October 24, 2014 | 1620 users online

Eyeliner - Bobbi Brown - Denim Ink Long-wear Gel Eyeliner

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2014 2:51:00 PM More reviews by Cheungc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I really didn't need another eyeliner, but am a dark blue fiend and couldn't help but linger at the promotional pictures of the new Bobbi Brown eyeliners with Sapphire (back in pencil-format). I am perpetually on a holy grail search for the "perfect" shiny navy blue...

The colour of the Sapphire pencil was disappointing as it looked like a dull dark grey when swatched, but the sales assistant noticed my Chanel Blue Satin nail polish and suggested I tried on the Long Wear Eyeliner pot in Denim Ink instead. I already have the Twilight Shimmer Ink (now discontinued), but hadn't given Denim Ink much thought as I'd always assumed from the name that it wouldn't be dark enough for me.

I was amazed. Where the Sapphire pencil lost its jewelled appearance when worn, the Denim Ink displayed a metallic finish and could be layered for a stronger hue. Next to my Dior Cabine eyeshadow, the shine looks more matted against the shimmer of the Cabine. It also takes on quite a matte appearance on my waterline, but it's definitely blue.

The formula: my pot of Twilight Ink is almost 3 years old and still going. I'd always thought the flaking there was because of the product's age, but I also find the same problem with the new Denim Ink pot. Compared to my NARS Paint Pots, the Bobbi Brown eyeliner pots do not glide as smoothly (and I don't have. Flaking issue with NARS). Durability-wise, other than the minor flaking, this eyeliner lasts all day and night on my oily skin in the Dubai humidity, so no quibbles.

I'd buy the Denim Ink again as it's a good all-round performer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2014 3:13:00 AM More reviews by aline26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Gel eyeliner junkie over here. Navy blue is my favorite color, so as you can imagine, I have quite a few liners of that color from various different brands. Bobbi Brown's Sapphire Shimmer Ink was my absolute favorite, so I was heartbroken when it was discontinued - until they released Denim Ink.

In the pot, Denim Ink looks almost identical to the Sapphire Shimmer, but swatched on the hand, Denim has more of a rich blue hue to it. The Sapphire Shimmer looks a little washed out in comparison. Both have the same subtle shimmer effect and both keep in the tradition of lasting power as with almost all of Bobbi Brown's other gel liners. Wearing these kinds of liners, if you have dark eyes like mine, the color shows up nicely when worn.

If black is too harsh or boring for you, Denim Ink (and Ivy Shimmer Ink) would be the best place to start when looking to try something different/new. I will keep repurchasing this as long as it is manufactured.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 4:58:00 PM More reviews by niseixtenshi

This is a great alternative to boring black or brown! This is a nicely pigmented blue/black. It has great staying power and is my new go to. I don't really see the sparkles that appear in the pot..but I'm fine with that. Makes my brown eyes pop!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2013 8:55:00 AM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I do like Bobbi Brown's gel eyeliners but I don't love them. They are very long-lasting but are also kind of dry & don't allow for smudging. I got suckered into buying Denim Ink because I adored the color in the pot. I only gave this 3 stars because, as another reviwer said, this is a gorgeous color in the pot or swatched on the hand but doesn't show up as the same color when applied above the eyes. Don't know why but the sparkle disappears. Very long wearing & waterproof just wish I could figure out a way to show off the sparkle-it's really a gorgeaous color when swatched. This looks nice on my NC25 skin and blue-green eyes so I will use it up but won't repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2011 1:06:00 PM More reviews by nekroze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this one today,and just now,after looking at the comments and swatches I had a feeling that I might have got the wrong product.but thats is not the case.I tried it at the counter and it looked a beautiful dark navy blue with a sheen.I swatched it on my hand and haven't felt the need to swatch on eyes either.I wish I did because this liner suffers from serious lack of pigmentation imho.it looks like a soft black with an invisible sheen.even though I am a nc20 and wore this on a base.still it is nowhere close to the color on my hand.I set it with mac-deep truth shadow and got the color I wanted.This was supposed to look gorgeous on my pale skin and brown eyes but I am very disappointed.The formula is nice though,soft and wears well but that's all.I would definetely have it returned but it is not possible in my country so I am sorry BB.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2010 6:46:00 AM More reviews by WhateverPeopleSayIAm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ok, I bought this with the Sparkle Eyeshadow in Denim and they look so pretty together; this is a really great alternative to black.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 5:12:00 PM More reviews by Socotroca

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my first gel eyeliner from BB. I had only used MAC before. I have read a lot about her liners and thought it was a good time to give them a try. I wanted a color that wasn't black because I needed a change in the routine. So I tried this one and I love it. It goes on very smooth and easily. The color looks fantastic; dark enough to define the eye but light enough to keep it "soft". And it makes the white of my eyes look whiter and the green in my eyes pops out!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was hoping for a dupe of Bobbi's discontinued Sapphire Shimmer gel liner, but this wasn't it. It is very close though - Denim Ink is just a tad more indigo and has the slightest tinge of purple to it, while Sapphire is more of a true blue. Looks great with neutral or pale silver shadow and is especially flattering on brown eyes, but it would look good with any eye color. It's too bad it was limited edition because there are so few shimmery dark blue gel liners on the market, so if you can still find it don't let it get away!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2010 11:51:00 PM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this. Gorgeous deep navy with a hint of shimmer. Can't wear black like me? Want an updated look from black or even brown? This is the answer. Fantastic, makes my eyes look so brown! Very happy with it, as I am with most of her Gel Liners!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2010 5:10:00 PM More reviews by coletteJ

I can't get enough of this! Its Bobbi's fantastic gel eyeliner formula (stays all day, goes on smooth) in a beautiful deep navy blue with some metallic or shimmer to it. It it didn't have that last quality I would have passed. Honestly its so pretty. Its not a "bam! I'm wearing blue" color its more dark and close to black. Not sure if this is LE or perminent