EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45

3.5

Active Ingredients: 9.0% Zinc Oxide7.5% Octinoxate Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Isopropyl Palmitate, Octyl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, Polyether-1. Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Tocopheryl Acetate, Citric Acid, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

on 4/6/2015 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I've been through two iterations of this sunscreen - the squeezy tube 3 oz version and the 7 oz air-free pump version. I vastly prefer the air-free pump; it's a great way to eliminate product waste.

The bottle will say that this is suitable for normal to oily skin. I have oily skin and find that it doesn't keep me matte at all; rather, it has a lotion-like consistency that I use in place of moisturizer in the morning. I will say that it is fairly easy to use an appropriate amount with the consistency, though. With heavier sunscreens I find that I don't want to use enough because of how greasy it feels.

A problem I had with EltaMD UV Clear that I sought to avoid with this sunscreen was pilling; UV Clear balled up on my skin no matter if I had makeup on or not. Thankfully, I didn't have that problem at all with this formula.

This is (so far) my favorite daily moisturizer, but I've only rated it 4/5 stars for two reasons:

1. The price keeps going up on Amazon, and I feel that the product is too basic to warrant that much of a price hike.

2. It has a more lotiony consistency that might be more appropriate for normal skinned folks rather than oily skinned.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This product does not give you that white glow that zinc sunblocks do. Don't like it just for that. This stuff can't compare to how beautiful my skin looks with my usual whitening zinc oxide. Will stick to my zinc, it whitens and brightens my skin beautifully, and I always get tons of compliments whenever I use it. Won't buy this again.

on 9/27/2014 10:33:00 PM

This sunscreen is lightweight and has not sent and suppose to be oil free but, its not oil free it contains coconut oil. It is made for sensitive skin it did not cause my face to become red or sting. It did clog my pores and make my face look super white and ashy. When I applied it on it start to ball up. Its not effective since it melts off and transfers easily. It made my face super oily on the surface and dry/dehydrated underneath. If I sweat or get hot it will start to melt and leave white streaks plus if it get into your eyes it will sting and become slightly blurry. I used it in super sunny humid 90-100 degree weather. Not effective I got a sunburn on my face. Since I have been using this I started to get sunspots I never had before. I don't recommend anyone who live in hot humid climiate to use this it doesn't work. This it not moisturizing at all even for my combination skin. Do not use it under your foundation it causes your foundation to look paler than the rest of you body.

on 7/20/2013 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This sunscreen would flake when I rubbed it in my skin. I would add more to make it go away and it didn't help. I also thought it wasn't as transparent cause the white tint made my skin look like I was wearing a foundation too light for my skin. This was dermatologist recommended but my doc is asian so I think it works for asian and white skin.

on 7/11/2013 4:31:00 PM

Love this!!! The only sunscreen I can wear on my face. No scent and not greasy. My makeup goes on perfect over it and I dont have to use a moisturizer...this stuff is perfect!!!

on 5/28/2013 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

NC25, Chinese oily skin, acne prone towards (dimethi)cones.

Having since removed ingredients ending in 'cone from most of my facial, makeup, and hair products, my skin has show considerable improvement re: clogs. The SPF45 was the only EltaMD product w/out 'cones, so I really really really kept trying to make it work..

I liked the dry matte texture for my oily skin and under my makeup, but I found after a few days of wearing, I would get clogged pores and sometimes even the random whiteheads. Finally off/on for 2 months, I'm just going to have to call it quits.

on 4/9/2013 3:15:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I love this sunscreen! I have pretty oily skin and usually end up shiny and greasy-feeling at the end of the day. This sunscreen keeps my skin nice and matte, and I don't feel greasy! I also like the physical blockers (zinc and whatever) because I know it is slightly healthier than the more chemical-heavy sunscreens. Some sunscreens with zinc can be white and chalky, but this blends in perfectly. I wear this sunscreen daily and don't need any makeup because my skin looks clear and dry.

on 2/1/2013 7:30:00 PM

Please tread lightly with this stuff, if you are compelled to do so by the glowing reviews. I am beginning to think those are paid reviewers, btw. This wins the prize for being the first skin product to break me out in hives. For background, I have oily skin that is not at all sensitive. I do get milia and was hoping that since this was for more touchy skin types, it wouldn't irritate or clog my pores. Well, a face full of red bumps after the first use is a major cause for concern. Seriously, if you buy this stuff, try in a small area first to see how you react to it. I, for one, seriously regret buying it at all.

on 4/7/2012 4:40:00 PM

I adore this product and have not only been using it for years, but I've also converted MEN into wearing it ;) So you know it's a keeper.

After years of searching for sunscreens I finally came across this one. My skin issues: I'm pale and damage easily. I also can't use most oils or any silicone; I'm extremely clog and breakout prone. It was very difficult to find something that didn't irritate my skin, break me out, and also had a good finish for makeup.

I have dry skin, and this can be a bit drying. I fix this issue by applying my moisturizer first on clean skin, waiting, and then applying the appropriate amount of sunscreen. I don't think it would be an issue for someone with combo or oily skin, though.

Although I'm not particularly sensitive to scents, this has very little, if any scent to me. Once it's soaked in, it almost provides a primer-finish for makeup products. I've never noticed it acting up in photographs either.

The only downsides to this product are: it's very expensive, and I can only order it online. That said, it's my HG and I'll never be without it. I do my part by promoting it to everyone I know, because if it ever gets discontinued, I'll have a heart attack! LOL. Best of luck in your sunscreen search, ladies and gents!

on 11/11/2010 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've oily/acne prone skin, so I hate apply heavy & greasy sunscreen. My dermatologist recommended this to me and it's the best one that I've ever used. It's very light-weight, non-greasy. It'll absorb very quickly by your skin and won't leave any whitecast on your face. Love it!