July 30, 2014 | 1332 users online

Top/Base Coats - Rimmel - Lasting Finish Pro Base & Top Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2013 7:05:00 PM More reviews by chellio

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this when it was on sale at Walgreens last week. I used it as a top and bottom coat with nail polish from Forever 21, and although my manicure looked awesome and professional, it NEVER dried. Seriously, it took like 24 hours for it to stop denting and stuff. By the next day, I had marks from my sheets pressed into the finish, and my nails weren't shiny anymore.

I just took off my polish, and in addition to it being super hard to get off, my nails seem to be peeling (??). I've never had this happen before, and I'm pretty put off.

Needless to say, I will not be repurchasing this garbage.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2013 12:50:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

Tried applying it over Forever21 nail polish and it dragged off the entire end of my pinky nail. There is only nail showing with a top coat. The only good thing I can say about this stuff is that the bristles are wide & flat. I won't be using this any time soon. I've heard good things about NYC Minute Quick Dry Top Coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2013 10:37:00 AM More reviews by myrodeway

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this product as a set for about $6 at Riteaid. It came with a bottle of dual use top/base coat and a bottle of polish, the color which I later decided not to use. The top/base coat brush is the most efficient I've ever used. Its shape allows for virtually a one-stroke per nail application. If you apply one thin coat and allow to dry 5-10 minutes between coats, you should have no problem with it smudging later. I used two coats of base followed by two coats of 99 cent polish, followed by two more coats of base. I'm on day 5 of absolutely no signs of chipping or wear. So for the top/base polish, I would give this a solid 5 as it's supporting my cheap polish remarkably well.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by lalaladylauren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I really want to like this product. Rimmel London is one of the few cosmetic brands carried in most drugstores/big box stores that doesn't do animal testing- a definite plus in my book. I'm also a fan of quirky packaging details, so I liked the little crown on top of the applicator. And as other reviewers have mentioned, the brush is flat and wide, resulting in a smooth application.

A common complaint about this product is that it results in peeling nails. My nails are relatively weak to begin with, so I'm not 100% sure if this product has made it worse, or if I'm only convinced that it's worse because other reviewers have pointed this out. Still, I probably won't repurchase.

My quest for a high quality, affordable (I'm talking under $10 here, $5 or under would be ideal) base/top coat continues!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by wendycoco

Took forever to dry and does not last up to ten days like bottle says. Didn't work for me but may for others I guess. But I'd say actually invest some money in a good top coat. It will probably save you money in the long run anyways

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2012 4:45:00 PM More reviews by mochaholic

My sister owns this base/top coat, so I'm glad I didn't spend money on it. I used this recently when I did my nails with her and it is awful as both a base and top coat for me. I don't think I have ever experienced peeling on my nails before but this did it. It looks like either a thin layer is partially peeled off or it left a layer of something that won't come off (if that makes any sense). As a top coat, it took FOREVER to dry. I didn't have the patience to wait for my polish to dry before applying this as top coat, but 6 hrs after I applied this I went to sleep and woke up with marks and imprints on all my nails...ugh! The finish of this is a bit dull and not very shiny. The one good thing abt this, is it does prevent staining as a base coat (my sister has used this for months as a base and she's had no staining/yellowing), so if you don't have problems with peely nails, then this might be worth a try since it is fairly inexpensive compared to other base coats.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2012 2:55:00 PM More reviews by JanaFae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this Base & Top Coat for some time now as a base when I polish my nails (I've been using Sally Hansen Dries Instantly Top Coat over everything), and I'm fairly ambivalent about it. It does a good job as a base coat, but if I have it on alone for a while, it tends to peel a bit, which I'm not pleased with. I'm hoping in the future to get Butter LONDON's Nail Foundation as a base coat, or something similar, as I've heard better things about that. For the moment, my wallet is rebelling against that hope lol :)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2012 6:57:00 PM More reviews by miranda99111

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I finally found out why and how the tips of my nails would always peel! It was because of this product! It works well as a base coat because it dries fast and makes my nail polish go on pretty smoothly. However, once my nail polish chips off, I can see that the tips of my nails peeled and peeled in layers. As a top coat, I only used it once and trust me, after a while, my nail polish starts to bubble. Not a pretty sight. I definitely will not be re-purchasing it. After I stopped using this Rimmel London base coat top coat pro, my nails do NOT peel. Yay! :)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/7/2012 4:15:00 AM More reviews by MysteryButterfly

Pros: 1.bottle is pretty 2. dries fast 3.i got it for free at walgreens when they were selling 2 nail polish for the price of one. it was bundled up with a colored nail polish from the same line 4. really nice brush, probably the best brush ive used. love it<3 5. as a base it keeps my nails from staining When i use dark polishes Cons: 1. the formula is bad. never get a 2-in-1 base and top coat. they should be separate. 2. it is not shiny enough to be a top coat. i havent tried it over another polish but i have tried one coat of this as a base and on its own 3. as a base when the polish chips it peels off part of your nail. the center of my nail beds was peeling. 4. doesnt hold up to its 10 day claim by the 7th day my nails would be chipped to the point that i wanna change my polish. my nails would chip around day 3-5 w/ this as base conclusion: i stopped using it as a base because of the peeling. i might use it as a top coat for rhinestones. i wont repurchase if i have to pay but if it comes free ill take it

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Lomelindi

PROS: This is great protection for any nail color (I tend to use it on top) and definitely keeps chipping at bay for longer. Also, Rimmel's polishes with the square containers are fabulous because they have a super wide brush, which makes the application quick and easy. I only need 2 strokes to cover larger nails, one for smaller ones (like my pinky).

CONS: This stuff takes FOREVER to dry. It might even take longer than the actual colored polishes themselves, which complicates matters because I am always poking and proding at things without meaning to. I've ruined a few nail jobs by not waiting long enough for this top coat to dry.

Also, I think most of my polishes (mainly Essie and OPI) do not apply well over this product if it's used as a base coat, so I don't use it that way very often. Overall, I'll give it 3 lippies for being a good top coat and having a nice brush, but taking away 2 because of the absurd drying time and the fact that it's not very good as a base coat.