October 21, 2014 | 1978 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Goody - Modern Updo Maker

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2012 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Suzy9797

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i cant help to believe that the people who don't like this just can't figure out how it works. it's not easy to figure out. the directions are garbage. but once you do figure it out, it's actually quite a miracle. i couldn't figure out how this makes your hair into a french twist, but it does! my hair is long-ish and on the thin side. doing it thru the bottom works awesome for me. it stays well and feels comfortable. i think everyone should give it a try. they have them at the dollar store now!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by ifasko

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After I watched a video this turned into a good hair device for me. I had a hard time understanding the package instructions.

I have medium length fine hair, and getting it to stay in any kind of up do is hard. I haven't worn this out and about yet, but we'll see soon - it seems to stay up well around the house.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2011 8:43:00 PM More reviews by taralynn36

I've had no luck with this. I have the spin pin which I love but no matter how much I try this, it won't hold my hair (which happens to be a couple inches past my shoulder, one length fine blonde hair). I've giving up on using this and just use a clip instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 10:47:00 PM More reviews by TipTopTap

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Speaking from the girl who has worn her hair in a ponytail since elementary school, this device is life altering. I recently switched jobs to a more professional atmosphere and out of curiosity purchased the Goody modern updo maker to give me a more sophisticated way to pull my hair back. I generally avoid buying uni-taskers, but this works so well that I love it anyway.

This is how I use it:

It takes a little practice. I've figured out about three slight variations.

$6 seems like a lot to pay for a hair tie, but the shape really is unique. The teardrop shape with the 'hooks' at the end help it grasp the hair and stay in place, and the curved design and semi-rigid material makes it more comfortable. Every other chignon pin I've seen is a flat and rigid 'U' shape, which doesn't stay as tight and isn't as comfortable.

For reference, my hair is fine and thick, and down about three inches past the collarbone. This probably wouldn't work for thin or short hair.

This thing is awesome. For those of use who don't have the skill or patience to use bobby pins- $6 is a reasonable price to pay for effortless elegance. Warning: if you get one that matches your hair, people will wonder how you keep it up!

Note: The day after I condition (with my super amazing Kirkland Shampoo/Conditioner), my super shiny hair is too slippery for this to hold. It works best on hair a day or two after.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2010 5:38:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Unfortunately this didn't work any better than the Spin Pin. I have very long, straight thick hair and it holds only for a couple of minutes. A chopstick works a lot better. I guess I'm sticking to jaw clips.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2010 7:17:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For reference I have straight medium length layered thick hair. This is one hair product that really tried my patience and time as I just couldn't understand the instructions provided nor achieve any thing that resembled an updo. I did some searching on the internet, watched YouTube videos, and practiced a lot. I finally can achieve two updos using this item. The first is the french twist inserting it from the side and second is a messy updo bun thing by inserting it from the base of a bun. I have found that either damp hair or unwashed hair (ie. the day after you wash) works the best and to only barely insert it into the middle of the bun or twist. I was failing as I was trying to put it in too close to the scalp and at the base of my gathered hair. Definitely recommend that others who are feeling frustrated check out YouTube videos for some visual tips and tricks.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2010 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Bjet

First of all I have medium length hair past shoulders by about 2 inches.
I find this works easier with damp hair but it seems as if for every 20 tries only 1 time it works for me.... I'm going to keep this and hopeful when my hair is longer it will be easier to work with.
UPDATE 12/31/2010: my hair is pixie short so it may be a very very long time until i'll be able to try this again

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2010 10:05:00 PM More reviews by Juliette

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

okay, after trying the package instructions this product was not working for me, I didn't understand from the instructions how this was going to turn my hair into a french twist. Then I looked on youtube for instructions and found that if you twist up your hair and tuck the ends under, and use the product from the side instead of the bottom, it works much better for thick hair. Once I tried it this way, it was so easy, I love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2010 2:41:00 PM More reviews by mmary

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried, but it's going back to the store. I read the instructions, followed the diagrams, watched the videos on YouTube. The only way this thing stays in my (longish, not too thick) hair is when I do that final 'twist' and jam it into my scalp. This can't be right, it's incredibly uncomfortable. If I loosen it even slightly, it starts to slip.

I was excited when these came out, because they seemed similar to the expensive sets one guy sells on eBay...but those are more regular 'U' shaped and supposedly have micro-grippers to hold themselves in place. I still want to try the Spin Pins, but my store is always out of them. They have plenty of these, however. I think I know why.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by crazyfrog13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have to say Goody has really stepped up its game with the Simple Styles collection. I have the modern updo maker and the spin pins and I've been loving both. I have absolutely zero talent when it comes to hairstyling, and even I can get a lovely updo with this thing. As the reviewer below mentioned, you do have to experiment with it a bit at first to get it right. I too was inserting the updo maker too close to my scalp, which pulled the hair way too tight. I had better luck inserting it into the bun rather than sliding it underneath the bun along the scalp. I love how you can achieve different effects depending on where you place the bun and how tightly/neatly you wind it.

What I love most about the modern updo maker and the spin pins is that you can achieve a quick and easy updo that stays put and all you see is hair! I'm a long time claw-clip user, and I was so tired of having big plastic clips visible in my hair all the time. These doodads have given me so many more options for more sophisticated updos even though I'm not particularly gifted at hairstyling!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No