August 28, 2014 | 1467 users online

Fragrances - Comme des Garcons - Incense Series Avignon

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 11:08:00 AM More reviews by ghoulnextdoor

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Spicy pencil shavings. But, like...really *fancy* pencils.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2014 8:39:00 PM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Avignon strikes me as predominantly piney-resinous with an ethereal whisper of camomile. It captures some of that stone/earth chilliness that Messe de Minuit is so famous for but without being so relentlessly dank and mouldy. The pine aspect is quite dominate to my nose and brings to mind the dark green branches of evergreens swaying in a cool mountain breeze. The church insence accords give it an unavoidable gothic undertone, but there is a lightness (camomile, some other floral?) that prevents it from becoming too bleak.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2014 6:14:00 PM More reviews by kjknees

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I think the word that usually comes up with this fragrance is "chilly," and if you've visited old stone cathedrals, it might indeed make you think about the feeling of your feet on a cold stone floor, huge vaulted ceilings, muted light streaming through old stained glass windows, and probably a bank of candles or two flickering in the corners in front of a saint's statue--which is to say that it is a very churchy incense--or maybe medieval would be a better term. If people feel a strange urge to drop to their knees and worship when I waft into smelling distance, that's fine with me! There's some wood there, but nothing like you smell in CDG's Kyoto (or Parfums d'Empire's Wazamba, which is the same church after being given a really good scrub with pine cleanser--I love it, but there it is). I also like the opaque bottle; if only all scents were sold like this, I wouldn't have to devote an ever-growing amount of drawer space to the project of shielding them from light. Not glamorous packaging by any means, but unlike most perfume bottles, it's very functional. Lasts a day on clothing, about 5 hours on skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 6:03:00 AM More reviews by Moonchitaa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am so disappointed in this fragrance. I am a huge fan of incense and church smells but this one gives me a blinding headache. It is FULL ON dark, damp, pungent rottenness. I just can't describe it in any other way, sadly. It smells to me of darkness and death, and certainly not the Holy fragrant incense you'd find in church. This one just has no complexity, no sophistication, no middle notes or base notes, its just an incredibly clumsy *slap you in the face* pungent incense that feels more like a violation than a perfume.
It *allegedly* has notes of chamomile, vanilla, patchouli rosewood and ambrette but I cannot distinguish any of those, even after the dry down.
I really dont know why anyone would want to smell like this fragrance, its not comforting, nor ethereal, nor does it ascend my senses to the realms of heaven as incense should.
Apologies to those who enjoy this fragrance, it clearly does not blend well with my body chemistry if it creates a monstrosity such as this. Urgh.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 7:29:00 PM More reviews by JaneWayne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Hoooo, boy. I can't decide what I should say. I am not great at picking apart notes, but I guess I am ok at conjuring up visuals. Years ago I went to Paris, and stepped into the Notre Dame Cathedral, hoping I wouldn't burst into flames. I was immediately humbled by the serene atmosphere...not too bright, perfectly candlelit. Beautiful scenery...dark benches, and a comfortable silence that I will never forget. And of course, incense. Oh, the incense. This scent takes me to that moment.

It smells like the goth boy I never met at the goth club years ago. The ones I met always smelled like pizza.

Also, let's talk about Morrissey. I crushed on him for YEARS, and it excites me even more that he smelled like this. Just sayin'

I have not been to catholic mass, I am not familiar with a lot of incense fragrances, I just know that I like them. Less is more with this as it comes in like a lion. I guess I can pick up Frankincense? Am I right?

I am kinda mad that cooler weather is wrapping up because I want to wear it longer than I have!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2013 2:23:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Avignon definitely lives up to the hype; I just canít get enough of this fragrance! Several fantastic reviews have already described Avignon, so I really do not have much to add except that Avignon=man trap. Yes, thatís right; Iíve been wearing it every day for about a week now and I have received more compliments per (arbitrary) unit of time than with Hypnotic Poison and Angel. Iíve already given away two decants. This stuff is a drug!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2011 2:12:00 AM More reviews by babsvs

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had to go back and edit this review after realizing that I was completely wrong about Avignon. After finishing most of my decant, I realize that this is a stunning, complex scent, and I plan to buy a full bottle. It is more intense and less woody than Bois d'Encens, and to my nose more focused than Cardinal or Jubilation XXV. I would happily wear any of the scents mentioned, but for that Catholic Mass feeling, Avignon is the HG.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Fyankevich

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm obsessed with the smell of incense, and while researching different incense scents, I read that Morrissey wears Avignon and I was instantly sold on the idea of trying this fragrance. I'd say this definitely leans towards a cool, masculine vibe, but I find it to be really clean, cold, and intoxicating. This isn't warm, stoned hippie Nag Champa incense, this is incense floating around an empty church mingled with the scent of burning candles and waxed pews in the background. When this fragrance mixes with the cold air, it makes me feel dizzy with longing and happiness. It gives me that free feeling that I get when the windows are rolled down, and I'm driving through the mountains. This is perfect for the spooky, melancholy months of Autumn. If I smelled this scent on a man, it would completely blow my mind. Watch out, Morrissey!
The only down side to this fragrance is the price, Ouch. I ordered a small bottle on the Perfumed court for a reasonable rate, but I don't think I'd ever fork out a wad of cash for the large size.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2010 5:19:00 AM More reviews by lalki1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have to say i don't know how a catholic church smells. Avignon smells to me like being lost at night in a dark dense winter forest with wolfes houling in the distance - frightening. althogh it's not a bad scent, no person should smell like this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2010 3:20:00 PM More reviews by brookebaird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This month I have found some old favorites that I wanted to revisit. Lately, I have been on an incence kick and CdC does this better than most. Avignon takes me back to my 3 weeks in Spain where I went into a different cathedral each day. It opens with a strong francincense note. It has a bold, almost religious opening - similar to the feeling I get when I spritz Armani Bois d'Encens (at a much beter price). It's like being in a old gothic cathedral where you smell rising damp as well as smokiness.
As it settles, I smell a smoky incense, something resinous, and a bit of bitter pine/herb. It's beautifully crafted and lacks any sweeteness on my skin. While it's not my favorite of the series, it is really well crafted.
This is a great layering scent. If you use a shower gel that is slightly sweet, powdery, or has a light musk, this is a fabulous combination which feminizes the fragrance which is incredibly unisex on it's own. Try layering it with Serge Lutens Clair de musc - gorgeous!