September 2, 2014 | 1621 users online

Lipstick - Illamasqua - Underworld (iridescent)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2014 12:20:00 AM More reviews by sultryvoice

First of all, I absolutely love this colour. This is a shade for which I have yet to find a dupe, so I do treasure it. I describe this as an iridescent blue-based violet and it is gorgeous. The only downside is the very matte texture which can only be described as desert dry. Each time I apply from the tube, I am sure that the bullet will break because I really have to drag it across my lips. In order to remedy this issue, I just apply a gloss in the same shade family on top of the lipstick. Illamasqua matte lipsticks are hardcore. If you are not a matte lover, then this brand may not be for you as many of their lipsticks are very matte. I love the matte look, so I will always be a fan.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2014 7:10:00 PM More reviews by JulesLondon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Something like 15 years ago, when Urban Decay was making lipstick colors nobody else would, in little metal bullet-shaped cases, they had a gorgeous shade called Asphyxia which I absolutely adored. Asphyxia lives on as an eyeshadow shade, but the lipsticks are long gone and I was never able to find that colour anywhere...until now. Underworld is almost identical. And for that alone, this product would get five stars, but the consistency and texture ruins it. This stuff is DRY. You really have to dig in and drag it across your lips. I thought perhaps I just got an old one, because the tester in Sephora seemed alright when I swatched it on a tissue, but I see other people have the same complaint. I kind of want to mash this up with Vaseline or something so that it's not so damn uncomfortable to wear. Argh. And I love the colour so much! Why do they have to make it so unpleasant-feeling? For the price, I don't want to feel like I'm using a four-year-old lipstick.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by NS10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I hate to give a bad review for Illamasqua as I love every one of their previous products that I have tried however this lipstick is totally different to the others. I already knew it was going to be sheer and dry so that didn't really bother me, it's actually the way it looks on the lips! It's horrible and cheap, and for some reason it also makes my skin look really bad as it emphasizes every flaw. Sadly to say I can't return this product as I live in the UK but if I could it would be right back to the store.

EDIT: After trying a few different combinations with this lipstick, I've figured it looks best paired up with MAC's Nightmoth/Currant lipliner, it creates a lovely dark lip with a purple and blue sheen, definitely try it out if you're struggling to work with this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2012 9:34:00 PM More reviews by BelleFemme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i was looking for a nice iridescent purple and this fit the bill. As others said, it is a bit drying and it also makes my teeth look super yellow when i wear it. lol. However, it is beautiful. I would suggest trying it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 9:01:00 PM More reviews by lilinah

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Illamasqua says this lipstick is "iridescent blueberry violet, shimmer finish", but that does not really describe this color. It is a matte-ish medium purple with a blue duochrome.
When i first saw this i was afraid it would be way too bright for me - it looked very fuchsia - but i just could not resist that blue duochrome. It turns out that because it is somewhat matte, the base color is not too bright. And the iridescence is not the cheesy sheen of 80s drug store lipsticks, but something a bt more sophisticated.
Illasmaqua lipsticks has a very slight vanilla scent but no flavor, thankfully.
Illamasqua lipsticks are a bit dry - that is, they are not moisturizing. But i do not find them actually drying. They last quite a long time, and through drinking cold beverages, but salad dressing or hot foods will do a bit of removal.
If you want more moisture, or a glossy look, Illamasqua Intense Lip Gloss in Boost is practically the same color as Underworld and has the blue iridescence too. They are a perfect pair.
If you like hot pink, fuchsia or magenta lipsticks and are not afraid of that blue duochrome, you'll probably like this. And if you like lipsticks that lean blue, as i do, you probably will, as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2012 12:57:00 AM More reviews by Izzybelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What an amazing lipstick from Illamasqua. Searching for a lavender lipstick, i jumped ship to violet shades after this was put on me. I can't see how this shade could look bad on any skin tone.
However this lipstick takes a few applications to get an even coverage. It was a dry texture but is not really a matte lipstick.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2011 12:37:00 AM More reviews by beautybesties

I love having a few quality products that are a bit out of the ordinary. This is that item for me. I think the color is really cool and different but not so bizarre that I can't actually wear it. Makes my eyes and skin glow. Never had an issue with any Illamasqua products, just keep wanting more and more!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2011 7:06:00 PM More reviews by girrl65

I was expecting this to be really purple and intense. I swapped for this and I was not that impressed. It is just like UD Asphyxia but in lipstick form. It is sheer bright pink with a lavender duochrome. It is quite sheer. I think this would be on par with MAC's lustre formula....not a formula I like. This is not edgy or badass. If you think it is, you obviously haven't used many colors outside of pink and red. This is a very easy lipstick. I could see myself using it every day. I think it is more of a daytime shade. It lacks the punch for nighttime use.
I'd like to try other Illamasque lipsticks, but I would not buy (or swap for) this one again.

EDIT: I just wanted to add how DRYING this is. It is not like MUFE, where the lipstick dries on the lips. No, no.... this drys OUT the lips. My lips were all flaky. Not to mention that I had to keep going over the same spot with the lipstick because this stuff just doesn't have that great of a formula. It doesn't like to go on even.

Cool color, horrible formula.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2010 9:20:00 PM More reviews by curemyson

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I saw this color in Sephora, I immediately had an 80's flashback to Stagelight Cosmetics Blue Roses color. For those of you old enough to remember that color you will understand how I fell in love! It was the greatest purple-ly violet-ity blue-y color, this is very close, this is less blue more violet and pinky, very pretty. But it looks better in the tube, it is not very pigmented as I thought it would be and yes, it's dry, not so much drying but just dry application, like I had to press hard and it was still kind of sheer. I still have to play with it, maybe with a few liners which I don't usually use but it's definitely worth looking into. I said I wouldn't buy it again but I'm not sure that I mean that. If there was a maybe, I would have chose that