September 23, 2014 | 963 users online

Loose Powders - Sonia Kashuk - Brightening Powder

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2014 12:09:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I bought this with the sole intention of finding a dupe for Laura Mercier's Secret Brightening Powder. For me sadly it can't replace that product to set my under eye concealer. Apparently LM has crushed actual fairy wings and possibly the blood of new Makeupalley members because her powder has properties no other I've tried can replicate, and I've tried many. This simply doesn't look as invisible yet flawless as that does around my eye area.

However, I've got a great use for it! I always used a tiny bit of LM powder on my neck and upper chest area. Looked beautiful but I always worried I was using up my expensive powder. Now I use this solely in that capacity saving my other powder for its intended use. Because I don't have to worry about cost I use a large brush and also apply atop my shoulders. The result is very pretty. Light reflecting, yet I don't look like I have one of those glitter bomb body powders or lotions. Also helps now that it's summer when sunscreen feels a bit tacky.

I plan to try it on my face as a highlighter. This is a perfectly lovely powder and it does brighten the areas I've used it on. I wanted to give review to those who have tried and loved the LM powder but like me were hoping to find a less costly duplicate. When I was looking at reviews I couldn't find many by those who tried the other powder and were buying this one with the sole purpose of setting under eye concealer. For those wanting to use this as a face powder, I use a powder with a bit of shimmer myself, but I always mix it with a little non shimmery powder so I have a glow, but don't look like a disco ball. Works really well with overly matte powders. A little glow is good, go on, live a little!;)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by troo12

Be forewarned: this has shimmer!!!! If you are looking for a basic, natural setting powder, I don't advise this product.
On the other hand, for events and special occasions, I love it! It's a classy sparkle that adds a little depth to a look.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2014 12:36:00 AM More reviews by lbackstrom

Bought this to replace my Makeup Forever HD powder...it doesn't work as well at all. It doesn't keep shine away. I'll go back to the HD.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2013 3:00:00 PM More reviews by HighPriestess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

LOVE IT! Basically, it's a translucent setting powder with a little light-reflecting miracle inside--photographs flawlessly.

Very little product is necessary in my experience (combo-dry skin type). I can't think of anything bad about it, though I would love if they made this in a pressed format! I just am not a big fan of loose powders, but it works so well on me at such a good price!

I have very few wrinkles, but the small fine lines I do have are definitely "BLURRED" after I swirl this powder on. AMAZING.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2013 1:33:00 AM More reviews by akharri785

I'm glad that other people have positive experiences with this brightening powder but sadly it wasn't meant to be for me. I tried this multiple times for a couple of months and finally just threw it away today after it sat unused in my makeup case for like a year.
This is essentially a white, shimmery, micro-milled powder. I thought it would be nice for highlighting and setting under eye concealer/brightening the under eye area in general. However, I don't think it really did much except cover said spots in shimmer. So I have to disagree with those who say it doesn't look shimmery on the face. No matter how lightly I applied it, it definitely gave me some shimmer. Granted it's MICRO so it's not super noticeable, but everyone I asked said they could tell when they took a slightly closer look. And as you can tell, I don't like any shimmer/glitter on the face (eyeshadow is a different story) and think it should stay with those under twenty. At least one positive is that it isn't chalky or white when applied so its' really just the shimmer that bugs me.
Also, as others have mentioned, this packaging is THE WORST. It goes everywhere and since it's so fine, it get over everything and you will likely breathe some in. The sifter is pretty much useless and product still seeps out even when closed.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by tasjaa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff!!
Every time I use under eye concealer, I end up looking so puffy and weird.
But this stuff is perfect. I dab some under my eyes with a small fluffy brush and it just brightens my under eye without making my face look weird and swollen. Sometimes I also use this as a light setting powder or a subtle highlighter for that extra brightening oomph. Love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by ironwoman01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product in hopes that it would be a cheaper version of Laura Mercier secret brightening powder. I haven't tried the LM version, but the SK version is just okay to me. I thought it was okay for setting undereye concealer, but I like a pale yellow tinted powder for setting undereye concealer (bobbi brown's). I'm not sure what else this brightening powder can be used for, so I have it collecting dust for now.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 4:44:00 PM More reviews by ylrebmik7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

This is just not what I was looking for. I wanted a highly pigmented white powder that would work under my eyes to brighten them up. This is not it. This is basically a finely milled sparkley powder that goes on almost sheer. Really nothing white about it. For $10 on a nonreturnable product, sadly Target won't allow a return, just a waste of money for me. I'm surprised there were so many good reviews, but perhaps it has other good uses. Seems like a quality product, just not for me and too pricey.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2012 10:23:00 AM More reviews by snoopy68

I use very little powder products on my face, as powder can accentuate fine lines and impart a matte look, where I like more of a dewy, youthful look. That said, I use this powder on my eyelids prior to applying eyeshadow and it really helps my eyeshadow adhere better and have longevity throughout the day. It also lightens up the dark contours in the eyesocket area. I love the container too; it looks classy and has a big mirror which I find useful when applying mascara.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2012 8:56:00 AM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this because everyone always raves about Powderflague and LM Brightening Powder. This is suppose to be a a dupe for those. I never tried the original products so I can't say if this is similar or not.
I honestly don't know if this does anything. I don't really notice a difference between using this & using my Maybelline Dream Matte powder. I have been using it everyday anyway because I like using a loose powder on a blending brush to set my concealer. But I really don't see a difference. I'm not saying that it's a bad product. From what I heard, a lot of ppl use the LM or the Benefit not for brightening but because it makes concealer last & not look cake-y. At the end of the day my concealer still looks fine. But it also looks fine when I use my Dream Matte so.....

Update: I started using my L'Oreal Translucide powder under my eyes & I like it better than this. Has some coverage & also has the brightening effect.