Maybelline Color Sensational - Mauve-ulous

4.4

on 6/26/2011 12:45:00 PM

The quality is good, the color doesn't work for me but the brand I would buy again.

on 3/15/2011 10:34:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

For a color in the mauve family, I was really surprised at the intensity and darkness of this shade. The pigmentation is excellent, and it's smooth and creamy going on. It's not drying in the least. It's too dark for me (for daytime wear!) if I apply it straight on, but blended with a bit of lip balm or lip gloss, it's better. I would really call it a deeper berry, rather than mauve -- but it's very pretty regardless.

This might be my new favorite "red," if you will -- it's not red, but on me, it has the same type of deep, dramatic effect -- it's very old Hollywood, believe it or not (for reference, NW5-10, NARS Siberia).

on 10/6/2010 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

i love that color! So plummy,so creamy! Perfect color for the autumn and winter.goes well with plum eye shadow; silver,bronze,gold,pink, purple, nude shadow too!you can wear it alone or with a lip gloss.a purple one could be nice, gold, pink.there is so many ways with this one! Builtable.you can invent many look with this one! Love it!

on 7/29/2010 10:24:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This is a beautiful color, and I 100% agree with the review below that this lipstick needs to be applied with a brush. If you tried to apply directly from the tube to the lips, it is way too dark and intense (for me anyway.) However, applied with a lip brush, it looks fantastic. I wear this color when I want a more "dressed up" look. I like to put a light gloss on top of it, but it also looks good without. I would say this is more of a deep berry color rather than mauve. The staying power is probably average to above average. I do not find it to be particularly drying or moisturizing, probably because I do not apply that much product at once. I did not notice any smell, but I am never particularly sensitive to scents of cosmetics. Overall, I think this is a gorgeous color at a low price so I would definitely buy again!

on 6/15/2010 6:20:00 AM

I recently purchased this lipstick at CVS on a 2 for $10 deal along with Red Revival lipstick, so this was an awesome deal for me. I know these products usually range from $7-8 at local drugstores, which isn't too bad, especially if you get them on BOGO's. Anyway, I was so surprised that there wasn't already a review on this lipstick because I am absolutely in love with this shade. It is a creamy dark plum color with, very vampy and sophisticated in my opinion (think MAC Cyber, but not as dark). I admit i was pretty scared of this color at first, and was considering returning it for a more neutral shade, but after trying it once, I completely changed my mind. I wore this out today to lunch with minimal eyeshadow, black eyeliner, mascara, and a plum blush. It looked sooooo perfect! Keep in mind, for bolder colors like this, you DO have to use a lip brush to get good results. This is NOT something you can just slather on your lips without a mirror or you'll look like a hot mess. This wore pretty well for 3-4 hours. I did wear it through lunch and I did have noticeable fading in the center of my lips with a darker outer ring around it. The look wasn't too bad considering the lipstick left a plummy/berry stain behind, so it wasn't a gigantic contrast between the area where the lipstick wore off and the darker lipline. Despite the strong color, it did not accentuate the lines and imperfections on my lips, but I still suggest using a thin layer of lip balm underneath to smooth things out. The scent and packaging is similar to the other Color Sensational lipsticks. I personally love the pretty purple tube. People have been complaining about a "rancid play-doh smell" but the slight "play-doh" scent doesn't bother me at all and it doesn't linger after you apply anyway. I took off one lippy because it is a tad drying, not nearly as drying as a MAC lipstick but I suppose the longevity would suffer if it were any more moisturizing....

I'll take a picture when I have time...

Popular Lipsticks