Cetaphil Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer with SPF 50

2.4

This is actually the first products that i did a not-so-good review on..kinda makes me sad. I wish I saw other ppl's review before I made the purchase >.< so here is my review to inform others!!

Unimpressed, is what I would say if I had to give a more conservative review, but horrified, is how I really feel about this product.

The Application:
I thought I purchased a facial moisturizer with some SPF properties in it, but it turns out I purchased a moisturizer that acts exactly like a sunscreen. This product mentioned that it is non-greasy, but in my experience it is as thick and as greasy as any sunscreen I've tried. Not only did this product leave my face a shade paler, like a sunscreen, it also smells like one. I suppose that's what, "fragrance-free", really means; smelling like chemicals.

This product also does not have a matte finish. It left my face feeling very oily throughout the day. I also can't help but think the oiliness probably means clogged pores too. In general, I am very disappointed with the application and the result of this product.

The ingredients
4 out 5 of the ingredients used in this product has a moderate to high concerns of toxicity to the human body. Not only are these ingredients harmful, it also has a relatively high chance of causing skin allergy. Yet, Cetaphil's DFM is still a dermatologist recommended product!!!

Quick Summary
Pros
- Dermatologist recommended
- Broad spectrum of SPF 50
- Comes in a pump

Cons
- Irritating chemicals
- Smells like sunscreen
- Too thick and oily
- Leaves skin a shade paler
- Clogs pores

If you want to read more about this product you can check out the longer version of this review on my blog! Thanks for reading!

on 2/17/2015 8:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I apply this product to my face only when I know that I will be outside for than a longer period of time than usual. Otherwise, I do not wear this everyday. Everytime I have tried to wear lotions or creams containing SPF in them on a daily basis, it actually clogs my pores and promotes breakouts. Which is why, I have to be careful when it comes to such.

I also don't really care for the sunscreen smell it has, but I do my best to bear it. Also, I find that after a while it makes my face look and feel greasy, while I am wearing it. It also ends up running into my eyes, and making them blurry.

After I finish this stuff, I will look for another lotion that contains SPF in it to try instead. I plan to look for one that contains a physical sunblock in it and that is tear free. The only reason why I decided to buy this product was because I received a coupon for it through my dermatologist's office. Otherwise, I never wouldn't have thought to try it all. As, it is very pricey for a drugstore item. Plus, I have not had a good track record with wearing creams and lotions that contain SPF in them at all.

Overall, I do not recommend buying this product, and only plan to use it up, because I can't bring it back for a refund.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I was looking for a moisturiser to help out with my acne prone skin. Anyway this product is very thick in consistency. Also, it BURNS!. I would never buy this product again because it felt like my face was burning. It didn't break me out, but then again I only used it for a week and then gave up.

I would not buy this again.

on 5/6/2014 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

It's more like a sunblock than a moisturizer. I have really dry skin, and it doesn't make my face feel soft at all. Using this moisturizer has caused my skin to break out a lot, it's really greasy and just sits on my skin. I do not recommend this product at all!

on 2/9/2014 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I went to buy a simple moisturizer/SPF combo that would work for my oily skin, and this seemed like a safe bet, considering cetaphil's reputation. It says NON-GREASY. I ended up looking like I rubbed vaseline on my face. It felt almost as uncomfortable. I was really disappointed. I dabbed with mattifying sheets twice throughout the day; they did not help. I did not notice any burning, though.

This was the worst moisturizer Ive ever used. It is very oily and greasy & it burned my skin. I have acne prone skin/sensitive I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT

on 12/17/2013 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I bought this for my husband - he didn't use it and because it was summer and I'm pale - I started using it.

It can feel greasy, it also burns if you've recently exfoliated or are putting it under your eyes, but I've had anti-aging products do that too.

My best results with this product were right out of a shower - first I put on a lighter moisturizer, like regular Cetaphil lotion, then apply the Daily with SPF 50, then dry my hair - that way it's had time to set/dry for makeup and possibly some time under the blow dryer.

It's an OK product - I prefer the feel of the Neutrogena face sunscreen, not as burny, far more matte feeling and I'm applying 2 products anyways with the Cetaphil.

on 1/25/2013 2:56:00 PM

Burned my skin. Hate it!!

on 10/23/2012 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ok, I totally understand how people complain about the greasiness of this. It is EXTREMELY greasy at first. But, having worked in a Dermatologist's office, I got tons of samples and found a trick. I slather about a quarter-sized amount onto my freshly-washed face. Sometimes I use a half-dollar amount, depending on how dry my skin is. It's on my face thick enough to see the white of the product. I leave it on for 5 minutes and right before I am about to wash my face, I massage my face for about a minute to make sure my skin really soaks in there. Then, I take a washloth and drench it with water, wringing out the rest. Pop in the the microwave for about 30 seconds, take it out, make sure the steam gets out, place that on your face and leave it there until it isn't hot anymore (about 30 seconds or less), and in one swoop, wipe off the excess. Now, I know this is a bit of a process for a moisturizer, but TRY IT. My skin has never felt softer and more fresh than when I do this. It's like a little spa treatment every morning. Now, some may argue that this wastes product, and I understand where you're coming from, but like I said, I have a lot of it and the tube lasts a long time regardless of how much I squeeze out. As long as you let it sit and massage it in, you're getting what you need. The steam from the washcloth opens your pores so your skin just drinks it in. Love it!

on 7/29/2012 8:51:00 PM

Too oily. I love cetaphil but this product is just way too oily.

Popular Moisturizers