November 24, 2014 | 1748 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 45 (Sephora exclusive)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2014 10:13:00 PM More reviews by ciccastars

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have bought this product 3 times. I think improvements were recently made to the brush - the last time I bought it, which was about 2 months ago, the brush was MUCH softer than it was on the first one I bought last year.

The packaging is difficult to figure out and needs better instructions. The first time I tried it, I messed up the bristles trying to jam them back into the cap ... not realizing that I was supposed to pull the bottom part straight down to retract the brush. I also bought one for my mom, and I think she messed it up by twisting the bottom instead of pulling it. The bottom fell out, and the powder fell all over the bathroom floor - what a nightmare to clean up!

The color is peachy, but I don't think it's as orange as some other people say. I have VERY pale skin, and it does not make me look orange - though it is darker than my skin color. It would be better if it were a beige to light brown color; I understand they are trying to accommodate a range of skin tones.

It's tremendously overpriced for a sunscreen, but they don't exactly have a lot of competition. Hopefully more companies will come out with similar, and better, products to drive the price down a bit.

I will continue to buy this product because despite its flaws, it is the perfect solution to the problem of reapplying sunscreen over makeup. Many women don't reapply every few hours like they are supposed to because it's a major hassle and ruins a perfectly good face of makeup - I know I didn't before discovering this. This powder sunscreen circumvents that, and doesn't mess up my makeup at all - and that's a major plus in my book.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2014 7:50:00 PM More reviews by dolceus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the worst product I've bought in a while.

First, the colour was hideously orange. There is no way you could consider this a translucent powder (as its described) or wear it without looking like you belong on Jersey Shore.

The product goes EVERYWHERE when you dust it on. Imagine a cartoon cloud of face powder enveloping you and everyone around you, because that's what it does.

The final straw was when the cheap plastic packaging broke open in my purse, staining my bag, all its contents and part of my mattress bright orange. I am so, so upset about this. The sticky consistency of the powder makes it impossible to dust off easily, so everything it touched is now stained permanently and ruined.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by rebeccamv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

this seemed to look fine & matte at first, but over time (a few hours) this made my skin look greasy, my pores looked enlarged, and it made my skin super shiny.
the instant matte look was deceiving and didn't last!
the product does work and is very effective and protective, but the color and overall appearance bothered me too much to use again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by fannyfan

PROS:
- Perfect for reapplying sunscreen before my evening commute
- Good UVA protection due to high zinc oxide content
- Light and compact, thus easy to carry around

CONS:
- Stiff, scratchy brush (I try to be extra gentle around concealed areas)
- Slightly tinted, 1 layer looks fine but after 2-3 it gets too dark for my NC30ish skin
- Expensive, only available at Sephora

BOTTOM LINE:
I'll repurchase until I find a cheaper, translucent alternative with a softer brush.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by Vanilly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Mixed feelings about this.
I love the idea because I absolutely hate the traditional chemical sunscreens. They're usually greasy, smelly, and breaks me out or feels uncomfortable on my skin. For once, I found a sunscreen that works immediately (because it's mineral and not chemical), at least, that's what the SA at Sephora said. He swears by it and uses it on his bald head and claims to deter sunburns. Also said that you only need a little amount for it to work.

I guess it's easier for him to apply this on his head, but using this on my face proved more difficult than I imagined. You have to tap it on your palms to release the product into the bristles (which are rough and pokey, by the way). Then you go ahead and swipe the mineral SPF on your face. Whatever's that was left on your palms could be patted on your face (which is quite a bit; you get more on your palms than the bristles if not careful).
It's not very convenient I suppose, but it's do-able.
Also, I've had no bad reactions after using this product since I have dry sensitive acne-prone skin.

Sadly, the powder has a tint to it. I have fair-medium skin so I can use a little more if I wanted to. But for those who are too light or dark; you might struggle with this one. Instead, I recommend a translucent one (there's quite a few out there especially the ones mentioned by reviewers here).

I might repurchase this as I like the idea of having a powder disposing brush for convenience, but for its price and the hard bristles, I might have to think a long time before purchasing this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Concertina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was really hoping to like this product. It's not exactly translucent, it has a yellowy shade to it where if you don't wipe off the excess then you'll have yellow powder sitting on your face. And the brush application has so much excess powder on it when applying. I also don't know how legit the SPF 45 really is.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

If only I had read the reviews before buying 2 of these from Amazon! I liked his SPF30 in the brush format because the color was invisible on my skin and it left my skin with a nice finish. The color of this one though is awful. I have pale skin (Revlon Buff, MAC NC10-15) and this is dark orange on me. The first time I wore this I had to buff it all over my neck, chest and arms in order to prevent a visible line. I loved the idea of a powder sunscreen and the first one I bought was from Bare MInerals. That one was way too dark so I thought that PTR would be much better. I was very wrong. At least the brush on the Bare Minerals sunscreen was soft and dense, the one on the PTR sunscreen keeps shedding and can feel quite coarse. I have to shake it to release enough sunscreen to apply and so I get a cloud of powder if I shake too hard. Not impressed with this and can't wear a thick layer of it (due to the dark color) so I can't comment on whether it is a good sunscreen. I will try to use this up somehow as I can't return it (waited too long before I tried it). Won't buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2013 5:13:00 PM More reviews by Sjez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great idea in concept, terrible in execution. I'm not sure if this stuff even works because I gave up on it pretty quickly. This is because every time I opened it I released a cloud of product into the air. It looks pretty natural on skin, but I'm not even sure I am dispensing any product onto my skin half the time. Despite this, it seems to be pretty popular and my local Sephora is always running low on it. I do not get it. I'd rather just cart around a small compact with SPF and a retractable kabuki.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2012 9:37:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I really love this! I have just come back from Orlando, and used it over Skinceuticals Physical Fusion SPF50 for an added boost throughout the day. I found the colour fine, it blended with my NC30 skintone perfectly. I found it mattifying also which is great in the heat! I also found that the product came out easily when I wanted to buff it on to my skin (unlike the Bare Escentuals one), but I do think that the size of it is rather small considering how expensive it is! I will repurchase, but only for hot holidays (I am based in the UK normally).

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2012 5:29:00 PM More reviews by AMeehan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The only way this product is translucent is if you are an Umpa Lumpa. It is a very orangy brown that could blend into darker skin tones, but there was no way to make it work for me. If you are considering buying this find a tester and look at it in person. Do not buy sight unseen, as you may be in for a huge disappointment.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No