October 30, 2014 | 1595 users online

Crème - Maybelline - Dream Smooth Mousse

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2010 9:06:00 PM More reviews by ilurvemakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 8/27/10: Have stopped using this and gone back to my MAC F&B Foundation - no more breakouts! Returned this product today and will definitely miss it :(

UPDATE 8/22/10: I realized this foundation started breaking me out slowly! This and the mousse concealer caused a massive breakout on my entire face the more I used them :'( It is such a shame because I loved both products! Changed my rating from 4 to 2 because the breakout that creeped up on me slowly was so unexpected that I now need to go foundation free till my breakouts heal themselves.

Ever since my skin type changed this year, it has been hard to try out newer foundations. Before summer my skin went from dry, flaky, combination to now normal. I still get slight oily t-zone, but not as much as I used to. So I've been sticking to MAC Face & Body Foundation a lot. While I love F&B, I heard about the Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse and wanted to give it a try. Reading from all the mixed reviews I decided to give it a shot since my skin is neither oily nor dry.

I have to say, out of all the drugstore foundations I've tried over the years this is my favorite! I've reviewed other ds foundations that I've liked a lot, but this one I was in awe! When the product touched my skin, it felt like heaven! I have NEVER felt foundation with this type of 'cooling' feeling to it. It felt great to apply that I have at times applied too much... but it didn't cake on at all during the over kill! AHH-MAZING!!! It didn't settle into my smile lines nor did it make my huge pores look bigger. While it did cover quiet well, I noticed it didn't cover dark acne scars (even after caking it on with my finger alone or a finer concealer brush). I was a little disappointed about that and was hoping I could skip concealer all together for my under eyes and dark spots. It's easy for any foundation to cover redness and broken capillaries.

I use either MAC 187/188 and Everyday Minerals Flat Top Kabuki brushes. I prefer the MAC brushes since I manage to pack too much on using a flat top. You only need to tap your brush ever so lightly, press any harder you better prepare yourself to buff and blend! The texture feels creamy and to me finishes to a powder-like consistency on the skin. I don't have perfect skin at all due to changes in my skin care regime, diet and medicine, but this foundation still manages to make me look natural without looking over done - which I love! I've worn this foundation out in the humidity and have only had to blot once on my nose, but nowhere else. It doesn't have a flat matte finish (even with powder on top), it's a nice natural glow imo.

The product doesn't have an obnoxious scent like most ds foundations tend to have. You do get a small amount, but you only need so little it should last awhile (unless you use it daily - which I don't). When I say little, I mean TINY, you'd have to see for yourself to know what I (and many others) mean by this. I don't like the packaging, but maybe that's because I've been accustomed to pouring out my foundation as opposed to tapping it from the container. I'd scoop it out with a spatula, but I'll most likely end up with too much product. I haven't used the sponge and doubt I will since I have my own sponges that I prefer and love. The one great thing about the packaging of this product is that it is sealed with a wrap on the entire opening. I hate ds products that are not sealed and wrapped due to annoying shoppers who dip and test new and unused products. So this was a MAJOR PLUS and I felt safer knowing no one fiddled with my purchase before hand!

My CVS didn't have testers so I went with 240 Natural Beige (I'm a NC30 in MAC) and it seems to match. At first I thought the product oxidized, but for some reason I look orange with this foundation under certain fluorescent lights in our house. Outside in natural sunlight it matched me just fine. I even did some transfer tests with and without powder on top, very little transfer for me. Even after 6 hours of wear outside in the hot humid weather the product didn't slide off my face. Before removing it at the end of the day, I examined my face in a magnified mirror and my skin still looked the same as when I first applied the foundation. Even the MAC F&B tends to look different at the end of the day after a long day out in the hot humidity.

Overall, I am VERY VERY VERY HAPPY with this foundation! Not too sure how I would of liked it in the past when I was an oily skinned gal, but for my current normal skin it's GREAT! CVS has a great return (open/unopened) policy as well, for those who can't find it anywhere (like myself) but CVS.

Below is a sample picture of what it looks like on me. This is one very thin (more natural) layer using a MAC 188 brush stipple (tapping) motion, no swirl. As you can see, it does not cover my dark spot completely, but sort of blurs it for my concealer. The foundation is very buildable, but I prefer to go light and natural with foundations nowadays. You also don't feel this foundation on your skin (so light I forget I even have it on lol) which is very rare for ds foundations.

*I forgot to note that this has not broken me out to date. I will update if it does :)*

continued >>

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2011 6:52:00 PM More reviews by AutumnDiamond

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best foundation I've used (I only use drugstore foundations and have tried the other Maybelline ones like dream mousse + liquid, superstay and found them meh). Luckily I read the other reviews here first and went a few shades higher and got creamy ivory. It matches me almost perfectly which is the first time that's ever happened! I'm half asian so everything is either too pink or yellow. My skin is mostly normal and occasionally dry and this product is great, it doesn't show flakes or turn orange. It does an amazing job of minimising my pores (which I'm insecure of and are noticeable), evens out my skin tone and hides my acne scars. Being light to medium coverage, it looks natural (I haven't tried piling it on yet though) and still leaves a hint of redness on my nose and cheekbones but I like that - it doesn't make me look fake. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to applying makeup (I only wear foundation without primer, eyeliner, sometimes lipstick and mascara ) so I just use the crappy sponge it comes with but it looks fine on me if I buff enough and use a small amount. It spreads very well so a little is all you need.

The packaging is annoying because it has no mirror. The lid screws on so it won't open in your purse. The size can be misleading as the glass container is the part the holds the product, the coloured plastic is the compartment that screws off and holds the sponge.

Overall, would definitely purchase again (it's around 30 - 35 NZD) for its colour match, natural look, quick application and price.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it DOESN'T settle into my smile lines! I'm nineteen and have had noticeable smile lines aound my mouth since I was 15 that looked horrible with most foundations. The Dream Matte Mousse among others made me look really old and I was 16 - 17 when I used that. I actually would try smile a lot less when wearing makeup AND being barefaced but now I've discovered this and I'm not insecure anymore! it hides them and my pores while still looking lighter than it really is. Just for that, I'm changing this from a 4 to a 5.

:D ← me.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2010 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Sassybanjo

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I think there are some reviewers that are confused and don't realize they didn't buy the Dream Smooth Mousse Foundation, but the Dream Mousse Foundation. The Smooth part in the name is very important, because it's a completely different product.

I LOVE the "SMOOTH" foundation! I've never tried the Dream Mousse formula and don't plan to. I also love the Dream Mousse concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by ddawbb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am about finished with my first compact of this foundation.
I absolutely love it. It has good coverage, doesn't make my face cakey, and does not build up on my laugh lines or under my eyes. I can wear it light or build up on the coverage if need be.
I like to set it with the maybelline mineral foundation which works well together! It lasts all day long and does not run. I am pretty pleased with the maybelline foundation so far.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/11/2011 5:55:00 PM More reviews by selena08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It gives a medium coverage. I cant really say much about this product. I dont hate it nor do I love it. You will have to set this foundation with a setting powder. I wear the color Nude Beige-180. It is a bit pink on me. I am the color yellow and fair. Because I am asian it is hard for me to find a drugstore foundation that matches my skintone. I got it for 40% off, so I guess its really not that bad.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2010 2:09:00 AM More reviews by HotSouthernDiva

I have been using Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse Ultra- Hydrating Foundation for two months. From the very first application, it went on so incredibly smooth. I used two colors Caramel for contouring and Honey Beige as the foundation. It is a unique creamy whipped foundation. It endured my hectic schedule and lasted all day with just spot touch-ups of powder. This foundation has 14 hour hydration It felt light, no creasing in my problem area around my eyes and the sides of my mouth. I still have normal to oil skin, and it was still light and hydrating. Maybelline outdid themselves with this foundation. It comes in 10 shades. My hope is that they will expand there color range. It is definitely my new holy grail foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2013 9:29:00 AM More reviews by guinnrm

I started using this cream foundation after I developed an allergy to my beloved mineral foundation. I couldn't stand going back to liquid foundation, and this is a necessary compromise (with oily, acne-prone skin, I really need foundation). I've been using this for about a month.

The coverage is excellent! My only complaint is that even the lightest shade is almost too dark for me, and since the coverage is so good, I have to be careful how much I apply. It does give me what I call "clammy face", and I really need a finishing powder to reduce shine with this. There is noticeable settling into fine lines after applying, but I smooth them out after it settles and I haven't noticed them re-settling throughout the day (this goes back to being careful of how much you apply).

The packaging is great for a drugstore brand. It is a bit annoying at first to unscrew the top to get to the foundation, and having the applicator in the top compartment--but after a few days, I really got to liking this packaging. It's great to just throw in your bag, no worries about spills or leaks. Not sure how I feel about using a sponge to apply (health-wise), but I do appreciate how the triangular shape makes it fairly easy to apply and blend.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2013 10:24:00 AM More reviews by Catsmeow2324

My all time favorite foundation! This gives build able coverage and a natural finish. It lasts all day and I get so many compliments when I wear this . This is better than the nars radiant cream foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2012 12:52:00 AM More reviews by jennidean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My new favorite foundation... Excellent coverage and easy to blend. I don't want to be without this... Strongly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2010 2:46:00 PM More reviews by curlylashes91

I've been using this foundation for about two weeks and I LOVE it! I got the color 240 natural beige, and it matches me pretty close, (I'm around a NC30 in the summer). IMO this is a cheaper dupe for Urban Decays Surreal skin cream to powder foundation. I have both, and they both work the same. I love both. I apply this with either a flat top brush or a stippling brush and achieve perfect results. I than use maybellines dream matte powder to set it and at the end of everything I use my model in a bottle setting spray. My makeup stays on all day. My skin is a tad on the dry side and with this it doesn't feel dry at all.