July 31, 2014 | 1877 users online

Palettes - Coastal Scents - 88 Metal Mania Palette

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by MacPeetster

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is great! Goes on pretty smooth and doesn't crease at all. Not all colours are as creamy, but most of them are. I do have the Naked original palette and I think they are comparable. However, this one is much cheaper and I do use it more often for some reason. Would recommend! As for me, I will never buy the higher end brands when I can have this for a price much more reasonable. Go buy it. Another recommendation from CS would be the 120 palette number 5, which is even greater than this one. I bought it on Amazon UK and it's beautiful!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Amandag1985

I LOVE THIS SET!!!!!! every colour I could ever want and need. High pigmentation, zero creasing and truly lasts all day. Not to mention the great price. Love love love!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2013 8:07:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

As someone with a fairly sizeable shadow collection, my main draw to this was the price. I purchased mine when it was on sale for $9.95. For that price, for 88 colours, even if the majority turned out to be duds or you don't use it a ton, you can't really go wrong at that price.

For the most part, the majority of the colours are fairly pigmented, and apply decently with or without a base, though a base, especially sticky one, will intensify the colour and opacity. The shadows are on the softer side, so patting them on rather than swiping helps to combat fallout.

The only cons I can really think of are 1) the size. It's not HUGE, especially considering there's 88 shadows in it, and it's fairly flat, but it is bigger than something like a Naked palette. For short trips, or times when you need to conserve luggage space, it's not the most ideal for travel, especially since it only contains highly metallic/frosty shades. 2) Though it contains 88 colours, some of them are VERY similar to each other and are virtually indistinguishable once applied, especially sheer or without a base. However, even taking into the account the "dupes" within the palette, you're still getting 70+ distinguishable colours/shades.

Overall, I think this could be a useful palette for both makeup veterans and newbies. There are some great fun colours, but also a bunch of great neutrals. It's a good way to play around with colours and textures without the commitment or expense of buying a bunch of huge singles, or multiple palettes to get the same colours. I usually only reach for mine once a week or so, but for the price, it's totally worth it to me :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by AzurLove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I think this is a great palette for someone who's just starting to build a makeup collection. It has a great selection of colors, must of which have good pigmentation and decent lasting power (if you use a primer, of course). I used to love this palette when I was still a newbie to the makeup world. However, as my eye shadow collection grew, I stopped reaching for this. In fact, I don't think I've touched it in 2 years.

My main complaints with this palette are:
1. 50% of the colors just don't work on my skin tone (NW 50).
2. There is a lot of fallout with some of the more shimmery shades.
3. Dime-sized shadows run out fast (especially if you have a favorite you use a lot).

The best things about this palette are:
1. It's very affordable
2. It comes with a mirror, and is great for travel.
3. Color selection makes it great for experimenting with different shades.

Overall, I would recommend this for a starter. If you already have a large eye shadow collection, this might not be that useful.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2013 9:10:00 PM More reviews by jojomua

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

love it, love it ! this in my first Coastal Scents palette and I think its very nice. colors are smooth and very pretty and blend beautifully. There are some lighter colors, however ,that don't show up and stay on to well, but for the price( and Coastal Scents seem to have great sales daily) very well worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2013 7:52:00 AM More reviews by Pseudonormic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I bought both the matt and shimmer for my sister and myself. She is living in Asia where it's hot and humid all year yound and I'm in Australia. Now I'm telling you this because the shadow changes consistency. Mine has lasted for about 3 years and not changed in smell, colour or consistency but my sisters, upon application, became cakey and not very nice.
I think the humidity is the culprit here.
However, I must say, I absolutely ADORE my eyeshadow. I don't use it much for everyday work (hardly get to work ontime as it is without applying eyeshadow), but when I am out, I love using this.
A couple of my pots fell out but that to me is not a big deal. The colours are gorgeous and they are so highly pigmented, it lasts a very very long time.
I like how the eyeshadow doesn't disappear in photos with flash.
Price is so perfect and I hope they never increase the price of this.
I bought it from coastal scents website and I have nothing bad to say about either the packaging or the shipping time even though I live half way across the world.
I will definitely buy again and I have gotten my friends all over this too.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by rosil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

At first I was worried about buying cheap palettes, but this palette is the best thing i ever bought. i have a fair skin, I love earth tones and gold and the colors in this palette are what I want. i highly recommend it for you ladies. buy it and save money..

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by Colorlicious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great colours, great pigmentation and pretty long-lasting given the fact that I never use a primer.
I also have the 88 shimmery + matte palette (I think it's the warm one, though I'm not sure). I like them both and honestly, they look and last exactly the same as some other expensive brands I've tried if you have the proper tools: good brushes and a bit of imagination. I use the MAC brushes with these palettes and it looks amazing and neat. It never gave me any allergies or breakouts. Some shades are more pigmented than others, some are more creamy and some are more powdery. However, you can achieve a beautiful look. I'm not a a begginer in what make-up concerns, though I'm not a professional either. But from my personal experience and for my taste, it's a good product and I would buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 4:17:00 PM More reviews by BeatFaceBeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have owned this and the CS 88 Warm palette for about two and a half yrs. now. Purchased through the CS website during a sale (Mother`s day I believe, yeah I buy myself presents don't judge me, lol). I was just getting into makeup and had seen endless tutorials on YouTube using these and had no shadows and now idea where to start, plus these are an amazing deal. So I went over to CoastalScents.com and brought a basic starter kit/combo package, barely $40USD for everything. (Metal mania, warm, 10 blush and some brushes). It was extremely well packaged like others said and nothing broken :) I used to use this everyday religiously for work with the 88 Warm palette for whatever mattes I needed. I started buying more es and up until recently packed these away and didn't use them, then just the other day I pulled them back out and fell in love again. The jewel tone Metallic colors in this palette are to die for, so pretty. I love the perfect mix of neutrals and dark colors so you can get sweet or vampy ;) I've done some amazing smokey eyes with this. I think all of mine are equally pigmented :) although some of the lighter colors are not true to pan, if it looks orange I'll swatch it on the back of my hand and it'll just be basically white shimmer :/ But for the most part all pan color, pigmented, blendable, beautiful. I don't think all these colors are metallic, to me some seem shimmer, frost, satin and of course metallic :) apply wet to bring out the colors/finishes more plus they last longer. Some fallout/slight fading but nothing to cry about. I do recommend and would repurchase but I don't see that being necessary.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2012 2:31:00 AM More reviews by darkeyedfran

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Alright gals, I'm going to tell it to you straight. I have been working with makeup for a while and am by no means a beginner, I have and use highend and drugstore products. I firmly believe that products can be great or not so great despite the amount of money spent on the item. I purchased this through the coastal scents website. I am in love with the beautiful arrays of shimmery and metallic colors! I must say some of the pinks are intimidating, but they can be sheered out for a more wearable look. This has a good variety of more toned down colors, which will be great to try and work into work looks (teacher, off for the summer) and will be really fun for the weekends!
The thing that I need to stress is that having a good primer, base, and dense brushes is KEY to getting these to work like high end shadows! Some colors work like a dream,and some colors can be lacking in creaminess and pigmentation when applied to the lid. I NEVER use any shadow (be it MAC, Urban Decay, or revlon, NYX, etc.) without a primer, I always use my Stila prime pot primer. I find that adding a thin layer of a NYX jumbo pencil over your primer brings out the life and texture of these colors..I can't stress it enough, but it makes a huge difference! The shadows have much less fallout onto my cheeks and spread out more evenly on the lid...and are much more pigmented over the base! These shadows are not as hard to work with as the 88 warm palette, they are much more pigmented and look more expensive right out of pan, However, I do think that these colors look best with a base. I also think that brushes make a big difference, the fluffier the brush the more sheer the application in a general sense. I think that these are great paired up together, but I really like to add a matte or satin shade in the crease, highlight, or outer V, I feel like there is more dimension when you mix up finishes. This palette is great paired with the 88 warm palette and it helps keep these shades from being to overpowering. With the proper application, these are amazing and long-wearing, I highly recommend these, but you might need to play around with it to get the best results! Also, this arrived very quickly! Shipped on Thursday arrived around noon on Saturday!
Edit:July 3 2013: I still use this product and it has been going strong! This really is one of the most perfect palettes.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No