December 19, 2014 | 1679 users online

Hair - KIRKLAND SULFATE-FREE SHAMPOO

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by bsg811

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up at Costco because at 9.99 for a liter, it seemed like a small risk if it didn't work out. Happily, it's a great shampoo. The quality far surpasses much more expensive shampoos I have used. Is this a repackaged version of a name brand or a kirkland exclusive? Whatever it is, it's fantastic.
I use it almost exclusively as my shampoo (I use a clarifying shampoo every month or so). I have thick, wavy, waist-length brown hair that get frizzy when it's dry. This is an extremely moisturizing shampoo, more than HH, smooth as silk, AOHR, and any number of Jason shampoos I have tried. It's really thick and concentrated and the lather is insane for a sulfate-free formula. It's a super thick lather that is so rich it's almost hard to spread. I make sure my hair is soaked with water before working this through to make it spread easily. The fragrance is STRONG and lingers after washing. It's a powdery-oriental perfumey smell that i don't mind but I could definitely do without. It does leave a coating behind, but this works great for my hair and what makes it so gentle and moisturizing. It's not waxy or greasy, just a slick residue that my hair drinks up and is not noticeable when my hair is dry. If you often find that moisturizing hair products leave behind too much residue for you, you will not like this. If you find that all shampoos, even sulfate-free ones, leave your hair stripped, try this because it might be a moisturizing holy grail. My temperamental dry scalp likes this as well as anything else. The bottle is sturdy and the pump works perfectly.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2014 2:47:00 PM More reviews by anulikescandy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This stuff is amazing! I have damaged curly hair, from (heat) straightening, and I tried a number of products to moisturize it. I've tried salon, drugstore and all natural shampoos, but nothing's ever worked as good as this! It makes your hair very soft and silky and removed most of my frizz. It made my hair much easier to manage! The smell is awesome, and the price is affordable! I love the pump, I don't like capped shampoos- pump-shampoos are easier to use in the shower.The conditioner is amazing as well, I detangle my hair in the shower with the conditioner. This product does a great job of keeping my hair healthy while straightening it so much!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2014 7:24:00 AM More reviews by geekinpink

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this stuff and wish I could give 4.5 lippies. It cleans well and is sulphate free so doesn't irritate my scalp. The only reason to take off 1/2 a lipp is the Mastey creamy sulphate shampoo works slightly better for me- my hair has slightly more body with it. However for the price difference (less than half the price), I opt for Kirkland because it *almost* as good and its easier for me to pick this up when doing groceries. I've had a few of the pump bottles not work on me so I just swap the pump with a functioning one.
Shampoo smells nice and lathers well. My husband also likes this and doesn't find the scent too feminine. I have fine, straight hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by janeen83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm not one to use cheap shampoo. My favorite shampoo products are Wen and Kerastase. I decided to give this shampoo and conditioner a try on a whim after reading the ingredients and seeing that it's sulfate free. As with most products, I also looked it up first on makeup alley to read the reviews. After reading good reviews, I decided to give it a try. I have been using it for about 8 months and I really love this product! Especially the price! It cleans my hair well and leaves it feeling soft and bouncy. I've tried other sulfate free shampoos and I love that this lathers well. Other brands don't lather up like this one does. The bottles are big sized bottled and I love that it's a pump style packaging. I highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by dnivera

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've purchased two huge bottles of this shampoo within the past 4 years. After getting a free sample in the mail, I got hooked. This cleans my scalp without harsh detergents and leaves the hair soft and moisturized, not stripped. I've even convinced all my friends and relatives to use this shampoo, giving away small bottles when they come over.

If there's one thing I dislike about this shampoo, it's the scent. It smells like cough syrup, kind of like a Victorian medicinal blend you'd get in a pharmacy. Not foul, though, and definitely worth the results. I do rotate with a clarifying shampoo about once a month to remove build-up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by eadinsmo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

For the price, this shampoo is a fantastic find. I have thick shoulder-length hair which has been straight all my life but has recently decided to become poofier and significantly wavier. It's actually curly in the back now. Hormones, I guess?

Anyway, I don't use this shampoo exclusively because I have to use Head & Shoulders Intensive every so often to keep my scalp under control. I wash my hair maybe twice a week and use this shampoo probably 3 times out of 4.

It lasts forever and ever, for one thing. You don't have to use much, it lathers up beautifully, and makes my hair so silky I don't bother with conditioner. I do still use a leave-in conditioner if I am going to flat-iron my hair.

I find that I have to wash my hair a bit more often when I use this shampoo. My hair gets more noticeably greasy, more quickly than with other shampoos. But I guess that's because it's sulfate-free and not stripping the hair cuticle like other shampoos. I think people with finer hair, or hair more likely to get weighed down, would not like this product as much. But for me, it's peachy.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2013 12:29:00 AM More reviews by multistudygirl1994

I only rated it so high because it is a really good product-I can feel it, the formulation and texture and consistency of product is great, but; the shampoo heavy for my healthy, natural virgin hair that does not need loads of protein. I've used Pureology and love the product, but I have not tried the Nanoworks which is supposed to be the one that Kirkland is trying to mimic with this shampoo. If my hair were to be color treated or processed in any way I would definitively give this a try so they'll stay in my shower to be used occasionally when I feel my hair need a little extra protein or moisture perhaps during winter. I will state that I have dandruff and buildup issues and I hoped this would help with it as some reviewers have experienced but that wasn't m case. I have only tried shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2013 2:01:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Hands down, the single most amazing shampoo & conditioner combo I have ever used. My hair is extremely thick, coarse, color-treated, heat-styled, naturally wavy, and has a tendency to be dry. I picked this up after learning it is made by Pureology. I paid $10 for the shampoo and I believe $8 for the conditioner at Costco, both in 33.8 (1 liter) bottles with a pump top. I cannot believe the high quality of these products. The shampoo is sulfate free, and a thick, creamy peach-toned pearlescent formula. It lathers surprisingly well for a sulfate free formula, and rinses clean, leaving my hair feeling soft and silky, but not weighed down or coated. The conditioner is white and very thick, but it also rinses clean & leaves my hair feeling great. After using these, my hair was super smooth & soft, and blowdrying straight was easy (unusual for me). It also had an incredible sheen and less flyaways/static. For my coarse hair, this is borderline miraculous. After one use, it is literally like I have different hair. Over time, I'm sure this will drastically improve the condition of my hair. I do use color, so I am also excited to see how this preserves color. I will say that the fragrance is a little bit strong (reminds me of Victoria's Secret Amber), so if you're sensitive to that, it may bother you. I am fine with it. Overall, I am blown away by the high quality of these products. I believe I have finally found my HG shampoo & conditioner.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by ween1016

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have long fine hair, but I have a lot of it. This shampoo and conditioner weighed it down so badly after 2 uses that I could do nothing with it. I purposefully ony put the conditioner at the ends of my hair the second time and got the same result. I gave these to a friend in the hopes it would work for her. I wanted these to work for me, but no dice. The smell also reminded me of some sort of musky perfume from the 90s. Hard to put my finger on it, but the scent wasn't for me. Back to Aveda Brilliance shampoo and conditioner for me at almost 10x the price, but they work and smell great.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 2:51:00 AM More reviews by RayvnNA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It took me a long time to decide whether or not I liked this product. But it's just not working for me. My hair is thick, curly, and coarse. It blows out easily, tends to be a bit oily at the roots and drier at the ends. I don't tend to look for moisturizing shampoos (I use a good conditioner for that) and I want a shampoo that will leave my hair very clean feeling. This is a very mild shampoo and might be good for many hair types. However, my hair never feels clean with this stuff. I tried using a cleansing shampoo once a week (I only wash about 3 times per week) but still it felt build up during the times I used this shampoo alone. My hair gets oily and heavy very quickly with this product. I'm not buying this again. I also find the smell a little annoying.