September 2, 2014 | 941 users online

Sunscreen - Paula's Choice - Pure Mineral Sunscreen SPF15

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 1:28:00 AM More reviews by girlndocs

Well, I am in love. For context, I've spent a year wearing only Vanicream spf60 (very heavy, sticky and oily) because it was literally the only sunscreen I'd found that didn't give me a painful reaction on my face. Even other physical-only sunscreens gave me a peeling rash.

I knew -- KNEW -- that somewhere out there, there had to be a lower-spf, lighter mineral sunscreen that wouldn't chemically flay me. And I found it. I was so happy when I patch tested this lotion that I literally jumped for joy. Being able to wear a light, cosmetically-elegant sunscreen is amazing for me.

Even without my allergies, I would still have rated this sunscreen highly. It has no objectionable smell, is a positive joy to apply, and in under 5 minutes sinks in to a very slightly dewy finish that one light dusting of powder covers for the whole day. The price is reasonable (no $50-per-tube extortion), and I don't have to send away to Europe or Japan for it.

I don't understand the negative reviews for this sunscreen. In no way is it stiff, thick or sticky. It is a light fluid that applies smoothly and easily. Maybe there was a dramatic reformulation at some point and the negative reviews are essentially for a completely different product? I do suspect the people who complained about a heavy white cast were using far too much of it. I also haven't had any trouble at all taking it off, using good old fashioned cold cream.

I am not going to find excuses not to wear sunscreen every day, because sunscreen in January no longer means slathering on slimy white putty. I am a happy girl.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2012 11:43:00 PM More reviews by jles

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

For someone looking for a mineral only sunscreen this may be just right for you. I have been please with several aspects of this sunscreen but will have to use it with caution...as I will explain. I have highly sensitive skin with rosacea so a mineral only sunscreen is a must. That being said, mineral sunscreens can be very difficult to apply to the skin, they tend to be thick and white. This sunscreen goes on smoothly and absorbs quickly and that is a very nice feature. (My skin type is very dry, not sure how an oily skin type woud find it.) The texture is very nice. What I am finding, however, is that it is not quite enough protection for me on very hot sunny days. In addition to my rosacea, I also have sun sensitivity and this sunscreen just doesn't block enough for me to use it during the summer months but I think it will be very nice in the other seasons. I'm talking as a facial sunscreen here and, yes, I wear a sunscreen on my face every day even when my facial products or makeuphave SPF in them. During the summer, I think I will have to stick with my thick friend, Vanicream, but I do like Paula's formulation for days when I don't need quite so much protection. To put it into perspective, I burn in under 20 minutes, more like 10. If you do not have as severe a reaction to sun as I do, this may be just the ticket for you year round. For a mineral only sunscreen the texture and smoothness is very nice. I look forward to being able to use it when the days get shorter and the cloud cover comes back, then I think it will be just right for me. Until then, I will stick with my Vanicream and the pat and dab method of application, if you've used a thick zinc oxide cream...you know what I mean.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2012 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Walko

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another great product from Paula. This is a great sunscreen and its not greasy and can be use around the eyes.I don,t find it hard to remove at all as some reviewers are saying. I just wash my face with whatever facewash I'm into at the time and it's fine.People are also saying that they need a higher spf and I'm sure some people do.But what I'm sure a lot of people do not realise is that the spf only applies to uvB rays.That is the rays that burn. UVA are the rays that age the skin Reliable UVA sunscreens are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Also stabilised avabenzone. Even if a product claims to have an spf of 50, if it does not contain reliable UVA protection you're better off with an spf 15 product that also protects against UVA. What I'm trying to say is with sunscreens don't be fooled by the spf. Higher isn't always better. Also spf 30 does not block out much more rays than spf 15.Your adding all these extra sunscreen chemicals for very little extra protection. Personally I wouldn't go higher than spf 30.If you really burn that easy stay out of the sun.I hope this is helpful. I was horrified to have been using a product a couple of years ago that was totally lacking in UVA protection even though it was spf 30!! So anyway give this one a try. It's good stuff at a good price. Paulas moisturisers with spf are exellent too, but work out a lot more expensive than this sunscreen.The down side of this for me is that it dosen't have a lot of antioxidants which is not like Paula's products. However I overcome this buy using an antioxidant serum underneath.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/31/2011 8:26:00 PM More reviews by KylesBeguiles928

I give kudos to Paula for creating a mineral-based sunscreen in a lightweight base with no added irritants The fragrance-free lotion has a unique aroma that is kind of interesting - not foul, not strong... mildly mineral is the only word that comes to mind. Sadly, the white cast left even after deft blending looks odd on the skin. Also, good luck trying to remove this product - I used a silicone-based makeup remover tonic followed with a water-soluble cleanser and then toner, and I could have sworn there was still residue left on my skin. Given the insight that Paula and her team have when it comes to everything skin care products should and shouldn't be, I was surprised by the considerably lean antioxidant content - just green tea and grape seed, and halfway down the ingredient list. I am equally shocked by Paula's professed adoration for this sunscreen (apparently she uses it indispensably for her hands and other exposed skin throughout the day). This one was a real disappointment for me, and an unfortunate misstep in what is normally a line of cosmetics that sets the standard for the industry.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2011 8:04:00 PM More reviews by atlas84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I bought this sunscreen to use on my arms in the summer time. It goes on pretty smooth but leaves a bit of a white cast that goes away after you allow time for the sunscreen to set. Not sure how well it protects since my sun exposure in summer is usually limited to driving to and from work and going out to run errands. Will consider repurchasing for next year.

I did try this on my face and found it went on smoothly, but if I had any stubble (guy here), it clumped up and looked awful. This sunscreen is marketed for dry skin types, but I have oily skin and found it looked soft and smooth on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2011 5:44:00 PM More reviews by doublejoy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I absolutely love this product and am stunned by the low rating (seems like the older reviews were low - did PC reformulate?). Anyway, I have mild rosacea on the top of my cheekbones. Most sunscreens make my skin flush or they are so goopy that it's actually uncomfortable to keep them on my skin. This is just amazing - no redness, no flushing and keeps my slightly dry skin looking hydrated but not greasy like most sunscreens do.It's a white cream that spreads fairly easily and has no scent to irritate my skin. I just love this - very economical too. It only has an SPF of 15 but I don't stay in the sun too long so it's enough for me. I use this as well as PC Skin Recovery Cleanser, BHA 1% Lotion, and Resist Barrier Repair Moisturizer and I see an improvement in my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2011 9:53:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this. It's very moisturizing so I only use it on days when my skin is dry and/or sensitive. I find most lotion based mineral sunscreens to be on the heavier side, that's the trade off, they're heavier but better on sensitive skin than chemicals. Some days I use this in lieu of a moisturizer, usually when retin-a has left my skin a bit sensitive and on the drier side (normally I have oily combo skin). I purchased a pump along with the first bottle, it's thick and can be a pain to get out if you use the top it comes with. I find having to purchase new tops for 75% of PC products is annoying, not to mention the price markup on them is ridiculous, but I do love her products.

Overall I think this is a great mineral sunscreen option.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2011 3:46:00 AM More reviews by Deanna2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this sunscreen for a least a couple of years now. I apply it right after my shower while my skin is slightly damp and I've had no problems with a white cast. By the time I'm ready to apply makeup, it's fully absorbed. The best feature of this sunscreen is that it's a physical sunscreen. I tried her Essential Non-Greasy Sunscreen and it made my eyes burn. I have normal to oily skin and it's a little too moisturizing for my taste, but I'm willing to put up with that for a non-irritating sunscreen. Though Paula does not make the claim that it's waterproof or water-resistant, it is very water-resistant for me. It can definitely stand up to heavy perspiration. In fact, as others have stated, it can be difficult to remove. I use a washcloth and Paula's Skin Balancing Cleanser, but make-up remover might do the trick too. I will continue to repurchase unless I find a physical sunscreen that's less moisturizing.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2011 2:40:00 AM More reviews by Tpot

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Have used this for almost a year, it's fragrance free, goes on matte, is easy to apply and stays put till I wash it off at night. I use it all over, even near my eyes and it doesn't smart at all, even after excercise. There is a slight white cast, especially around the hairline, but wait awhile, after it dries up, it is gone. I have not had any problems with it at all so far. My face does tend to look shiny by mid-day, or when I've been out in the sun ( it's hot & humid where I stay), but that's nothing new as I do have oily skin that's also prone to dehydration. I wash it off with PC's cleansers - the One Step for normal to dry, or, for normal to oily skin - & it comes off easily in one wash. I don't use makeup, so 1 wash is usually all I need, unless I am sweaty & oily. Price wise, it's economical for the amount of sunscreen you get; I've paid triple the amount for sunscreens that's only 1/4 the content before- that was crazy. My daily staple now. Highly recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2010 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Trilliana

Love it - one of the best sunscreens out there. There's just a hint of a white cast to the skin which has to be blended out. Mine is most prominent near the hairline. With the mattifying serum underneath, this is absolutely perfect.