April 19, 2014 | 1086 users online

Makeup Brushes - Hourglass - Blush Brush No. 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have to agree with Hawko - its a nice brush, but crazily overpriced at New Zealand $114 - which is US $99! The bristles are soft and good quality, but so are most synthetic brushes these days. The difference is in how they perform over time.

1. Mine sheds a little at a time. I have to pick little brush hairs off my face afterward. So annoying when such an expensive brush can not hold up well.

2. Mecca hypes the No.2 brush is the perfect all round solution for blush, bronzer and foundations, both powders, liquids and creams but I totally disagree,this is exaggeration! Its not very firm, only average density, so its too floppy and small to be great at bronzing or foundation. I find it nice for blushes and cheek highlighting, but I think you will honestly not want to stop keeping on adding new brushes to your collection after getting this brush.

3. The Hourglass marketing I've seen, particularly blogs and editorials (who are paid to mention each product) hype implies that Hourglass alone can magically impart perfect, youthful qualities to your skin, with an "airbrushed" finish. Total rubbish! There are many, many similar brushes around that perform exactly the same if you look and it takes lots of time buffing and lots of practice to get this look right. And you don't to buy this actual brush to get this look. Real Techniques have the same high quality fibres that you have "air-brush" with (which actually means buff, buff, buff until your arm drops off, as well as layering with the right products that work for you if your skin is older like mine).

3. Like all quality Taklon fibre brushes it doesn't absorb make-up so you will notice you use less product/save money, and the brush doesn't need to be cleaned as often. Real Techniques and other similar taklon brushes do that too. I noticed it cleans up faster and easier than most brushes, so if that might score a point with some. It is slow to dry like all synthetic kabuki brushes, but a brush guard can help speed it up.

4. The handle is aluminium and isn't as heavy as I expected and balances nicely in the hand. Its a bit chunky so it competes for the larger spots in my brush rolls and doesn't always fit without shifting everything around. The shiny metal surface is a fingerprint magnet and gets greasy quickly, and it has a tendency to develop lots of dings and scratches each time its dropped. Dings and scratches sounds bad its kind of charming and thats how you know its yours.

Better Alternatives....

Its attractive and feels nice but I no longer reach for this brush. Its like a hot guy you date a few times until you realise you've wasted too much time trying to make it work and you're over it! My other brushes are better and faster, I honestly prefer my brushes from these brands: Wendy Hill New Zealand, Bobbi Brown, Smashbox, Model Co (GWP), Bourjois, Real Techniques, Mac, Revlon Vital Radiance, Napoleon Perdis. At the moment my favorites are Real Techniques Contour Brush which does the job quicker for blush and of course can be swept or buffed for the airbrush look. Real Techniques Blush Brush is great for powder bronzer or finishing powder. Real Techniques Expert Face Brush is quicker and better for foundation - its a much firmer, denser brush head than the Hourglass and is just as soft.

If I want to travel light with one single all round brush I take either the Real Techniques Contour Brush or Expert Face Brush, or my Thin Lizzy Natural Hair brush that comes with the their 6n1 Bronzer. Real Techniques works well with traditional powders, mineral makeup, liquids and creams. Natural hair works well with powders so its great for using in the summer when my skin is more hydrated and needs powder to stay put. Natural hair dries quicker and is ready for re-use faster than the hourglass.

Overall I'd say buy it if you truly like it and have the money to spend, you will enjoy it! Its gorgeous and feels soft! However if you are on the fence you will regret such an expensive outlay. The all in one benefits are totally over-hyped, its basically just a blush brush and there are lots of brushes of the same quality you can explore for far less:)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2013 12:22:00 AM More reviews by stephcotton1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am addicted to this brush. I just had a baby and had almost given up on the daily application of make up, but then I got this brush and now I am addicted. I apply foundation and a little concealer under the eyes and blend, then a cheek stain (which I've never managed to get quite right in the past), then contoured with powder. I was so impressed!
I like my foundation to be light so it evens tone but can still see the few freckles I have. My make up looked effortless and it was so easy to do. Much quicker than it used to take as well, somehow. By the third day I wanted to buy a second brush lol.
The only let down is the price. In Australia it's almost $90! I had a gift voucher to use so I didn't fork out for the full amount, I am hooked though so I am hoping for a couple of gift vouchers for Christmas so I can get a different hourglass brush.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 8:29:00 PM More reviews by liz48170

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have used this brush over and over and over.

It blends in everything, evenly giving a perfect finish.

It is my staple brush - the one I would choose if I could only have 1 brush - and well it is really expensive but after 2 yrs of use -- shows no use

This will outlast me

I clean with rubbing alcohol (super easy)

Blend in my tinted moisturizer / concealer / blush

Beautiful finish

I suggest investing in a GOOD top of the line brush before product. The end result will be that much better and you will save on product as you use so much less, and get an airbrushed finish

Have to add though - I felt the other brushes (eyes) and they just were not soft - I like my goat hair brushes for my eyes - super super soft - the Hourglass Blending brushes for face are outstanding - the same fibers for eyes just do are not great for me

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2013 9:49:00 AM More reviews by aninanto

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really love this brush. The bristle is so soft, easy to apply foundation, and the finishing is always flawless.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 10:41:00 AM More reviews by iwannago

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

omg this brush is absolutely amazing , i use this for buffing in my foundation and it does the job like no other brush! the bristles are so soft and it feels so nice on the skin, i didnt have to play around trying to see how to use this brush, its simple, i dot my foundation on my face, and then buff it in with this brush! the packaging is also great it deffinately feels like its worth the price. So if you have the money deffinately give this brush a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by enchantedlullaby87

Best face brush I own hands down! Yes it is expensive but it applies liquid and powder foundation flawlessly and I also use it as a blush brush. Easy to clean and incredibly soft! The only down side is the price but I haven't had to buy a separate brush for foundation, blush and powder.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I was so curious about this brush, so I make sure the site I ordered is good for return.
So is it a good brush, yes, and its multi-functional; good for liquid fdn, blush, buffing on mineral powder.
Does it worth the Cad $69? HECK NO !!!
Its just a marketing thing, an underestimation that it is 500% mark-up, so I took 1 lippies off the rating (4).
I appears those spin-off establishment, eg. By Terry,Tom Ford and now Hourglass(from Urban Decay) learned from their previous boss and developed into an even more greedy money-grabber. Like sunglasses, the mark-up of dept. store cosmetics are ridiculous.
Definitely will return this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2012 6:08:00 PM More reviews by untakenname1000

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

My search for the best blush brush is finally over! This is brush has all the qualities I was looking for. Application is FLAWLESS when using this brush. I would buy this brush again in a hot second if anything ever happend to it. I have tried the sephora angle blush brush, mac 168, nars yachiyo, cinema secrets blush brush, clinique blush brush and I know I'm forgetting a few but regaurdless this one blows the others out of the water!

PETA friendly too :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2012 6:38:00 PM More reviews by AJT711

BEST BRUSH IVE EVER USED.

This brush is amazing, so worth every penny. Takelon is so easy to clean and doesn't harbor bacteria like animal hair brushes can. I can't even tell you how many of my bare escentual and MAC brushes have fallen apart after a few months of gentle use.

This hourglass #2 brush is going to last years. It cleans easily with alcohol unlike natural hair which gets dried out by alcohol, and you can use it for primer, foundation, blush, bronzer and powder at the same time. It's my go to face brush; all of my other brushes have been put away because of this brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2011 8:43:00 PM More reviews by Plagueofhamsters

Yes, this brush is expensive, but worth every penny to me. I use this daily for foundation and bronzer. It's super soft and has remained that way for the 3 years I've had this brush ($58 over three years is cheaper than any other brush I would've repurchased 2 or 3 times). I've tried plenty of similar round synthetic brushes to apply my liquid foundation (Ecotools, Sephora, Everyday Mineral, and some others) and none seem to compare to this one. Highly recommend it.