October 24, 2014 | 2011 users online

Nails - OPI - Axxium Soak Off Gel Nail Lacquer

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 10:50:00 AM More reviews by VictoriaMama

Welp, so now I know for sure-sure I LOVE OPI gel polish. Got it done and my Pink Flamingo nails are shiny, NO chips, and the tiniest bit of tip wear on one nail. I have been deep cleaning, worked on my car, taken long baths, and not protecting my nails at all, and they look awesome. It's a bit trying to get my nails done in a salon, I don't like hving to sit still that long, lol, but SO worth it.

Any other mani would have been LONG gone by now.

Only problem? They look so nice I don't have the heart to change the color yet! :D

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2013 12:24:00 PM More reviews by darling87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got the Axxium done at a salon about 1.5 weeks ago and the polish on 5 of my nails is already peeling up from the bottom. The first time I got Axxium, they lasted a grand total of 2 days! I will not have this used on my nails at a salon again. They don't live up to the 2 week guarantee and when this happens, the salon I went to would not re-do them for free or a reduced price. Regular shellac or gellish actually last (up to) 2 weeks on my hands.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2012 9:49:00 PM More reviews by lovesmakeup525

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am assuming this is the gel manicure by OPI.

It does stay on for a few weeks. But no matter what my nails always seem to break with the polish on and I always get chips especially by the bottom of the nail where it grows.

So even though the polish stays on it looks chipped and uneven at the bottoms and sometimes at the tips too and let's not even talk about when the nail breaks

I did have acrylics right before this and my nails are definitely weaker than that, but with the Shellac gel manicure I did not experience any chipping or breaking at all. The Shellac still looks natural but feels slightly thicker/harder than the OPI, perhaps this is the reason.

OPI does have nice colors and shine though I will say that. But the Shellac did a much better job so I do not think I will get this one so fast.

Definitely OPI gel manicures will stay on better than regular polish but I notice it is very prone to chipping and breaking. Maybe it's too thin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2012 8:27:00 PM More reviews by Kwitkowski88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Awesome! Dont have to worry about my nails chipping for 2 weeks. I get compliments still by week 2. It is a little harder to get off and could damage the nail, but that's why I don't do them all the time.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2012 8:43:00 PM More reviews by BeckyJSacto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I travel all the time for work, and the concept of not having to worry about my nails at all for weeks on end was a tremendous benefit. I go for a natural look, and the Axxium product looked great and was incredibly sturdy.

Taking it off (by a professional, in a reputable salon) was a nightmare. It took close to an hour of soaking and scraping, soaking and scraping, and more soaking and scraping. Ugh. I had them redone three times over the course of two months, each time cringing at the removal process.

My nails are thrashed, as are my cuticles and fingertips by the prolonged soaking in acetone. For the first two weeks after having the Axxium product removed, regular nail polish would not adhere to my nails for more than a few hours. Moreover, my nails were rough, so even clear polish looked like crap.

I finally resorted to cutting my nails down to the quick once most of the rough areas had grown out, so I'm starting anew.

Don't do this to yourself!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2011 9:20:00 AM More reviews by JanetMichelle

To "KegC" and other with the same problem - I'm not a professional but I have been using OPI Axxium and had the same problem as you - the finished nails were sticky.
The thing you did not mentioned, and I also was not doing in the beginning, is the last probably most important step:After removing gel residue with N.A.S. 99 ( make sure the cotton ball is really soaked-in with it) - apply "Avoplex Oil & Lotion - as on the Tabletop instruction - I use massage oil and it works also.
If that does not work - also extend cure times on each step.
Hope it was helpful.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2011 2:10:00 AM More reviews by elisasalat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

wow doesn't sound good at all. i was going to try it because the gel system i just got does not have a very good selection of colors but after reading this...... i will not even go close to it. I am trying this gel system with a regular nail polish for the color part of it and if it lasts 2 weeks ... i will be happy! the pro 45 led light really works wonderful becs it only takes 45 seconds to cure!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/20/2011 9:40:00 AM More reviews by KegC

I have the OPI axxium pale pinks soak-off gel kit. I have done this 3 times now and I have the same problem. I follow these steps (fyi, i use the 45 watts UV nail dryer:
-clean,buff and shape nail
-spray nas 99 and apply bond-aid
-apply clear gel base and cure for 1 minute
-apply color gel and cure for 2 minutes
-apply more color gel and cure for 2 minutes
-apply soak-off gel sealer, cure for 3 minutes

after the last step, the nail is still very sticky and when I rub a cotton ball soaked with Nas 99, the sealer and part of the gel polish comes off! the nail is left dull and with most of the color removed.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2011 3:54:00 AM More reviews by beautygal1986

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Today is day two of my OPI axxium manicure...I painted over the clear gel since I couldn't stand the clear gel alone...but the gel itself was starting to lift up around the cuticles earlier today :( I paid waaaaay to much money for this to not stay put

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by Seeyou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Update 20 January 2012
I am still using this product BUT BUT BUT I clean them off MYSELF. Why? Because the technicians cause more harm whereas I file the surface and soak it with OPI remover. Then I scrap the lacquer slowly and carefully. This way, I can ensure that my nails are properly protected. Technicians will not spend so much time just on one customer.

UPDATE 25 October 2011 >>>>> I wish I do not have to come back here but I have to be honest. After my third time using Axium soft gel, it lasted only 4 weeks (the longest was 8 weeks). Not sure if it was the skill of the technician but I do find my nails weakening. I bought the OPI acetone nail remover (ard US$23.00) to remove the soft gel myself and my nails are now naked. It is safer to remove myself because then I will ensure that there is no grinding at all to any part of the top layer. Indeed, when all the gel was removed, I could see the nail near the edges to be torn, and thin. . Its no wonder how strong the gel could be I still think it weakens my nail. Indeed, this will caused the nail to split vertically down the centre if you are not lucky enough. I still have three more in my manicure package and I wonder if I want to use this method at all. I'm sure if I remove them myself, my nails will not be damaged if I go for another new coat. I DO ADVISE all to remove the gel yourself before visiting the nail technician for the next new coat of gel as the technician will definitely wont want to spend so much time on this just for you unless at a premium. After finishing this course, I will go back to my good old nail polish if I want to brighten up my nails again.

============
9/21/2011 11:30:00 PM
I have read through all the negative messages posted in this page and I wonder if there is something very wrong with me because my experience after doing it three times is totally different from most of you. Is it really that bad?.

I have never done manicure in the salon except the occasional ones I did for fun DIY style using OPI products (at home). Somehow, they never last. They peel and chipped so easily and removal needs to be done to avoid sloppiness. So, that's why it puts me off to work on my nails so regularly until my colleague went to the salon to have OPI soak off gel. I jumped on the wagon and I really like it alot. Unlike what I read from your reviews, it is a totally different experience. It never chipped, split, tear horizontally or vertically. In fact it had strengthened my nail so much. The gel stayed for 2 months w/o splitting or chipping and I am constantly doing housework and tapping on the keyboard. Without this layer of gel, I dont think I could grow the nails for two long months. They never break. I am just cautious that the nail does not get ripped off by accident. This might give you the impression that I am so sloppy with my nails but I do not wish to go to the salon because I would like to drag so that I wont be washing off every two weeks. I am very comfortable with one color for such a long period. I used very light / pale / transparent colors and so it does not make it so ugly or obvious that new nail had grown at the base. The removal part can be seen as very drastic but according to the nail technician, they need to damage the surface of the gel with a grinder (??) or electric buffer (??) in order to be more effective in the soaking off process. Then they placed soaked acetone on each nail and wrapped with tin foil. They did use a stainless steel orange stick to remove the closest layer to my nail. Thereafter, they had to sand / buff the surface of the nail. I was asked not to touch the surface after buffing / sanding. It does not become shining smooth because they need the 'rough' layer to allow the gel to hold more effectively (I suppose). Someone suggested to me that I could damage the surface by sanding / buffing and then soak in the OPI acetone b4 going to the salon to have the nails painted. This will cause less damage as (almost all) the technicians in HK salons use grinder (??) to break the gel surface. It is impossible to expect the technician to spend 3 hours per client and nobody is willing to pay that exhobitant amount per visit.

Anyway, I had done the Axxium gel three times now and I have no complaint at all. If eventually I wanted to stop and leave my nails naked, then I have yet to find out how ugly my nails would become. At this point, I do not have value to add on naked nails.

At this very moment, it is not as h*ll as the way most of you describe. If I am experiencing the same, I will come here to update again.
H.A.N.D. !!

DISCLAIMER:
I do not represent OPI nor am I in the nail / beauty business. I am just someone who is very careful with my spending on such nail treatment.