October 21, 2014 | 1818 users online

Makeup Brushes - Hourglass - Blush Brush No. 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is really soft and well made. I only use synthetic brushes and I'm very picky about them since I have sensitive skin that's easily irritated by scratchy or stiff makeup brushes. I use this as a blush brush and I love it for both powder and cream blushes. It picks up product easily and blends so well. I can get an airbrushed effect without any effort. Just very seamless and simple.

The size is nice since it's so versatile. It's not overly wide or fanned out as some blush brushes are (like the Ecotools one) so I can get a pretty precise application. It really feels so plush and silky soft, more so than my Ecotools or Urban Decay synthetic brushes.

I wash my face brushes daily and so far I haven't noticed any shedding at all and it holds its shape perfectly. Because its a more dense area of bristles it takes a little longer to dry than my average brush in a similar size. The handle is sturdy and easy to grip... not too long or too short. I've had it for almost a year now and it looks and performs like its brand new.

It's expensive for a makeup brush but I like investing in my face brushes because they're used the most and I want something that's going to last me years.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have to agree with Hawko - its a nice brush, but no-where near worth the NZ $114 (US $99). The bristles are soft and good quality, but so are most synthetic brushes these days. The difference is in how it performs over time.

Mine continually sheds hairs a few at a time so did not perform up to the hype.

Mecca have started to push this No.2 brush lately as the perfect all round solution for blush, bronzer and foundations, powders, liquids and creams. But I think its limited to being a good blush and highlighter brush only. Its head is floppy, smaller and only medium density compared to my firm kabuki brushes. It flops around a bit and takes too much work blending out streaks to be useful for bronzing or foundation. Sure I can "make" it work, but why would I bother when I have better brushes that do the job in half the time?

The Hourglass marketing I've seen, particularly blogs and paid-per-mention editorials implies that Hourglass alone can magically impart perfect, youthful qualities to your skin, creating an "airbrushed" finish with any foundation. Total rubbish! There are many, many similar brushes around that make that same claim and the secret is choosing the right base products for your skin and taking lots and lots of time buffing and practice to get this look right. And you don't to buy this actual brush to get this look. I brought a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush and it worked better then the No.2 Blush Brush.

It is slow to dry like all synthetic kabuki brushes, but a brush guard can help speed up drying time.

The handle is aluminium and is surprisingly light for metal, and balances nicely in the hand. The shiny metal surface is a fingerprint magnet and dings and scratches easily. The big handle doesn't fit in my brush rolls with my other brushes.

I find it nice for blushes and cheek highlighting, but I think you will honestly not want to stop keeping on adding new brushes to your collection after getting this brush. I got over trying to make this brush work and waiting for it to dry so I brought Real Techniques Expert Face Brush for foundation and blush and am much happier.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2013 12:22:00 AM More reviews by stephcotton1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am addicted to this brush. I just had a baby and had almost given up on the daily application of make up, but then I got this brush and now I am addicted. I apply foundation and a little concealer under the eyes and blend, then a cheek stain (which I've never managed to get quite right in the past), then contoured with powder. I was so impressed!
I like my foundation to be light so it evens tone but can still see the few freckles I have. My make up looked effortless and it was so easy to do. Much quicker than it used to take as well, somehow. By the third day I wanted to buy a second brush lol.
The only let down is the price. In Australia it's almost $90! I had a gift voucher to use so I didn't fork out for the full amount, I am hooked though so I am hoping for a couple of gift vouchers for Christmas so I can get a different hourglass brush.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 8:29:00 PM More reviews by liz48170

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have used this brush over and over and over.

It blends in everything, evenly giving a perfect finish.

It is my staple brush - the one I would choose if I could only have 1 brush - and well it is really expensive but after 2 yrs of use -- shows no use

This will outlast me

I clean with rubbing alcohol (super easy)

Blend in my tinted moisturizer / concealer / blush

Beautiful finish

I suggest investing in a GOOD top of the line brush before product. The end result will be that much better and you will save on product as you use so much less, and get an airbrushed finish

Have to add though - I felt the other brushes (eyes) and they just were not soft - I like my goat hair brushes for my eyes - super super soft - the Hourglass Blending brushes for face are outstanding - the same fibers for eyes just do are not great for me

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2013 9:49:00 AM More reviews by aninanto

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really love this brush. The bristle is so soft, easy to apply foundation, and the finishing is always flawless.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 10:41:00 AM More reviews by iwannago

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

omg this brush is absolutely amazing , i use this for buffing in my foundation and it does the job like no other brush! the bristles are so soft and it feels so nice on the skin, i didnt have to play around trying to see how to use this brush, its simple, i dot my foundation on my face, and then buff it in with this brush! the packaging is also great it deffinately feels like its worth the price. So if you have the money deffinately give this brush a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by enchantedlullaby87

Best face brush I own hands down! Yes it is expensive but it applies liquid and powder foundation flawlessly and I also use it as a blush brush. Easy to clean and incredibly soft! The only down side is the price but I haven't had to buy a separate brush for foundation, blush and powder.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I was so curious about this brush, so I make sure the site I ordered is good for return.
So is it a good brush, yes, and its multi-functional; good for liquid fdn, blush, buffing on mineral powder.
Does it worth the Cad $69? HECK NO !!!
Its just a marketing thing, an underestimation that it is 500% mark-up, so I took 1 lippies off the rating (4).
I appears those spin-off establishment, eg. By Terry,Tom Ford and now Hourglass(from Urban Decay) learned from their previous boss and developed into an even more greedy money-grabber. Like sunglasses, the mark-up of dept. store cosmetics are ridiculous.
Definitely will return this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2012 6:08:00 PM More reviews by untakenname1000

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

My search for the best blush brush is finally over! This is brush has all the qualities I was looking for. Application is FLAWLESS when using this brush. I would buy this brush again in a hot second if anything ever happend to it. I have tried the sephora angle blush brush, mac 168, nars yachiyo, cinema secrets blush brush, clinique blush brush and I know I'm forgetting a few but regaurdless this one blows the others out of the water!

PETA friendly too :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2012 6:38:00 PM More reviews by AJT711

BEST BRUSH IVE EVER USED.

This brush is amazing, so worth every penny. Takelon is so easy to clean and doesn't harbor bacteria like animal hair brushes can. I can't even tell you how many of my bare escentual and MAC brushes have fallen apart after a few months of gentle use.

This hourglass #2 brush is going to last years. It cleans easily with alcohol unlike natural hair which gets dried out by alcohol, and you can use it for primer, foundation, blush, bronzer and powder at the same time. It's my go to face brush; all of my other brushes have been put away because of this brush.