April 21, 2014 | 1508 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Cover Girl - Simply Ageless Serum Primer

rated 3 of 5 on 3/11/2014 12:05:00 AM More reviews by HollyWould123

Ever since I began using products from this line over the summer of 2013, I find myself with extremely oily skin. I'm not sure why it took me until now to realize these products are the main contributing factor, but I have ruled out everything else. I began using the foundation from the Cover Girl + Olay line and mentioned this same issue in that review. At the time I wasn't sure if it was the humidity of summertime or the product. Now that winter is pretty much over and I am nearing the end of my bottle of this primer, I can say with almost full certainty it is this line of products. I am curious to see if my skin returns to its normal state of combination/borderline dry.

The product itself I felt was great for priming. I think a good primer has a silicone base to it, which this definitely does. The reason I was drawn to these products to begin with was because of the Olay factor, which I use on my skin and during showers regularly. So I figured that would be an added bonus. I liked the bottle in which there is a pump that I feel pumps out exactly the perfect amount (which was also the same as the foundation). I would use this in conjunction with my Make Up For Ever HD Foundation or Sephora Perfection Mist Airbrush Foundation.

Again, I do feel regardless of which foundation I used, my T-zone would be a mess several hours into use. Perhaps it is the product, or maybe it's that I use a heavy-ish moisturizer? Typically, I wash my face, apply toner, apply a SMALL amount of moisturizer, then primer, foundation, etc. Anyway, perhaps this is a good product for you if you have extremely dry skin. I did not find it was irritating, scented, or tinted (it's white, goes on colorless). I found Revlon's PhotoReady primer to be effective as far as drug store brands go, so you may want to go that route. If you want to spend a few bucks, I would go with Smashbox Photo Finish, which was the first primer I ever used and continues to be my absolute favorite to this day! I will not be repurchasing this product or anything from this line again, I feel as though I gave these products a thorough chance and just can't seem to find a way around the greasiness that comes along with them!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2014 3:14:00 PM More reviews by Kristarz

my makeup looks fantastic ontop of this primer. I have combination skin and i do not find that this primer leaves my face feeling oily. My makeup stays on all day!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2013 11:38:00 PM More reviews by AidaE

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My extremely dry skin loves, this product. The texture is very mousse like and it glides on beautifully and even sort of melts into my skin. My skin is always left feeling very moisturized and dewy after application. Oily skin and normal skin would probably hate this product because of dewy/oily feel it has. I can imagine the product sliding right off along with their makeup for people with those skin types. As for me my makeup adheres pretty well with this product. It doesn't last all day but it does give me a couple of good hours with a glow. It's colorless and doesn't have a scent, nor have I found it to be irritating to my sensitive skin. Its one of those products I look forward to using because of the immediate effect it gives.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by susanti

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Save your money; this product is useless. I have hooded eyes and need something to keep my eyeshadow from creasing. My regular product was sold out so I was talked into this. Uh, no. I was in a tropical climate and I could never get this to dry. Normally I have dry skin but when the humidity is 100%, you don't need moisturizer; this was just useless sticky gunk.

Also, if you're carrying this on an airplane, make sure to slip it into a baggie first because it leaks.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by pdxbutterfly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been searching for a product that will just help my cream-to-powder foundation stay put all day long as I am reapplying it 4 or 5 times a day. This is the only primer I could find that didn't have a tint, so I thought I'd give it a go. It made my face feel oily all day, my foundation doesn't seem to last any longer and the worst part is that it makes me look old!! It accentuates every wrinkle in my face! I'm 34 and usually get told I look about 27. Simply Ageless? Ha! I will not be using this product again. I have an entire bottle left if anyone wants it.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2013 1:37:00 PM More reviews by n1coled

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have pretty decent skin that rarely breaks out, but this product made me breakout within a couple hours of using it. I had hard red bumps that itched down the side of my face and neck. I think most of the reviewers that mentioned breakouts from this product are spot on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Annabells117

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this drugstore primer! I'm shocked by the low rating for this product. I feel like the reviews for primers in general are all over the place. I think that is bc we all have different skin types. Also these product promise a lot and so that creates unrealistic expectations.

For a drugstore primer this is the best. I actually use it over high end, bc I love the Olay formulations and I find it really helps the look of my skin. If you've ever used the Olay Daily Regenerating Serium (the clear, fragrance free is the one I prefer) - that can be used as a primer as well and has a more slippery classic primer feel. It's also much more expensive than this. But this Covergirl Olay version is lotion-based and I feel it's more moisturizing. I don't notice any bothersome scent. It takes down redness, makes my face matte and smooth. I think it does create a nice canvas for makeup. I don't wear primer everyday but for a night out. Interestingly, I also use this product on days when I DONT wear makeup.

Maybe it's just my skin type, but this really takes the redness out of my face. It's better than anything I've found for that purpose. I don't have a lot of redness, but I'm so fair that it's noticeable. I'm about NC20 now that I've been on Retin A (NC25 when not on Retin A, it lightens the skin). My skin type is combo/ oily but dehydrated. I used to get flakes around my nose and mouth, but that has stopped now since I use Grapseed oil as a moisturizer. But if I do have any dry flakes, this Covergirl primer helps smooth them so makeup goes on easier.

Note that the price of this product is really good considering the ingredients. It has niacinimide, panthenol, Vit E, titanium dioxide, dimethicone (for slip) and it does actually contain peptides for anti-aging. I work in the pharmaceutical and consumer products industry. I can tell you that for a topical primer, those ingredients are about the best you can do for your skin (assuming you're already using SPF). I do not know the concentrations, but I know that in general, Consumer Reports has found that the Olay products with these ingredients consistently top their charts as the best for producing noticeable results.

I can't personally speak to the anti-aging properties of this 1 product alone. My top skincare products are Retin A, Grapeseed oil/ Vitamin E, and the EL, PTR, Olay, and Roc skincare lines. These have all helped improve my acne scars. I can tell you that the ingredients in the Olay regenerist line absolutely work to lighten dark spots, improve skin texture and reduce redness. If you're looking for a product that's a primer and can help your skin out with those benefits, this is a great choice.

If you're looking for tightening or improvement of deeper lines, I don't know of drugstore product that really help (with the possible exception of high concentration glycolic or other AHA alpha hydrox acid products used over time). If those are your needs, I'd recommend saving for cosmetic procedures, like a Fraxel Restore or other serious laser. They've done wonders for my colleagues who are in their 50s. I have a 52 year old colleague who literally looks 35. I work with women in their 30s - 50s, and we all talk about skincare. I notice women in their 30s often get better results from topical products. I don't know if that's bc the more mature women have used topical products for longer and exhausted the benefits or if this is a result of skin changes over time. I do know that ingredients that boost collagen production in 35-year-old skin will not necessarily boost it in 60-year-old skin.

That being said, I think this primer is worth a shot for ladies of all ages. I got it for my 65 year old mum and she likes it! She said she hasn't noticed any massive change in her skin (she's part Asian & a bit darker than me so she doesn't have redness), but she likes the feel of it.

Love the product, for the $, great ingredients, from a reputable company, no drawbacks, improved texture & appearance of skin, & possible anti-aging benefits.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2012 4:04:00 AM More reviews by cwabby

I really wanted to like this product because I love Olay. But it is horrible for my combination/oily/acne prone skin. I use milk of magnesia under my makeup and that usually keeps me matte most of the day. But I tried using this primer (with MoM as well) and my face was a grease slick in 2 hours.

It feels extremely heavy on my face, like my skin can't breathe. And it's also got a sticky feeling once it gets oily again. The only thing I like is the pump bottle. Other than that, this product is a huge let down unfortunately

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by bettygrrl23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I have not written a review in a while, but I have to write something about this...IT IS HORRIBLE! I used to have really acne prone/ sensitive skin a few years back and since then, I have been acne free (it was mostly hormonal...). I have combination skin where it's oily sometimes in the t-zone (mostly in the summer), but other than that it's regularly normal. Well, I kept hearing very good things from friends that this is comparable of brand name primers, but for a more inexpensive price. I am all for that, so I thought what can it hurt, right?...Wrong, just very wrong indeed! It made me break out soooo bad! I now have the painful cystic acne going on! I put less than a full pump on my face, because it was easy to spread and to cover my entire face. It honestly didn't look like it softened or "cover up" any pores at all. It made my face seem a little more matte before applying my foundation. But, as soon as I applied my foundation, my pores seemed HUGE and my skin felt immediately like I was wearing a thick mask, which in general; it NEVER does. After a half an hour, my skin was just a greasy mess and my foundation was creasing. After a few hours my skin was uncomfortable and that's when i realized, I was breaking out. I am usually one to experiment and try again to see if I get the same experience, BUT which such a negative reaction, it will never be used again :(

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2012 2:27:00 PM More reviews by remi0402

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm starting to have pores on my cheeks which I've tried a lot of skin products to fix it, but in vain. So I turned to look for help from cosmetic stuffs. And I found this serum on sale, so decided to give it a try. I only press half to get like pea size amount, and it's enough to cover all my face. The serum is very easy to spread over, and it actually covers up my pores and makes my skin tone look even. I usually just put loose powder after my sunblock and no makeups but with this product, I can even skip the powder part cuz it smooths my skins and makes it look matt and even.