November 1, 2014 | 846 users online

Sunscreen - Lavanila - The Healthy Suncreen SPF 40 Face Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2014 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Diane1272

I use this sunscreen around my eyes. It doesn't make my eyes burn, and it is moisturizing. I couldn't use it on my entire face unfortunately, I'm too oily for that.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2013 1:29:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I tried really hard to like this sunscreen. I was looking for something natural and moisturizing so that I would not have to apply two separate products in the morning. This sunscreen is everything I did not want. It moisturizes well, but it goes on greasy, no matter how little I apply. Also, my face itches like crazy when I am wearing this product. I am not allergic to any ingredients in any face products, so I do not understand this phenomenon. I cannot use makeup successfully over this product, the grease factor is so high. I will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by endlessmike

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I did not like this product that much when I first bought it - it felt greasy and looked whitening. However, it has since become my daily sunscreen (my daylight savings from super now discontinued and expired...) The greasiness goes away after about 30 minutes and the white cast is more pearly than chalky (no flakes or streaks!). The main reasons for repurchase for me are 1. this washes off at the end of the day 2. no -cone ingredients and 3, haven't found anything better that meets criteria 1 & 2. I would not necessarily "trust" this sunscreen for a day largely spent outdoors because I understand the concentration of active ingredients is relatively low.

Edit: I've been mixing this with burnout sunscreen which makes it less greasy feeling and also costs less. Together they are really nice!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2012 11:01:00 AM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's greasy, it leaves a strong white cast, and it's really shiny. In other words, it has everything I DON'T want in a sunscreen. By the end of the afternoon, I had developed 4 blemishes! UGH. Horrible product for acne-prone.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2011 6:39:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I am on the hunt for a natural sunscreen (preferably one on the EWG site because not all natural products are necessarily less toxic). This product is natural and has an excellent rating on the EWG site. However, it is so thick! I like natural products because I think they're better for health/healthy skin, but I think the ideal product is one that is both natural AND allows skin to breathe. Even for days I don't wear makeup and for body sun protection, I feel lightweight products (that aren't waterproof) are best for the skin. I give this 2 points for being natural and easy to find. (A lot of natural products are sold in obscure stores, but this can be found at any Sephora.)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2011 12:59:00 PM More reviews by barbamama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm allergic to chemical sunscreens and I'm always on the lookout for physical sunscreens that I can wear on my face. This one is far too greasy -- I would wear this on my face only at the beach. It's okay for the body, but too expensive to buy just for that purpose.
Shiseido's sunscreen is still the best I have found so far, it's not greasy and it's long-lasting.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2011 1:05:00 AM More reviews by ShalimarMoon

This is not quite my HG sunscreen, but it's become my HG daytime eye cream, being the only SPF product I can wear anywhere near my eyes. It does leave a barely discernable white cast on my fair skin, but that's a good thing under my eyes, where it brightens up dark circles. I'm not sure how well it would work on dark skin, but it mostly absorbs so it might be ok. What I love about it is that it's moisturizing enough to plump out my fine lines, and gentle enough not to bother my sensitive skin or my eyes. It contains Hyaluronic acid, and, happily, no parabens or nanoparticles. I do sometimes wear it on my face as well as my eyes, but it is a little sticky/heavy--haven't really decided whether I like it on my face or not. Still, I will definitely buy again, as it's absolutely worth it for my eyes alone.

Edit: I eventually found this to be drying on my eyes, probably due to the minerals. I started using Clinique SPF 30 instead.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2011 6:03:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a good product, but not perfect. I'll share the "cons" first - there is not much UVA protection. It also can leave a white cast to the face, but on me it fades after a few minutes. However, on a darker skin tone (I am NC15) it would look ghastly white and I'm not sure if it would ever go away.
There are lots of pros though, and that's why I would repurchase:
There is no strong discernible sunscreen smell. it doesn't really smell like anything! The texture is very nice. it's a tad moisturizing (not too much), and absorbs quickly. The white cast fades after a few minutes, and is remedied by foundation anyway. I have had no irritation from this sunscreen. it's chemical sunscreen free AND paraben free, yahoo! It also has not clogged my pores, as most sunscreens do. It also does not make my face shiny/oily at all! It wears well all day. the ingredient list is nice, too! I just wish it had more UVA protection. I suppose for an everyday sunscreen, when I'm hardly in the sun, it is fine though.
A lot of people are comparing this to the Baby Block. I personally don't like the Baby Block as much. it is harder to spread on the face, and thus leaves much more of a white cast. it is not as moisturizing, but those with oily skin may prefer this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2011 11:00:00 AM More reviews by zee81

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this sunscreen. It moisturizes so well and it is so easy to rub the white cast away. I have been using this for over a week now and my face is looking better already. I had a bunch of dry spots especially on my cheek and they are now gone. Definitely worth giving a try, it is a little pricey but for the amount you need, a little does go a long way. This is definitely worth repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2010 12:50:00 PM More reviews by iatethewholewheelofcheese

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used pretty much a full tube of both the Face cream one, and the baby formula. As others have said, I too noticed the ingredients were practically identical, only the baby one was cheaper and a bit more product and green tea.

The main difference between the two is the Face one is more emollient. I believe it has more Shea butter and hyalauronic acid. Sometimes I found I needed to set it with powder. The baby one leaves less of a sheen so it is good to go right after being applied, however, when my skin is more on the dry or flaky side the less-emollient nature is a con as the sunscreen does not sink in as well and leaves some white/a cast or accentuates flakes.

All in all, I will continue to repurchase the baby formula and use the remainder of the Face version on dry-skin days.

It should be said, I used this sunscreen daily from May to September in the South Florida sun and did not burn or tan while wearing this and often a hat + sunglasses. I was outside and sweating for 6+ hours some days for work, and I also run for about an hour daily.

This is definitely a staple item for me. It also seemed to soothe my skin and red marks went away faster. I am breakout prone and did not experience an increase. If anything it helped improve my skin since red marks went away faster. I also used a generous amount of product daily (thick layer that was white upon application but sank in), and each tube lasted several months.