I think the colour that this turns out to be on your nails depends on your skin tone. I've read a lot of reviews saying that it's 'muddy' but I think your skintone makes a lot of difference. I co-opted my poor husband (who is a pale, redhead) into lending me a finger for a swatch - on him, it's an unattractive muddy purple. On me (happily!), with my darker skin, it's a gorgeous rich purple with a hint of grey (maybe brown skin tones cancels out the muddiness).

In the bottle, it's an odd grey-purple with amazing purple shimmer. at arms length it appears to be a creme until you catch the light at a certain angle and you see the a very subtle flash of something deeper. The shimmer is almost invisible except in bright sunlight or very muted light. A good topcoat (I used an OPI topcoat) brings out a bit more of the shimmer.

Application is very smooth (as you'd expect from Chanel). One thick coat is almost opaque enough but there're a few gaps which a second coat eliminates. Not at all streaky. I did, however, get a few tiny bubles but only after applying the topcoat - the OPI formula is a bit thick so maybe that was it.

No chips after 1 day but we'll see what happens - I tend to be fairly abusive to my poor nails but i've found that a good topcoat keeps chips at bay and my other Chanel nail polishes usually last a few days before you see tip wear.

One lippy off for the price AUD$39 but it's a unique colour that I find flattering so I would buy it again if I ran out

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2011 9:02:00 AM More reviews by empresslilah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This looks like something really special in the bottle, but looks like mud on the nails. Based on the color in the bottle, I was expecting a semi-dark grayish purple (more purple than gray) with a duo-tone shimmery purple effect in the light. What I got was a chocolatey gray, and you need a magnifying glass to see the purple effect even in direct sunlight. What a letdown. Thankfully, I kept the receipt because this bottle is going back to Bloomingdales.