April 19, 2014 | 1789 users online

Other - Illamasqua - Medium Pencil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 12:31:00 AM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a review for the shade "severe", deep blood red. While I absolutely love the color as an eyeliner (over shadow or with primed lids, as it does transfer) it does not work as lip pencil for me. As an eyeliner, it glides on smooth and rich in one pass. Green eyed ladies, this shade is dark and red enough to makes your eyes pop without looking like red vampire eyes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2010 10:11:00 AM More reviews by mrsmalfoy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

This appears to be the first review for this product. I'm not really sure how to categorise these pencils. Illamasqua notes that they can be used on the eyes, lips, face and body, so I guess they're a sort of multi-purpose pencil. I received two pencils free when I bought some other products from Illamasqua. The two shades I received are Spell (Available in the EU only; pillar box red) and Forced (deep slate grey).

About the product itself: to be very honest, since I received these free, I'm probably not as objective or critical as I would be had I paid full price for them. I really like Spell, which I use as a lip liner. It's a great red on me. I've got a pigmented upper lip and uneven coloration on the lower lip, but Spell evens it out without needing much product. An thin layer covers the lips, and it's a very pigmented pencil. I didn't find it drying; in fact, it could easily be worn solo as a lip colour (with balm underneath). I think the Medium Pencils work well as lip liners and I plan to buy more in suitable shades.

On Forced: I liked it, but not as much as Spell. It's a nice enough grey, but I rarely wear grey and it doesn't really suit my skintone. I wore it as part of a silver and blue smokey eye, and it looked good there. The reason I'm not too wild about it is because it's a colour I would be unlikely to wear on my lips, I use it solely for the eyes and it's not very easy on the eye area. It's a little drier than I like my eye pencils (I prefer Urban Decay's 24/7 liners), without much slip.

I think in the wider scheme of makeup nuts, I'm fairly conservative with my choices, so I would use the Medium Pencils mainly as lip colours. But they're good products, and you should give them a try. I can see people who are really daring with their makeup loving these pencils as crazy lip shades, or using them for body art. I'm definitely planning to pick up a few more.

South Indian, DDD/GGG, MAC NC45-50, Illamasqua RF240, Bobbi Brown Golden, oily skin