April 19, 2014 | 1778 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Escales aux Marquises

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2010 4:26:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Let me tell you for a start that I own the previous two frags of the series, and I like them - Portofino is love! - so I expected Escales aux Marquises to be on par.
However, I got quite disappointed by it!
I thought it would have been the "floral" one of the series (being Portofino a Citrus, and Pondichéry Tea based).
At 1st sniff, I get a huge blast of citronella, yes, the bug repellent, and this might *seem* summerish but also it smells synthethic and harsh.
Don't like it! Don't want to smell like but repellent (and even if I would, I can get it cheaper than 70 Euros a bottle!!)
In addition: I cannot smell no blood orange at all - even it is listed in the notes.
In the middle & drydown, Marquises it's a light cologne that smells hugely watermelony (=aquatic) and is so similar to all the mainstream stuff that's around.
I do not get any Tiaré note (that I love).
All you are left with is a sticky candied-like smell on your skin after one hour.
Not 100% unpleasant, mind you, just I was expecting something more "Unique", more refined, more "Dior". Indeed it is very much "mass market".
Bottom Line: not going to buy the FB ....even if I I was planning to finish the Escale series collection!
____________________________