Comme des Garcons Incense Series Avignon

4.1

on 6/14/2015 11:31:00 PM

LOVE it! My signature perfume and get compliments all the time. I like the others in the series, but this is by far my fave. Would love to see it in a body lotion and candle as well.

on 3/3/2015 8:42:00 AM

I'm a Greek Orthodox and though not a Church goer at all I can tell this fragrance doesn't smell like a church. It's clean, crispy inscence as in aromatherapy and not resinous church inscense plus beeswax candles as in church smell. I was looking for a dark and solemn fragrance to touch my inner Goth but this is definitely not the one. Plus there's no staying power on me. I get the impression this is an oversimplified, unsophisticated super diluted version of Etro's Messe de Minuit.

on 2/24/2015 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Avignon is my favorite by far of my four CdG Incenses (Series #3) -- and I own 4 of the 5 in this series: 1. Avignon (delicious & mild, slightly sweet), 2. Zagorsk (deep foresty, piney & wood-smokey), 3. Ouarzazate (more warmly woody than incense-y IMHO), Kyoto (*very* cedary). I never bought Jaisalmer (dry & sort of herby-woody IIRC). I like them all -- in the order listed. Avignon is the only one I would consider repurchasing, but only because it's the most public-friendly.

Honestly, I'm not Catholic, never been to a mass, and I can't compare Avignon to any church scents -- I only know that I love it. I can vouch that this does NOT smell like Satya Sai Baba's Nag Champa incense (that famous one in the blue-&-white packaging), which was so strong, I couldn't tolerate it -- that one kind of turned my stomach, actually.

Here are the notes for Avignon, per parfumo.net:
Elemi resin, Labdanum, Rosewood, Patchouli, Roman chamomile, Vanilla, Frankincense

I've had my CdG incenses since approximately 2005 and I love them, but I hardly use them any more -- I keep them among my "special" scents that I don't want to deplete.

They're all named after actual towns, apparently -- and Avignon is a town in France (Zagorsk is in Russia, Ouarzazate is in Morocco, Kyoto is in Japan, Jaisalmer is in India??) -- so each incense scent reflects the scents in the churches & temples of the locale they're named after.

Avignon is really a nice mellow friendly all-around good incense perfume -- less exotic than the others, perhaps -- pretty and well-blended -- it's not too strong, sharp, biting, or resiny -- I find it fairly easy to wear -- and I never mix it.

I read many years ago that Sarah Jessica Parker used a 3-scent layering combo: CdG Avignon layered with a musk from a NYC street vendor (Abdul Kareem Egyptian Musk? -- or was that Carolyn Bessette's sig?) plus Bonne Bell Skin Musk. That was before SJP launched Lovely. I tried SJP's 3-way combo once & wasn't that crazy about it -- prefer to wear each of these scents on their own. I'm never one for layering perfumes anyway.

I tend to not wear my four CdG Incenses very much any more, simply because I don't want to run out. The bottles are solid black, which protects the scents from light damage, but I can't see how much I have left, and they were expensive -- so these are among my perfumes that I use sparingly. I treasure them all. Beautiful!

on 1/18/2015 2:54:00 AM

As per olfactory obsessed.com, notes are: chamomile, cistus oil, else I, incense, vanilla, patchouli, pal islander, ambrette.

Famously worn by morrissey, the lyricist of the Smiths.

Avignon came across my radar when I read about it in Chandler Burrs book re the making of Sarah Jessica Parker's fragrance Lovely.

It is wonderful, citrus, smokey, resinous wood that is versatile and church evocative. Not sweet. And as per SJP's suggestion, I do layer it.

With SL Ambre sultan and with SL La Myrrhe. With MKK. With Bois et al. My next mix will be with. Jeau de Peaux which hopefully will be a way for me to wear JdP.

With Shalimar vintage EdC which is a less powdery, less full oriental than modern Shalimar.

on 11/6/2014 8:25:00 AM

The go-to scent for when I drink red wine in the dark while Sisters of Mercy plays in the background. Amazing. One lippie off because I can't get it from any domestic retailer, online or brick-and-mortar, and luckyscent's shipping fee is forty freaking dollars.

on 9/10/2014 11:41:00 PM

There is a god and his name is Bertrand Duchaufour.

Avignon is just that incredible. I have been looking everywhere, so long, for my holy grail, and it turns out this is the one. (There is ONLY one.)

It's liquid Mass but WAY less expensive than going to church, and the guilt from spending so much money on a fragrance is absolved with just a few Hail Marys!

Catholicism is great at showmanship and I wish the package for Avignon reflected that in the form of a tongue-in-cheek reliquary or something, would enhance the perfume ritual, but then it would probably be more expensive to manufacture and the package serves its purpose, so whatevs. Maybe a limited edition bottle would be cool. Bring on the Catholic gilt!

Anyway, it is gorgeous smoky wonderful perfection. Luckyscent and Surrender to Chance both have samples online and it's at least worth trying once if you like incense fragrances.

on 7/27/2014 11:08:00 AM

Spicy pencil shavings. But, like...really *fancy* pencils.

on 5/31/2014 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Avignon strikes me as predominantly piney-resinous with an ethereal whisper of camomile. It captures some of that stone/earth chilliness that Messe de Minuit is so famous for but without being so relentlessly dank and mouldy. The pine aspect is quite dominate to my nose and brings to mind the dark green branches of evergreens swaying in a cool mountain breeze. The church insence accords give it an unavoidable gothic undertone, but there is a lightness (camomile, some other floral?) that prevents it from becoming too bleak.

on 2/21/2014 6:14:00 PM

I think the word that usually comes up with this fragrance is "chilly," and if you've visited old stone cathedrals, it might indeed make you think about the feeling of your feet on a cold stone floor, huge vaulted ceilings, muted light streaming through old stained glass windows, and probably a bank of candles or two flickering in the corners in front of a saint's statue--which is to say that it is a very churchy incense--or maybe medieval would be a better term. If people feel a strange urge to drop to their knees and worship when I waft into smelling distance, that's fine with me! There's some wood there, but nothing like you smell in CDG's Kyoto (or Parfums d'Empire's Wazamba, which is the same church after being given a really good scrub with pine cleanser--I love it, but there it is). I also like the opaque bottle; if only all scents were sold like this, I wouldn't have to devote an ever-growing amount of drawer space to the project of shielding them from light. Not glamorous packaging by any means, but unlike most perfume bottles, it's very functional. Lasts a day on clothing, about 5 hours on skin.

on 11/5/2013 6:03:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am so disappointed in this fragrance. I am a huge fan of incense and church smells but this one gives me a blinding headache. It is FULL ON dark, damp, pungent rottenness. I just can't describe it in any other way, sadly. It smells to me of darkness and death, and certainly not the Holy fragrant incense you'd find in church. This one just has no complexity, no sophistication, no middle notes or base notes, its just an incredibly clumsy *slap you in the face* pungent incense that feels more like a violation than a perfume.
It *allegedly* has notes of chamomile, vanilla, patchouli rosewood and ambrette but I cannot distinguish any of those, even after the dry down.
I really dont know why anyone would want to smell like this fragrance, its not comforting, nor ethereal, nor does it ascend my senses to the realms of heaven as incense should.
Apologies to those who enjoy this fragrance, it clearly does not blend well with my body chemistry if it creates a monstrosity such as this. Urgh.

Popular Fragrances