September 2, 2014 | 1996 users online

Powder - Ben Nye - Neutral Set Translucent Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by beccagolightly

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Blue

I've had this in the 49g pot, have had it for just under a year and have barely made a dent. It goes on beautifully and doesn't alter your make up colour at all. Makes everything stay put throughout the day and is oh so very cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 2:25:00 AM More reviews by bribi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Perfect. This powder doesn't cake, doesn't alter tone, and sets your makeup all day. Plus its dirt cheap! The container isn't awesome but I just tap some out into an old powder cap and I'm good to go. Plus it lasts forever.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by lizzie0110

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this powder. Still doesn't quite keep me matte all day but does keep my makeup from sliding around on my face; a quick blot with blotting paper or powder and I'm good to go! Plus the price is amazing; I got a huge tub of it for about £15, which will take me ages to use up.

The only shame is about the packaging, which is a little annoying and doesn't travel well. But on the other hand if they spent more on packaging that would increase the price, and you can buy sifter jars online for not very much.

I some people have mentioned the ingredients on here, saying that it's like putting deodorant on your face, which I guess it is. What I don't get is why this is such a big deal? You put deodorant on you underarms, and the skin there is much more sensitive and thin than the skin on your face. As long as it's not irritating your skin I think the ingredients in this are fine.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 11:31:00 PM More reviews by greenfaerie38

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite setting powder by far. I have been dancing for nearly twenty years, and was introduced to this during prep for a performance. Not only did it keep my face shine (and sweat) free, but it also prevented my foundation from melting off under the stage lights. When I found out how cheap it is, it became a major part of my makeup collection. I've tried several other colorless setting powders since then, but nothing comes close to this. I just lightly dust it over my foundation (liquid, cream, even powders) and I'm good to go.

6/26/14 Edited to add: I recently pressed this into a powder compact, and that has made travel much easier. I was a bit worried that pressing this would alter the application or finish, but it still works just as well, and the compact makes it much easier to travel with.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2013 1:24:00 AM More reviews by denns

This stuff would have serious HG potential, if it weren't for the ingredients. I too was obsessed with the finish it gave to the skin and the lasting power (it makes my oily-combo skin matte all day) until another MUAer pointed out that its "basically like putting deodorant on your face".

The ingredients: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Sorbic Acid.

If this doesn't freak you out, then by all means, PLEASE try this powder. It works wonders (I use Neutral Set on my NW20 skin, but it blends in beautifully and matches nearly every skintone) and you won't be sorry. Unfortunately I reserve this only for special nights out when I want to look flawless, or on a day that I know I won't be able to touch up my makeup. I won't repurchase because the ingredients freak me out - I know the deodorant-aluminum/breast cancer link (in regards to underarms) hasn't been 100% proven, but why take the chance? Sad, because I love the look of this powder!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2013 7:48:00 AM More reviews by faija

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got Nutmeg. I'm Trinidad in NARS and have yellow undertones. I'd be NW56 if I had red undertones. Nutmeg is perfect for me. I have an oily tzone and the thing that amazes me is that it keeps the oil at bay! Like I had to keep looking in the mirror because my face was not oily! It was weird for me. LOL This stuff is amazing!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 8:52:00 AM More reviews by dawndie23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Super quality powder

I was surprised that it's so difficult to find reviews on this powder. It's very finely milled and absorbs oil better than any other powder I've used. I have this in about 5 different shades....it may seem like over-kill but I'll explain how I use it to correct off-color (i.e. cheap) foundations.

I use the Neutral Set (Colorless Face Powder) to set all of my makeup and powders. This stuff absorbs in the skin and has no chalky residue. This powder is my go to oil blaster in the summer.

I use the Banana Viasge Powder in a similiar manner as the Neutral Set, but this one gives me face a touch of warmth. The color absorbs beautifully and doesn't look 'yellow', it just soaks up the oils, sets my concealer/foundation and adds a warm glow. I love this stuff!

I also have Coco-Tan, Chestnut and Sienna. These three are brown shades with different undertones. Chestnut is pretty much an exact match to my skintone. Coco-Tan has a slight orange undertone and Sienna has a more reddish undertone. Chestnut is in between.

While I can wear each of these powders over my foundations and still look great, I find that I can use them to counteract any foundations that have funky undertones when I apply them. For example, L'Oreal True Match foundations leave a weird greyish undertone on me....even when I set it with my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish or other powders. But when I set it with my Ben Nye powder in Sienna, it balances out the chalky grey tones and leaves me with a nice finish.

I can't say enough about these powders. I love them. You get 1.75 oz/49 gm. for pennies compared to Smashbox or MAC products. I only paid $3.75 for the tinted powders and $4.25 for the Neutral and Banana Visage powders!!! These can be purchased at most theatrical stage shops/costume shops or you can order online. I found a fantastic website for a wonderful company in Wisconsin that carries a wide variety of Ben Nye Products.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Live4Beauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow...I bought this on a whim at a costume shop for Halloween and I'm so glad I did! I think I paid $6 for a HUGE container, and that $6 was one of the best beauty investments I have made.

The powder is white, and it looks white when applying. For me, I like to use a sponge to apply all over and really press into the pores for a matte, poreless finish. I use my MUFE kabuki brush to buff all over once it's done, and it finishes completely colorless.

I find that this does a fantastic job of setting make up and keeping oily skin at bay. It doesn't look chalky and photographs beautifully.

I'm not crazy about the packaging. I actually use a little paper plate and pour a little amount on it, dab my sponge in it, and then press and roll all over. I tried using it on a steel mixing palette, but since there was no lip on the palette, most of it just kind of spilled/blew away.

It can be found in costume stores, Ben Nye's website, and I believe on Naimies.com. It's my new fave setting powder!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2010 7:56:00 PM More reviews by miomega

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I find that this works best over a foundation. Alone, it's kind of average, absorbing about 80-90% of oil and leaving the skin kind of lifeless. Atop a foundation, that figures rises to about 100% and your face is left flawless all day. Go figure.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2010 1:18:00 PM More reviews by knicks

I had to send an email to my husband to get it while he was on business trip in UK. It was pricey for me but it was worth it. It sets my liquid foundation beautifully and because it is colorless, I need not need to worry about being chalky. I wish the packaging was in a shifter jar. I had to pour it into a proper shifter jar so I had to take one point off the overall because of the packaging. Overall, I would definitely repurchase.